Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Colin Cowherd

Re: Colin Cowherd

He's on my AM drive time. A couple buddies really enjoyed him 4-5 years ago, so I started listening occasionally. He had his moments of being really funny, and/or having really good guests on. Unfortunately, his ego has left the stratosphere...and he now makes a living off of outlandish comments and talking down the average sports fan, usually because "he's on the inside"

He uses watered down Socratorial style arguments of "if/then"....that make him look like a genius, until they don't, and then he passes them off like he never made them.

I will listen for a few minutes when the other stations are on commercial break. I caught the Reds hate this morning. It's not that he didn't bring up good points.....but rather how we fans were stupid "homer Cincinnati fan, get over yourself".

He laughed at NBA fans who thought OK City could win even 1 game against the Lakers....as any NBA insider like himself knew that the Lakers would sweep and win each game by 20.

He used a 3 second quote by Tom Verducci as his basis on Reds hating....yet ignored the endless quotes and stories by Verducci about how the Reds are serious contenders.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?

If it weren't for college football/basketball, I'd never turn ESPN on.

I enjoy listening to Cowherd. I find him to be entertaining. I've never taken him serious though. He seems to know more about football but because its ESPN he's required to talk baseball and he just says whatever he can to get a reaction. Do not take him too serious folks he's there to entertain not to be an expert.

He's way off on Votto but some of his points about the team were valid and we all know it. This team has struggled against the top teams. However, I think they can and will do better against those teams. And when they do he just won't say a word about it.

I used to enjoy Cowherd quite a bit. He talked about what he knew, and he is a big proponent of college football. In the recent years it seems like he has become more arrogant, more one sided, more I am right and I don't care what you thing. Over the past few seasons he has become a big time schill for the large market clubs. Outside of the large market sports don't exist to Colin.

I still do enjoy listening to him talk about college football and the NFL. He is a big time gambler and is very knowledgeable about football. He knows very little to nothing about baseball and outside of the Lakers his NBA knowledge is limited.

Like a few others, I USED to like listening to Cowherd but really got turned off by him when he started being just another flavor of Jim Rome...Miss the old Sporting News Network that was out of Chicago.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Pretty much ditto the preceding comments -- I used to like him better, and he's far more informed on football than baseball.

Although I will admit that I've incorporated "that's a you problem" into my arsenal.
    Not all who wander are lost

I think cowherd obviously exaggerates everything for ratings, but to be honest some of what he was saying is hard to argue with. He said that the reds will have a hard time winning in the playoffs because we have no ace. We have no one to match up with carpenter or halladay. And in a 5 game series where the phils throw halladay, oswalt and hamels we would have a hard time winning. If volquez can regain his control by the playoffs he could be an ace, cueto looks like hes going to be an ace someday but hes probably not going to be there by october, arroyos a very solid pitcher but no one has ever called him an ace and leake and wood are the future but both of them are more #2's then #1's.
    I would have to say on paper he is probably right, thats why Jocketty made the effort to get lee at the deadline because we do not have an ace. I think we are still good enough to win the division and once your in the playoffs anything can happen but as of right now we do not have an ace.

Votto is also a Cards guy.

Also claimed that every single MLB GM would take Adrian Gonzalez over Joey Votto.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Also claimed that every single MLB GM would take Adrian Gonzalez over Joey Votto.
    Most of them probably would if the money were even, right?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Most of them probably would if the money were even, right?
    Votto is 16 months younger, and has a much more projectable body type IMO.

I think it's incredibly ignorant to suggest that EVERY single GM would take Gonzo over Votto. At the very least, I would say it's 50/50.

Is wOBA park adjusted?

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    If it weren't for college football/basketball, I'd never turn ESPN on.
    Ditto. And I no longer even subscribe to the cable tier that includes it here. I really don't even know who Cowherd is and I don't really care what he has to say about anything really.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    I think cowherd obviously exaggerates everything for ratings, but to be honest some of what he was saying is hard to argue with. He said that the reds will have a hard time winning in the playoffs because we have no ace. We have no one to match up with carpenter or halladay. And in a 5 game series where the phils throw halladay, oswalt and hamels we would have a hard time winning. If volquez can regain his control by the playoffs he could be an ace, cueto looks like hes going to be an ace someday but hes probably not going to be there by october, arroyos a very solid pitcher but no one has ever called him an ace and leake and wood are the future but both of them are more #2's then #1's.
    I would have to say on paper he is probably right, thats why Jocketty made the effort to get lee at the deadline because we do not have an ace. I think we are still good enough to win the division and once your in the playoffs anything can happen but as of right now we do not have an ace.
    I agree with what you are saying, and Cowherd also claimed that in the playoffs it was anybodies series in baseball. He was giving himself and out after claiming that the Reds had no ace and thus no chance in the playoffs.

I do find it good to listen to the opinions of others outside because I feel that we over value the players on the team we support. Is Votto better than Cowherd is giving him credit for, yes. But I would also probably be tempted to take Adrian Gonzolez over Votto if I had the chance.

I just think he's lazy. He only follows the big markets, makes fun of the small ones, thus he fits right in on ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    Is Votto better than Cowherd is giving him credit for, yes. But I would also probably be tempted to take Adrian Gonzolez over Votto if I had the chance.
    I'm not sure what Gonzalez has that Votto doesn't. Votto hits for a higher average, has MUCH more speed, is younger, and his body type suggests that it is highly likely that he will enjoy more sustained success over his career than Gonzalez.

Gonzalez is a great player, don't get me wrong. However, I can't think of a scenario in which I'd rather have him over Votto.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'm not sure what Gonzalez has that Votto doesn't. Votto hits for a higher average, has MUCH more speed, is younger, and his body type suggests that it is highly likely that he will enjoy more sustained success over his career than Gonzalez.

Gonzalez is a great player, don't get me wrong. However, I can't think of a scenario in which I'd rather have him over Votto.
    For me it is a hard call, I would like to see the type of numbers that Gonzalez could put up in GABP. If I was a GM it would really just come down to money between these two players. If I could get one for less and keep money for pitching then that is the way I would go. At least that is how I approached my fantasy team.

Turn Off Ads?