Turn Off Ads?

Thread: SI: Posnanski on Stan Musial

SI: Posnanski on Stan Musial

I read this a couple weeks ago and meant to post it then. But then all the hoo-hah happened with the Cardinals and I was afraid it would get lost in the chaos...

Anyhow, a brilliantly-written where-is-he-now on Stan Musial. We are blessed with having Stan Musial around and lucky for Posnanski and his writings. he really is the best sportswriter in existence right now.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...2566/index.htm
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: SI: Posnanski on Stan Musial

Thanks for posting. Posnanski is everything a writer should be. If you haven't read The Machine I highly encourage you to do so.

WKU Hilltoppers

That was an excellent piece about an excellent human being. I made both my sons read it and convinced my wife to read it as well.
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base
    --Dave Barry

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Stan Musial is a great man, in every way that greatness can be measured.

Fantastic piece.

Thanks Roy.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

From the article:

"Stan Musial," his teammate Bob Gibson says, "is the nicest man I ever met in baseball." Gibson smiles. "And, to be honest, I can't relate to that. I never knew that nice and baseball went together."
    Smiles!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

They hold a citywide campaign—Stand for Stan!—to encourage President Obama to award Musial the Presidential Medal of Freedom, something like an American knighthood, a medal that has already been given to Musial contemporaries Aaron, Williams, Joe DiMaggio and Frank Robinson. Fans are encouraged to have their photos taken with a paper Flat Stan the Man, a play off the children's book, Flat Stanley.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/stl/fan_forum/standforstan_index.jsp
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Great article! Thanks for posting!
    Musial is such a great man! He is the most underated superstar since WWII. You almost never hear his name in a discussion of all time great players. Which is a real shame. But as great a ballplayer as he was. He's an even better human being. MLB should be honoring him every chance they get as a great example to all.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?