Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fangraphs: Bruce...A Work in Progress at the Plate

Re: Fangraphs: Bruce...A Work in Progress at the Plate

I hope and pray Bruce has turned the corner but he's just played 3 games against the Dbacks. It's a hitter's park and he's been facing lousy pitchers for the most part. I'm going to reserve judgement until after he's finished in LA and SF where the air is a little heavier and the pitching is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I hope and pray Bruce has turned the corner but he's just played 3 games against the Dbacks. It's a hitter's park and he's been facing lousy pitchers for the most part. I'm going to reserve judgement until after he's finished in LA and SF where the air is a little heavier and the pitching is better.
    Yep. And for that matter, he did do this back in June too. After a dismal start to the season, he went on a torrid pace and everyone was talking about how he had turned the corner. Too early to know if that's really the case.

The good news is that baseball is about adjustments and making more adjustments when others adjust to you. Hopefully a little light went on with Jay and we'll see this the rest of the season. The Reds could really use that extra umph consistently down the stretch.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I don't think he's turned the corner, he's just streaky. And when he gets hot, his confidence seems to surge and he's likely to have a run of multiple hit games where he is barreling the ball and even making hard outs. Line drives to every field. You just hope that his hot streak lasts for three weeks. I think he'll have a big September, he's proven to be a guy who loves to hit in the fall.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    I don't think he's turned the corner, he's just streaky. And when he gets hot, his confidence seems to surge and he's likely to have a run of multiple hit games where he is barreling the ball and even making hard outs. Line drives to every field. You just hope that his hot streak lasts for three weeks. I think he'll have a big September, he's proven to be a guy who loves to hit in the fall.
    Call it what you want but when you just look at the results it's a whole lot easier to be pessimistic. I see a noticeable change in his game, the results are just further proof of it to me. One could be right if this change he has made doesn't last but if it does the only thing that will change is his results when facing better competition. In other words I don't necessarily expect him to hit .467 against LA but I don't expect him to revert to what he was doing 2-3 weeks ago.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 08-20-2010 at 11:21 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    This is a fair critique and possibility. However, EE is minus glove at 3B whereas Bruce is a plus glove in RF. Unless EE really hits, he doesn't have much value. Bruce can continue to hit as he has and still be a league average player. It certainly gives you room for more patience.

I would also offer than EE and Bruce are on different planes when it comes to makeup. I have no idea just how important makeup is in a guy's ability to reach his potential. But if it were a skill on the 20-80 scale, Bruce would be like a 70 to EE's 40.
    Am I the only one flabbergasted by the fact that RedsManRick used "makeup" to argue a position? Seriously. My flabber is gasted all over the place. Granted, he used some numbers to help make the point, but still ... I'll bet he had to shower after posting that.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Just when you think he might be coming out of it.... he goes 0 for a Weekend and says 'not so fast'.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

No offense but sometimes you sound like a woman scorned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    No offense but sometimes you sound like a woman scorned.
    Or a kid who broke the toy that came in the cereal box.. It WAS a piece of crap, I told you!!! But it was soooo cool on the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Just when you think he might be coming out of it.... he goes 0 for a Weekend and says 'not so fast'.
    Seriously?

I'm just confused by the Bruce hate on this board, although I guess I shouldn't be.....Reds fans in general tend to dislike their homegrown stars, especially the young ones.

It's even funnier when they welcome them back with open arms when they are past their prime.

Why not just root for them when they're young enough to actually help the club, or still playing for the club?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Or a kid who broke the toy that came in the cereal box.. It WAS a piece of crap, I told you!!! But it was soooo cool on the box.
    For some reason, several times my cereal boxes didn't come with the advertised toy.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?