Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: MERGED: Colin Cowherd rips Votto, the Reds, and Paul Daughtery

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Daugherty v Cowherd

Cowherd may not be a believer, but, fwiw, both Erik Kuselias and Buster Olney both believe that the Reds will be in the playoffs, "no doubt about it" per ESPN radio Saturday (8/21) morning.

Olney cited the schedule, and lauded the Reds' starting pitching--the ability to overcome Cueto's suspension-- and bullpen depth as prime examples.

Let's hope that they are correct.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by jfleur87 View Post
    Ah, yes, good ol Athens, I actually should probably change my location, I graduated last November, but my girlfriend is an excellent reason to return.

but indeed,
    OU Grads fellas? Class of '98 here.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Re: MERGED: Colin Cowherd rips Votto, the Reds, and Paul Daughtery

Did Cowherd even play middle school sports. He probably didn't even play YMCA basketball when he was a kid. His opinion means nothing. Just a ratings guy.

He was at i again today bashing the Reds with Curt Schilling. Bashing Arroyo as our "Ace". Bashing the rest of the pitching staff. Bashing us being in the NL. Bashing us being in the weakest division in baseball. Saying Yankee fans are worried with their pitching staff even though they are so much better than us while we think we are so great. Dude just cant get enough

He's a west coast guy. The Reds 5-1 start on this crucial west coast trip must be killing him. No other reason for him to be trashing the Reds today - except ratings. He must be getting a lot of feedback from Reds supporters. Which is what he wants.

I listened for about 10 minutes on my drive at lunch. To me it seemed that Cowherd stance (while I was listening) is that the Reds starting pitching isn't built for the playoffs. He put some stats out there about the Reds against good starters (he stated 9 straight loses to Carpenter, I'm not sure if that's right or now). He stated that we've been beating up on weaker teams and not fared well against tougher teams (losing record against the Cards, Braves, Padres, and Phillies).

While I believe the Reds will make the playoffs I sort of agree with the sentiment that the Cards and Phillies are better built for the playoffs with their pitching. Going against Halladay twice, Oswalt and Hamels in a five game series would be brutal. Same goes for the Cardinals with Carpenter and Wainwright.

He did keep on stating that Arroyo, Leake, and Harang aren't TOR guys which would make him seem rather off-base with Reds fans since Harang hasn't made a start for months. And he kept stating that Arroyo was a 4 or 5 guy with the Red Sox when they won the Series and he's the Reds Ace now - and not stating that he was rather young at the time.

My take on his opinion was that the Reds are built for the regular season and not the playoffs, and that Reds fans shouldn't pretend otherwise. I can't say he is that far off. Between Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Wood, and Leake - there isn't a dominant TOR guy that you know you can throw out there and is unhittable. However, the playoffs are all about getting hot at the right time. And if the bats are clicking and Cueto, Volquez, and Bailey get hot. It could be an exciting October. On the same hand, if they start throwing duds out there, it could be a sad three game series if we draw the Phillies or Giants with their TOR guys.

Just my take.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Mr. Milner, you are correct in your take, but Colin is inflammatory and evil. Just because a team isn't built for the playoffs doesn't make them a fraud. The Reds have a solid team built around a deep rotation and great defense. If this team gets hot in October, they can beat anyone. The 1990 Reds only had one TOR guy (Rijo), and could not compete with the star-power of Ricky, Bic Mac and Canseco. But somehow those Reds not only won, but swept the A's. I am remaining optimistic about this team. Go Reds!
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Curt Schilling is a pompous jackass. So that show must have been entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    Hey, I live in Athens as well

Just in general, it was nice having Gottlieb on instead of Cowherd. He didn't say anything about the Reds (not that I'm aware of).

Roger Clemens took up most of the headlines.
    I live just outside of Athens and work at OU.
    ----------
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, he would have given us stomachs." - David Daye

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Curt Schilling is a pompous jackass. So that show must have been entertaining.
    It was kinda funny.

Before they started talking about Arroyo, they were discussing the little league world series. Cowherd has no problem with it being on TV, and Schilling was like "oh, I completely disagree."

He was basically saying that young kids aren't equipped to deal with the pressure of potential failure on such a large stage, which I agree with.

Colin was like......"uh yeah, you make a strong argument."

I can't stand the LLWS on TV. Not because of Schilling's reasoning, but because of the way they cover it. They act like these kids are 6 years old and only interested in the snowcone after the game.

When I was 12, our Little League all-star team had double sessions (five hours a day), and when we finally lost in the District Finals, I was despondent for a week. I still remember each game pretty vividly. It sure as hell wasn't all lollipops and rainbows like ESPN's coverage makes it out to be. We wanted to win. Badly.

Turn Off Ads?