Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 55

Thread: Fangraphs: Bruce...A Work in Progress at the Plate

  1. #31
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,572

    Re: Fangraphs: Bruce...A Work in Progress at the Plate

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I give a lot more credence to a return of pop from his injury. I don't know if what you say is genuine or in jest but I don't buy how Edmonds has helped him, especially if Vottos presence couldn't. Though he has been staying back better lately.
    It was reported that Jim Edmonds had been helping Bruce with his approach at the plate since coming over. Essentially Edmonds said Bruce was too "jumpy" at the plate and worked on him laying back and being more patient and more under control.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Fangraphs: Bruce...A Work in Progress at the Plate

    Jay Bruce's UZR rating for the season is up to +12.8 with a UZR/150 of +15.7. His 12.8 UZR easily leads all major league right fielders. That, combined with his league average bat this season, gives Bruce a WAR of 2.5.

    http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...92&position=OF
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  4. #33
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Fangraphs: Bruce...A Work in Progress at the Plate

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    It was reported that Jim Edmonds had been helping Bruce with his approach at the plate since coming over. Essentially Edmonds said Bruce was too "jumpy" at the plate and worked on him laying back and being more patient and more under control.
    Well then I stand corrected, hadn't seen this info thanks. I have always disliked Jim Edmonds, he may have just got off my doo-doo list, as Dusty puts it "Big Time"! I'm glad to see someone inside the org. finally recognized the issue with Jay (why couldn't Dusty or Jacoby?) and think this just put us over the top. Not to mention glad what I believed I saw was correct, gotta love that.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  5. #34
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    9,062

    Re: Fangraphs: Bruce...A Work in Progress at the Plate

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Well then I stand corrected, hadn't seen this info thanks. I have always disliked Jim Edmonds, he may have just got off my doo-doo list, as Dusty puts it "Big Time"! I'm glad to see someone inside the org. finally recognized the issue with Jay (why couldn't Dusty or Jacoby?) and think this just put us over the top. Not to mention glad what I believed I saw was correct, gotta love that.
    fwiw, mario-rijo, I bet they did. But perhaps it sounds different coming from teammate like Edmonds than it does coming from a coach. Lots of different ways to filter information, maybe something Edmonds said clicked in a way for Jay that nothing else had. Dunno. But glad if that's the case. A hot Bruce would be HUGE for this club the next six weeks.

  6. #35
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,588

    Re: Fangraphs: Bruce...A Work in Progress at the Plate

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    It was reported that Jim Edmonds had been helping Bruce with his approach at the plate since coming over. Essentially Edmonds said Bruce was too "jumpy" at the plate and worked on him laying back and being more patient and more under control.
    a little context....that was Edmonds' response on the post game when a reporter asked him what he and Jay were having discussions about during the game. I thought the term 'jumpy' was a great one. He's so anxious up there to crush the ball....he's often opening up way to soon to get ahead of the ball, instead of trusting his sweet swing...and driving the ball where it's pitched. Edmond's dinger to left was just an unbelievable example of that.

    As '62 said....23 years old. Amazing.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

  7. #36
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Fangraphs: Bruce...A Work in Progress at the Plate

    Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    a little context....that was Edmonds' response on the post game when a reporter asked him what he and Jay were having discussions about during the game. I thought the term 'jumpy' was a great one. He's so anxious up there to crush the ball....he's often opening up way to soon to get ahead of the ball, instead of trusting his sweet swing...and driving the ball where it's pitched. Edmond's dinger to left was just an unbelievable example of that.

    As '62 said....23 years old. Amazing.
    Ya think that is why Edmonds looked back at the dugout as he came out of the box? Like he was saying "see that is how you wait on it Jay, watch and learn" and young Obi Wan did just that 4-5 and a double short of the cycle.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  8. #37
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,210

    Re: Fangraphs: Bruce...A Work in Progress at the Plate

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    23 years old.

    Think about that before you criticize this kid.

    Ya'll should listen to RF, he's got slacks older then Bruce.

    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  9. #38
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,588

    Re: Fangraphs: Bruce...A Work in Progress at the Plate

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Ya'll should listen to RF, he's got slacks older then Bruce.

    I lol'd on that one
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

  10. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,577

    Re: Fangraphs: Bruce...A Work in Progress at the Plate

    It's been pretty obvious for two years that Bruce is jumpy at the plate. Where's Jacoby been?

  11. #40
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,387

    Re: Fangraphs: Bruce...A Work in Progress at the Plate

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    It's been pretty obvious for two years that Bruce is jumpy at the plate. Where's Jacoby been?
    The hitting coach can't swing the bat for the player. We don't know what Jacoby was telling Bruce, but I can't imagine it's been something that's impacted him in a negative fashion. This team leads the NL in runs scored, so Jacoby has to be doing something right.

  12. #41
    Raaaaaaaandy guttle11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,118

    Re: Fangraphs: Bruce...A Work in Progress at the Plate

    Sometimes no matter how much a point is pounded into a guy's head, it doesn't register until it comes from a particular voice, said in a particular way, at a particular time. Maybe, just maybe, Jim Edmonds fits the criteria. I wonder how many of us butted head with our parents over things but struck a chord with an uncle, a teacher, a pastor saying the same thing as our parents...it happens.

    Whoda thunkit, Jim tap dancing Edmonds.
    Last edited by guttle11; 08-20-2010 at 01:02 AM.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

  13. #42
    Moderator The Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    2,740

    Re: Fangraphs: Bruce...A Work in Progress at the Plate

    If what we are witnessing is truly Jay Bruce beginning to heat up for the stretch run... ooohhh, Have Mercy. The thought of what a hot Jay Bruce could mean to this team's playoff hopes makes my mouth water.

    I am so in love with this team.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

  14. #43
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Fangraphs: Bruce...A Work in Progress at the Plate

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    It's been pretty obvious for two years that Bruce is jumpy at the plate. Where's Jacoby been?
    Well to be fair he did get a little less jumpy from pre-injury to post injury but just not quite enough.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  15. #44
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Fangraphs: Bruce...A Work in Progress at the Plate

    Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    If what we are witnessing is truly Jay Bruce beginning to heat up for the stretch run... ooohhh, Have Mercy. The thought of what a hot Jay Bruce could mean to this team's playoff hopes makes my mouth water.

    I am so in love with this team.
    For sure. Just think about having a superstar come out of nowhere in the middle of august without a noticeable weakness in his game, or at the very least without a "book" on him, how are you gonna pitch to him? The short version is at the very least the opposition will have to figure out a new "book" on him, that may take awhile. If legit this changes the whole complexion of the team.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  16. #45
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Fangraphs: Bruce...A Work in Progress at the Plate

    Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    fwiw, mario-rijo, I bet they did. But perhaps it sounds different coming from teammate like Edmonds than it does coming from a coach. Lots of different ways to filter information, maybe something Edmonds said clicked in a way for Jay that nothing else had. Dunno. But glad if that's the case. A hot Bruce would be HUGE for this club the next six weeks.
    Sounds like that is the case. And your right a hot Bruce is huge, but a changed Bruce is even better.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25