Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bryce Harper

Bryce Harper

In the first bit of possible news tonight, Jeff Fletcher of AOL tweets Harper, "will sign" at least according to his former college head coach Tom Chambers, who is now the head man at UNLV.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bryce Harper

Signed and reportedly for $10 Million.

Major league deal for a 17 year old. They'll get the extra option, but still.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Signed and reportedly for $10 Million.
    Yep. To a Major League contract. Because of his age, he's going to get 4 option years instead of 3.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Major league deal for a 17 year old. They'll get the extra option, but still.
    It seems like the major league deal hurts both sides. Willy Mo comes to mind. I wonder what would have happened if he had an extra few years in the minors.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Report is the Nationals are moving him from behind the plate to right field.

Is this because of the major league deal or that he doesn't project as a catcher? It would be a shame for everyone involved if it is soley because of the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Report is the Nationals are moving him from behind the plate to right field.

Is this because of the major league deal or that he doesn't project as a catcher? It would be a shame for everyone involved if it is soley because of the contract.
    This was decided before the draft. They basically drafted him as an outfielder. It was done believing he would be best-suited for the outfield long-term.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Yeah, I think moving him to the OF is the right call. He's a once-in-a-generation talent, and having him catch would probably shorten his career.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

The timetable and learning curve for catchers are vastly different than that of an outfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Yeah, I think moving him to the OF is the right call. He's a once-in-a-generation talent, and having him catch would probably shorten his career.
    So why was he catching in Juco?

So why was he catching in Juco?
    College and high school teams do what's best for them, or what they think is best for the player. It doesn't always align with what Major League teams intend to do.

He also wants to catch.

As far as "once in a lifetime talent" isn't some of that diminished by playing outfield?

I mean as far as everything I had read, he has a great bat, but it was the combination of great bat + he can legitimately be a top level defensive catcher that made him "once in a lifetime."
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    College and high school teams do what's best for them, or what they think is best for the player. It doesn't always align with what Major League teams intend to do.
    Except Bryce Harper could have chosen any Juco he wanted. I'm sure one of the reasons he went where he did was because he would be allowed to catch. I'm guessing Bryce still would rather catch than switch to OF, but the Nats are hedging their bet.

Less chance of injury means a better chance he will have 4 full years for his bat to develop. Less to learn defensively means he can focus on hitting. Like I said it is a shame if this major league deal ends up working against him.

I don't know where his mind is, but I suspect he is much less likely to make the majors as a catcher because of the major league deal.

Except Bryce Harper could have chosen any Juco he wanted. I'm sure one of the reasons he went where he did was because he would be allowed to catch. I'm guessing Bryce still would rather catch than switch to OF, but the Nats are hedging their bet.

Less chance of injury means a better chance he will have 4 full years for his bat to develop. Less to learn defensively means he can focus on hitting. Like I said it is a shame if this major league deal ends up working against him.

I don't know where his mind is, but I suspect he is much less likely to make the majors as a catcher because of the major league deal.
    He went there because they were A) in a wooden bat league, B) were a good team against good competition and C) his brother was already there playing.

Turn Off Ads?