Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Colin Cowherd

Re: Colin Cowherd

FWIW:

OPS+ (Which adjusts OPS for park factors)
    Gonzalez: 152
    Votto: 168 (Best in the NL)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

He was right about the reds, wrong on Votto.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Worth The Wait

I lost all respect for CC when he trashed Sean Taylor literally hours after he was shot/killed. Even if some of what he said had validity, it was extremely disrespectful and his timing could not have been worse. The fact that he was eventually proven wrong and issued a half-hearted "apology" made it worse.

I'm all for a sports talk host playing devil's advocate or trying to stir his audience a bit, but CC seems to sell his soul to do it, and I don't respect that one bit.

The problem with Colin is not so much that he doesn't believe in the midwest or my teams, but its that he calls us all idiots for following the Reds and not being a Yanks/Sox fan. It's fine to have an opinion about a teams chances [even if we disagree] its that he has to call those who oppose his ideas a moron.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    I lost all respect for CC when he trashed Sean Taylor literally hours after he was shot/killed. Even if some of what he said had validity, it was extremely disrespectful and his timing could not have been worse. The fact that he was eventually proven wrong and issued a half-hearted "apology" made it worse.

I'm all for a sports talk host playing devil's advocate or trying to stir his audience a bit, but CC seems to sell his soul to do it, and I don't respect that one bit.
    I still remember listening to him that day and I'm not a Redskins fan. I really like listening to Cowherd but I just sat it disbelief the day he talked about Taylor. I don't think that was a ratings thing though I really think he was just foolish and just not all that well thought out. Never heard his apology for it but that was just a bad bad day for Cowherd.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    This guy really has one for the Reds. What a pompous, opinionated, punk. Would love for him to interview Joey Votto and see Votto go all "Jim Everett" on the little pansy. Just another reason why ESPN is turning into a crappy network. And I thought I didn't like Jim Rome.
    turning into one? does that mean you're just now coming to this conclusion?

Regardless of how he may have recently offended some Reds fans, you can put me squarely in the camp of those who enjoys listening to Cowherd. Much like the old Tony Kornheiser radio show, most of what I find intruiging about Cowherd's conversations do not involve the Xs and Os of sports, per se.

He appears to be very savvy on topics surrounding the economic impacts and marketing strategies involved with the major sports--both of which are subjects that I find extremely interesting. When it comes to college football, he also offers a pretty unique perspective.

By the way, SportsNation is rapidly becoming one of my favorite shows on television. Granted, I have an unhealthy obsession with his co-host, Michelle Beadle....

But, I digress.
    Last edited by Blimpie; 08-17-2010 at 10:34 PM.

"So Fla Red"

When Cowherd had his morning show in Portland he used to make hay about how corporate ESPN was and what a sellout it would be to work for the network. Now, he's about the biggest network shill going.

They guy reminds me of Andy Furman in the old days. Anything to get a rise out of the "faithful" listener. Or Tracy Jones. Like Dale Earnhardt told Jeff Gordon when he was Booed, "just worry when they don't react." Americans love controversity and guys like Cowherd and many others play on this. In radio, you must give the listener a reason to listen, so you come up with outrageous stuff so they will tune in.

He's an idiot, but not uncommon in 21at Century America.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    When Cowherd had his morning show in Portland he used to make hay about how corporate ESPN was and what a sellout it would be to work for the network. Now, he's about the biggest network shill going.
    Colin makes sure that people know he is a west coast voice. He said when ESPN hired him they wanted an "aggressive west coast voice". He also said that when hired he had a great deal of respect for Kornheiser but he needed to differentiate himself from Tony right away.

That said he is just abysmal when talking about anything other than football. I don't really listen much to NBA talk because I don't care one way or the other. He has become such a polarizing voice that it becomes hard to listen to when he talks about a subject that he really doesn't know about. He is great to listen to when talking about college and pro football (although his unhealthy love for Lane Kiffen is a little odd) but man is he brutal at baseball.

That said here on RZ we have 4 pages talking about Colin. I guess you can say he is doing his job.

After hearing Lance last night on WLW I think he should pay me a commission. He went with my take (earlier in this thread) hook, line and sinker

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    After hearing Lance last night on WLW I think he should pay me a commission. He went with my take (earlier in this thread) hook, line and sinker
    Well, at least Lance gave credit and posted the link to RZ...

I don't really know who Colin Cowherd is, I don't get to listen to radio during the day.

But if he has strange man love for Lane Kiffin, then I know all that I need to know about him.

People point out that the Reds have struggled against the top teams this season, and while that may be true, let's take a closer look at how the Reds have fared against the top teams.

The Reds finished 2-5 against the Phillies. However, the Phillies only outscored the Reds 30-27 this season. Four of our losses to the Phillies came in extra innings, and three of the losses were by one run, including two 1-0 losses. The Reds could have easily took three of four in Philly.

The Reds finished 2-3 against the Braves. RS/RA for the series was even at 24-24. Two of Reds three losses were by one run, and the other loss came in extra innings.

So far, the Reds are 2-2 against the Giants and one of the losses was by one run.
    They went 4-2 against the Mets and outscored them 23-21. The Mets have since fallen out of the race but they were playing well when the Reds played them.

The Reds are 1-2 against the Padres but they played them way back in April when the Reds were playing awful. If you may recall, Dusty held a team meeting before the Sunday afternoon game against the Padres. The Reds went on to win that series finale and turned their season around.

The Cardinals have owned us this season, there's no way around that. But sometimes a certain team just has your number. The Reds played very well against the Cardinals in 2006 when they won the World Series. On the surface it may appear that the Reds were kicked around by the Phillies and Braves but they really haven't. The Reds are a couple plays away from having winning records against the Braves and Phillies this season...

Nice summary, OBM...

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

First I've heard his name. Ever. I was wondering if it was some kid from this year's draft.

Turn Off Ads?