Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What if the Reds had traded Bruce instead of Hamilton for Volquez?

What if the Reds had traded Bruce instead of Hamilton for Volquez?

In the winter of 2008 the Reds would have traded Bruce instead of Hamilton to Texas for Edinson Volquez

Phillips 2b
    Cabrera ss
    Votto 1b
    Rolen 3b
    Hamilton RF
    Gomes LF
    Stubbs/Heisey CF
    Hernandez/Hannigan c

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What If?

the what if game..what if the reds had beaten the mets in 99 in the one game playoff? we would have been in the playoffs right..? well, that's the same thing with hamilton, we made the decision and now we are stuck with what we got.

I am disappointed we let hamilton go, HE was a great player but, obviously reds management and ownership thought diffrently.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemo14 View Post
    In the winter of 2008 the Reds would have traded Bruce instead of Hamilton to Texas for Edinson Volquez

Phillips 2b
    Cabrera ss
    Votto 1b
    Rolen 3b
    Hamilton RF
    Gomes LF
    Stubbs/Heisey CF
    Hernandez/Hannigan c
    It would have been an absolute horrendous trade. Bruce was the top prospect in baseball at the beginning of 2008. Volquez was nowhere to be found on that list.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by rolenmvp View Post
    the what if game..what if the reds had beaten the mets in 99 in the one game playoff? we would have been in the playoffs right..? well, that's the same thing with hamilton, we made the decision and now we are stuck with what we got.

I am disappointed we let hamilton go, HE was a great player but, obviously reds management and ownership thought diffrently.
    It seems the Reds management and ownership thought wrongly. And I think it is a good question, about a seemingly bad decision made by the ownership. We can't know how it would have effected the club house chemistry. But the numbers speak for themselves.

Here is an article from August 10th referring to the same subject. If someone else already posted it I apologize.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...to-the-rangers

10 game lead on the Cards

Votto would never get pitched around if Hamilton was batting behind him

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    It would have been an absolute horrendous trade. Bruce was the top prospect in baseball at the beginning of 2008. Volquez was nowhere to be found on that list.
    It was a horrible trade at the time anyway

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    It was a horrible trade at the time anyway
    Of course it was.

Hamilton had broken down physically in his season with the Reds and no one knew if he was going to do that every year. The Reds desperately needed pitching and both sides got what they needed. Dont let the fact that Volquez won 17 games and made the all star team shatter your opinion.

Re: What if the Reds had traded Bruce instead of Hamilton for Volquez?

At the end of the day, I take good pitching over good hitting.

Volquez adds one more arm to what is a deep pitching staff.

You can never have enough quality arms on a team. Plus, at the time the trade was done, we possibly couldn't have forecasted this type of success for Hamilton.

Didn't we just have one of these threads about the Hamilton-Volquez trade?

We should focus on what we have.
    Votto for MVP

Are avatars a perk?

I'd redo that deal in a second. But...

With Hamilton, I think the Reds were concerned about how often he was injured. It didn't seem like the other players on the team cared for him either. I know some of them didn't like the attention that Hamilton was getting with his feel-good story about drug addiction.

Recovering Cubs Fan

What if the Cubs had held onto Hamilton instead of handing him over in the Rule 5 draft? Believe me, Cub fans play that game a lot. What if Bruce turns out to be as good as Hamilton, without the baggage?

Also, what if the Reds had done what lots of people on Redszone (including myself) wanted them to do, and trade that one prospect, Votto or whatever, for a real ace, like Dontrelle Willis or Erik Bedard?

There's a lot of ways to play what if. I'm just happy that right now it looks like someone has an idea of what they're doing, and they're running the show in Cincinnati.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Are avatars a perk?

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    What if the Cubs had held onto Hamilton instead of handing him over in the Rule 5 draft? Believe me, Cub fans play that game a lot. What if Bruce turns out to be as good as Hamilton, without the baggage?

Also, what if the Reds had done what lots of people on Redszone (including myself) wanted them to do, and trade that one prospect, Votto or whatever, for a real ace, like Dontrelle Willis or Erik Bedard?

There's a lot of ways to play what if. I'm just happy that right now it looks like someone has an idea of what they're doing, and they're running the show in Cincinnati.
    If the Cubs had kept Hamilton, he'd be in Chicago losing with them. :

why is hamilton batting fifth?

I loved seeing Josh Hamilton in a Reds uni but I still like what the Reds got. You don't find arms like Volquez very often and he showed in '08 what he can do to opposing offenses.

Gotta give up talent to get talent back.

Phillips 2b
    Cabrera ss
    Votto 1b
    Rolen 3b
    Hamilton RF
    Gomes LF
    Stubbs/Heisey CF
    Hernandez/Hannigan c
    Then Bruce would be hitting .362 and 26 HR and Hamilton would be striking out every other at bat and people would STILL be *****ing.

Turn Off Ads?