Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the Chances Janish Remains the Starter the Rest of the Year?

What are the Chances Janish Remains the Starter the Rest of the Year?

This team looks SOOOOO much better with Janish at SS over Cabrera. Neither guy hits much, so it makes no sense to me why Janish wouldn't keep the role once Cabrera comes back. And one argument should be completely put to rest at this point.... the one about "team chemistry" being impacted. The team has played better wit Cabrera on the DL.

Janish is consistently getting to balls Cabrera would have no chance at and his arm is vastly superior. It's really a significant difference between the two, IMO. With Janish on the field, that infield defense is pretty sick, the best the Reds have had since 1994.

I really hope Dusty can see what is GLARINGLY obvious to the rest of us.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What are the Chances Janish Remains the Starter the Rest of the Year?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    This team looks SOOOOO much better with Janish at SS over Cabrera. Neither guy hits much, so it makes no sense to me why Janish wouldn't keep the role once Cabrera comes back. And one argument should be completely put to rest at this point.... the one about "team chemistry" being impacted. The team has played better wit Cabrera on the DL.

Janish is consistently getting to balls Cabrera would have no chance at and his arm is vastly superior. It's really a significant difference between the two, IMO. With Janish on the field, that infield defense is pretty sick, the best the Reds have had since 1994.

I really hope Dusty can see what is GLARINGLY obvious to the rest of us.
    When OCab is healthy, he'll be back...even if Janish is hitting .500.

Dusty's boys are Gomes and OCab....either of them being relegated to a reserve role is a very very small chance. Sadly.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Its obvious Janish is the superior defensive player. But Cabrera's defense is VASTLY underrated on here.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Its obvious Janish is the superior defensive player. But Cabrera's defense is VASTLY underrated on here.
    i agree.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Janish will be back on the bench once Cabrera is off the DL.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Janish will be back on the bench once Cabrera is off the DL.
    And I don't have a problem with that.... Since the ASB OCab has been playing very well on both sides of the ball...

He now had a nice 2 week break from ball and I look for him to come back raking..
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Interesting lark...what are you basing that on?

I think his 'captaining' of the d is defensable.....but I don't see him holding a candle to PJ when is comes to range, hands, arm, or dp ability.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

While I'd be in favor of Janish keeping the job it's not going to happen.As others have mentioned, it's just not the way Dusty does things.

One good thing is that Janish is getting some PT and looking like he could handle a full time roll.It's nice to know you have a very capable backup at SS when the guy you throw out there every day is 35.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Agreed. I think the Reds are better with Janish at SS. He made a few nice plays this weekend and has basically been flawless in the field since taking over for Cabrera. I would love to see Janish get the majority of the starts at SS once Cabrera returns but it's not going to happen. I fully expect Cabrera to play just about every day.

Not a chance -- for better or worse, Janish is just keeping it warm for Cabrera.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Interesting lark...what are you basing that on?
    I don't presume to speak for 11larkin11 but the general consensus has been that he is awful on defense. I must admit, early in the season it looked like he had zero range but I believe he's improved on that score and I think people don't give him near enough credit for his arm. I've seen him make some great throws from the hole.

I think his 'captaining' of the d is defensable.....but I don't see him holding a candle to PJ when is comes to range, hands, arm, or dp ability.[/QUOTE]

I agree that Janish is the better defensive player in all phases but one would think Cabrera is a slug and Janish is the second coming of Ozzie Smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'd love to see Janish be the starting SS even after Cabrera returns from the DL. However..............

I know that Cabrera will be hitting second and playing SS just as soon as he's back on the roster.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

I think Janish is better, but not by any significant margin so that I'm going to cry foul when Dusty inevitably gives the job back to Orlando. It is what it is man. If anything though, Dusty will be wary of overworking Cabrera down the stretch, I'm sure of that, which spells more playing time for Janish.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I think you'll see Janish get more playing time now. I think the Reds are going to want both healthy so you will see them share time at SS. I'd venture to say Cabrera gets 60% of the starts the rest of the way and Janish will get the others.

I totally agree.

I will say this. Janish is making a very good case for being the everyday SS in 2011.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 08-16-2010 at 07:54 AM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?