Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Micah Owings DFA

Micah Owings DFA

RHP Micah Owings today was designated for assignment to make room on 40-man roster for top pick C Yasmani Grandal, who signed 4-year deal

http://twitter.com/CincinnatiReds
    Steve
    Project-43
    http://www.project-43.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Micah Owings DFA

It was only a matter of time for Owings but, geez, for Grandal? A guy with not much in professional experience?
    That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

"For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

Yeah, Owings had certainly fallen out of favor, but still... not a great way to get kicked off the 40-man.
    Steve
    Project-43
    http://www.project-43.com

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Not that surprised, but a little.

He won't be out of a job for long. Probably a good situation for Micah, honestly. He'll be starting at the major league level for someone in a few days.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

hard to understand how this organization favors Danny Rey over Micah....at least with Micah you could use his bat in a pinch. Sometimes I wish I could just simply ask this front office what is going on in their brains....I am sure they had good reason, they have gotten us this far so no sense in doubting them I guess.

Maybe Micah is due for arbitration or something where DRH is not? Just guessing, but I'm sure Money played some reason somehow.

hard to understand how this organization favors Danny Rey over Micah....at least with Micah you could use his bat in a pinch.
    But he wasn't used that way. He wasn't getting pinch hitting at bats and he wasn't getting regular work out of the bullpen. If the manager has no use or confidence in you, it is hard to be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Maybe Micah is due for arbitration or something where DRH is not? Just guessing, but I'm sure Money played some reason somehow.
    According to Cot's baseball contracts, Owings is eligible for arbitration in the offseason.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Wish it wasn't Owings. I think this is a mistake.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Not sure its a mistake, but I like Owings. Thought he was a great addition, but he was not being played at all, so I hope he lands in a good place. There may be a contender who may claim him. Would the Cards have any interest? That would be ironic.

Personally, I think Owings was overrated, especially his bat. He could hit better than most pitchers, but his swing has a huge hole in it, and he steps in the bucket big time. Pitchers can exploit that, and it looks like they have this season.

As for his pitching, he threw kinda hard, but not nearly hard enough to overcome his straight fastball and lack of a decent off speed pitch. Plus, his control was spotty at best.

He had a great attitude and seemed like a good guy in the clubhouse, but that is only worth so much if you can't produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Larkin View Post
    There may be a contender who may claim him. Would the Cards have any interest? That would be ironic.
    My thoughts exactly. Cardinals might grab him to replace Suppan. Wouldn't surprise me, if he makes it that far down the list of teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Cardinals might grab him to replace Suppan. Wouldn't surprise me, if he makes it that far down the list of teams.
    He probably won't, and if he does, I would be fine with it. Owings is a below average starting pitcher. He may technically be better than Suppan, but he pretty much makes it difficult for your team win in every game he starts.

Do we still have the option to trade him? I imagine we should get something for him. I'm not sure exactly how a DFA trade works though.

Here's what DFA (designated for assignment) in baseball terms:

Designated for assignment is a contractual term used in Major League Baseball. When a player is designated for assignment, he is immediately removed from the club's 40-man roster. This gives the club 10 days to decide what to do with the player while freeing up a roster spot for another transaction, if needed. After designating a player for assignment, the club must either: (a) return the player to the 40-man roster within 10 days from the date of designation, or (b) make one of the following contractual moves:

Place the player on waivers (which can only be done within the first 7 days of the 10-day period)
    Trade the player
    Release the player

-www.wikipedia.org

Turn Off Ads?