Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MERGED: Colin Cowherd rips Votto, the Reds, and Paul Daughtery

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

MERGED: Colin Cowherd rips Votto, the Reds, and Paul Daughtery

Colin Cowerd has been ripping Joey Votto and his supporters for about an hour now. He said, "The all star vote is broke down into 3 categories, legacy, stats, and popularity. He goes on to say that his legacy is not that of Gonzalez, Prince Albert or Howard. He said that he is not as popular, and that his stats are just a little bit better than those mentioned.

I do agree that these other 1st baseman have a better legacy, but Joey Votto has been playing for 3 years. That is not enough time to develope a legacy. He will have a great one.

His numbers are the best, regardless of time, span or anything else. Votto has better numbers than everyone else.

I agree that the others are more popular but that is because of their legacy, not their stats this year. So in my opinion, it is not a 3 dimension argument, but a 2 dimension argument. Popularity and legacy are the same.

Ryan Howard is not putting up great numbers, he is an all star because of his manager.

Colin Cowherd has a problem with Cincy.

Colin is doing a good thing for Votto, he is talking about him.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Colin Cowerd ripping Joey Votto

The problem with Howard making it its not like hes the 4th best first baseman. Hes 7th in OPS. Thats not even counting his D which he certainly isnt excelling at either. Those are basic things, you can go down the list and the guy isnt better than Votto. Vottos road OPS is better than Howards home OPS. So even the home field thing is a stupid argument. Not to mention that Votto has been the better player since hes came into the league over Howard.

Hopefully it turns out that Votto is the better all around player, but Howard is an Allstar. In addition to the HRs and RBIs, he is one of the most poplular players.

Joey not making the all-star team is the best thing that has ever happened to him.. When was the last time he got this much press?? NEVER! This will do nothing but advance his star power to the next level and help get Joey Votto more money when his contract time comes up in a few years. The bottom line is that the all-star snub has brought the arrival of Joey Votto the superstar to the couch of all Americans. Not to mention he will probably get voted in.

I think that Cowherd actually feels bad that Votto didn't make the all star team. He tries to come off as some arrogant big city guy, that hates small town people. But really I think he's just trying to get Joey the press he deserves. He even mentioned it on his show that Votto has become way more popular in the last two days than he has been in the last three years.

Colin Blowhard doesn't really know that much about sports - if you really pay attention to his show. He's mouthy and has an opinion - which is what makes for good talk radio. Some of his points are valid, but for the most part he really doesn't know that much - not about baseball anyway.

If Votto was in a bigger market or in a market where they have "big boy radio" as he calls it - he would be signing a different tune about Votto.

There is no way that you can look at Joey Votto's stats and not say that he shouldn't be in the All-Star game. We all know how the All-Star game works, but to say that Votto shouldn't be in the All-Star game is reaching a new height of stupidity. But, Blowhard's credibility was shot long before this.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

This All-Star snub is going to fuel Votto into a great second half, to go with his great first half, and he is going to win the NL MVP. Bank on it.

He also blamed Cincinnati fans for not voting Votto in, which is ridiculous considering the kind of name Albert Pujols is.

I was watching this on t.v. and was infuriated by the comments Colin had on the topic. His biggest argument was that (when comparing Votto to the likes of Gonzalez) he plays in a "hitters" ballpark whereas Gonzalez plays in a "pitchers" ballpark. This he said was the biggest reason Joey Votto wasn't a "star", backing up his point with the fact that Joey has hit 13 homeruns at home and 6 (at the time of airing, now 8 obviously) on the road.

Right away I thought this could be the case, but I wanted to take a look into how far the homeruns travel, and I immediately think it discredits Colin's point.

(As of the airing)
    Votto - 408 feet
    Pujols - 406 feet
    Gonzalez - 393 feet

This I feel makes the whole home/away argument invalid. Just my $.02. I am done ranting.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Jay Mohr is doing the same thing today while filling in for Jim Rome. These guys have to disagree because then it stirs up the hive and gets a reaction. If they agreed, would anyone have started a thread about it? Take it with a grain of salt.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Seems like whenever I watch/listen to Cowerd he'll take some ridiculous positions like this. I don't think it's him being a dunce, its more a factor of him taking a controversial standpoint to boost ratings/create more lively discussion. Either way I'm not really a fan of him (don't dislike him either) and this won't really change my opinion of him.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

part of BBN

Dont know about today but I heard yesterday's show and he was doin the ole " Who is Joey Votto" stuff. I listen to Cowherd alot on my job. The man is pretty smart in some areas of sports . Baseball and college basketball "arent" two of them. I bet he couldnt name you 2 NY Yankees starters not named A-Rod or Jeter. Basically I am saying
    1: as other poster said....this is getting Joey tons of positive press
    2: Cowherd doesnt know enough about baseball to get me riled up about it.
    Last edited by jmac; 07-06-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Colin Cowherd is a jack.

Quote Originally Posted by defender View Post
    Hopefully it turns out that Votto is the better all around player, but Howard is an Allstar. In addition to the HRs and RBIs, he is one of the most poplular players.
    Huh? "Howard is an all star?" Wtf? Isn't that reverse circular logic? If Manuel picked Votto instead of Howard, could he justify it to Phillies fans by saying, "but Votto is an all star?"

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

Don't like Cowherd - never have. Lots of volume, not much said.

Turn Off Ads?