Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Odd Man Out for 2011 and beyond?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Johnny Cueto

7 15.22%
  • Edinson Volquez

11 23.91%
  • Homer Bailey

14 30.43%
  • Mike Leake

6 13.04%
  • Travis Wood

0 0%
  • Aroldis Chapman

8 17.39%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Odd Man Out?

Odd Man Out?

Looking down the road, the Reds have a saturation of starting pitchers. And this is a good problem to have, because we're not talking about Jimmy Haynes, Elizardo Ramirez, Eric Milton or Brandon Claussen. We're talking about honest-to-goodness pitching talent.

Perhaps, for now, it's true the Reds are missing a true "ace." However, that could be different in a year or two. Assuming Aaron Harang will not be brought back next year (and possibly Bronson Arroyo), who should the Reds cut ties with, presumably using as trade bait, to clear the path for a set rotation?

Consider not just who you like the least but who would fetch the best return.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Odd Man Out?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Looking down the road, the Reds have a saturation of starting pitchers. And this is a good problem to have, because we're not talking about Jimmy Haynes, Elizardo Ramirez, Eric Milton or Brandon Claussen. We're talking about honest-to-goodness pitching talent.

Perhaps, for now, it's true the Reds are missing a true "ace." However, that could be different in a year or two. Assuming Aaron Harang will not be brought back next year (and possibly Bronson Arroyo), who should the Reds cut ties with, presumably using as trade bait, to clear the path for a set rotation?

Consider not just who you like the least but who would fetch the best return.
    I've been thinking about this. I assume the Reds will keep Arroyo or get a different veteran starter in the off-season.

Just speculation - would they trade Cueto for a good outfielder?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I've been thinking about this. I assume the Reds will keep Arroyo or get a different veteran starter in the off-season.

Just speculation - would they trade Cueto for a good outfielder?
    I definitely haven't ruled out the idea that they'll keep Arroyo, or try to sign someone.

I would like to think if the right leftfielder or shortstop came along, that would be sufficient grounds to trade one of these pitchers. Of course, I guess if they were feeling good about Cozart, they may not see a need to add a shortstop going forward.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

None? How about a 6 man rotation!
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

I definitely haven't ruled out the idea that they'll keep Arroyo, or try to sign someone.

I would like to think if the right leftfielder or shortstop came along, that would be sufficient grounds to trade one of these pitchers. Of course, I guess if they were feeling good about Cozart, they may not see a need to add a shortstop going forward.
    This is a very good thread because it would seem like a starting pitcher is the obvious trade bait for a very good position player.

I'm not sure Leake or Wood or Bailey brings that much back at this stage.

Given the Hamilton trade, the Reds won't likely trade Volquez unless they get a major chip back.

Chapman's upside is so great that I don't see him being traded.

Cueto seems the most logical to me, but he's a very fine pitcher and I'd like to see him stay a Red.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I'm not sure Leake or Wood or Bailey brings that much back at this stage.
    I think any of those pitchers would bring a pretty good return, but I wouldn't trade any of them.

I'd keep them, along with Arroyo, Cueto, Chapman and Volquez.

Their performances will sort things out.

You can never have too much pitching.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Oh dangit, I committed the cardinal sin I voted before I read. I voted Leake as I thought you were gonna ask who the odd man out of the rotation for the remainder of the season was gonna be.

My rotation would be....

Volquez
    Cueto
    Wood
    Leake
    Chapman

Or some semblance of that. I just am not a strong believer in Homer anymore (don't believe he is a TOR arm) but I think he has done enough to merit a fair return. If he has a nice run here at the end of this season I capitalize on it in a hurry. One other thing to consider here is that Volquez, Cueto and Bailey all are either eligible for arb. or will be coming up quick while the other 3 have a few years to go yet. You could make the argument for Volquez but I just like his talent better and believe he is already a TOR arm. So if I am spending money on 2 of them it's Cueto and Volquez hands down.

So Bailey is my actual pick as the odd man out, so disregard my selection of Leake and add a vote at the end for Homer.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 08-17-2010 at 01:07 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I think any of those pitchers would bring a pretty good return, but I wouldn't trade any of them.

I'd keep them, along with Arroyo, Cueto, Chapman and Volquez.

Their performances will sort things out.

You can never have too much pitching.
    Keeping an abundance just to sort things out will likely kill any chances of trading away your surplus for anything of value in return. Why not strike this offseason to improve the club?

If one of these guys will be in enough demand, take advantage of the market and move him for another piece. It won't do much good to sit on 7 starting pitchers just to take the best five. Now, if you let spring training dictate which one you trade... I think that is fine. But beyond opening day, I don't see an advantage to holding on to 7 guys, especially since 4 or 5 of them can't be optioned anyhow.

Very good question. Here is the way I would would handle this "problem".

Leake and Wood - They are the two I would most be inclined to keep. The appear to be guys who will eat innings while don't have a violent motion. Leake reminds me of Arroyo somewhat with a higher upside. At times Wood looks like Cliff Lee.

Bailey - His last start shows what he can bring. When he is repeating his delivery he has TOR stuff. I wouldn't trade Bailey because I like his potential but also because his trade value is relatively low.

Chapman - If he doesn't stick in the rotation he will be used in the pen. You don't trade 100+ MPH arms, especially when you went out and signed him to a big contract.

Cueto and Volquez - If one had to go I would be more inclined to trade one of these two. Don't necessarily like Cueto's size and his mental lapses. Volquez is coming off of TJ surgery with a violent motion. Both have very good stuff but just to me I see more risk in these two than the others. I think Cueto has the most trade value but Volquez may have the best overall stuff.

FWIW I expect to see a big move made over this off season.

Keeping an abundance just to sort things out will likely kill any chances of trading away your surplus for anything of value in return. Why not strike this offseason to improve the club?

I agree. I also feel the Reds will try and get a veteran pitcher this off-season, so the glut will continue.

Let's say the Reds trade away a Cueto. They still would have -

Veteran pitcher #1, Volquez, Chapman, Leake, Wood, Bailey.

Still six good starting pitchers.

I expect the Reds to try and trade Cueto. He's going to get real expensive fast.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I agree. I also feel the Reds will try and get a veteran pitcher this off-season, so the glut will continue.

Let's say the Reds trade away a Cueto. They still would have -

Veteran pitcher #1, Volquez, Chapman, Leake, Wood, Bailey.

Still six good starting pitchers.
    BTW, Kc, I voted Bailey in the poll, but I do think Cueto makes the most sense for getting something very valuable in return.

I'm just scared Volquez is going to re-injure himself at some point.. maybe he could be shopped for something if he has a strong finish

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

They should not just cut ties with the man left out. I think they need to keep the 6th in the bullpen in case of injury (which is bound to happen to one of them) Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harange in my mind are gone. And hopefully with that money we can go get a power hitting shortstop. someone young and better then Janish. heck we are picking up what? 20 million? I think that we can find a very suitable player with that to push the team over the top (which I am not sure if they are not already there)
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

And this assumes both of Arroyo and Harang are let go after the season, something I don't see happening.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?