Edinson Volquez tomorrow
    Travis Wood Thursday
    Homer Bailey Friday
    Johnny Cueto Saturday
    Arroyo Sunday

More here: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ion-leake-out/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Leake out of rotation?

sounds like OCab could be back tom. Probably Leake into long man role and carlos fisher being sent down with OCab taking his spot

Surprised they haven't come up with an "injury" to Leake to keep his innings down that way.

From Fay on Twitter: #Reds told Leake he's in bullpen for now. "I'd rather go every 5th day. But whatever I can do to help the team."

Not really to mad about this, we knew it was going to happen sooner or later. Just glad we have all these other options or who knows what may have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsRoll19 View Post
    Not really to mad about this, we knew it was going to happen sooner or later. Just glad we have all these other options or who knows what may have happened.
    Depth is a good thing. Redlegs seem to have quite a bit of it these days.

Fine with me. Glad that he got a win the other day. Really think we messed him up by making him wait 8 days to start prior to his start before last. That messed up his rhythm. He would be a good long reliever.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mckbearcat48 View Post
    Depth is a good thing. Redlegs seem to have quite a bit of it these days.
    Rain is a good thing too!

YouTube - Luke Bryan - Rain Is A Good Thing - Official Music Video

But I agree. The Reds starting pitching depth is unprecedented probably in their history. It's cool that if someone else comes up with an injury, Leake will then be available. But no reason to push him right now.

Will this do anything to help him next year, though?

I'm not so sure cutting his innings this year helps him out in the future, in terms of building endurance.

I'm not saying burn through him like he's Mark Prior out there, but is this really in the best interest for him long term, or is this just a thought process for the rest of this season?

I really really hope Janish gets more time givin how he's performed during Ocabs absence
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

takealeake

I've been saying for a while the best scenario is to put him in the pen as a long man to reduce his innings. I'm glad they're going through with it, because there's no need to push Mike his first year.

Reds' rotation no longer Leakes? Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    Will this do anything to help him next year, though?

I'm not so sure cutting his innings this year helps him out in the future, in terms of building endurance.

I'm not saying burn through him like he's Mark Prior out there, but is this really in the best interest for him long term, or is this just a thought process for the rest of this season?
    I'm sure the Reds would love to keep him in the rotation, but the current theory out there is that if you increase a pitcher's innings by more than a certain percent from one year to the next, you greatly increase your chance of injury down the road. The Reds have said all year that based on what he threw last year, they wanted to cap Leake at about 170 innings, and they are getting awfully close to that point. They figure that by putting him in the pen, it allows them to more closely control how much he pitches.

This tells me that they have plans for him in the post season, otherwise they'd could have just shut him down all together.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Good insurance if Homer (or other SP) isn't consistent. What's gonna happen when Harang thinks he's ready? Maybe another "long man" outta the pen? I guess it's a good dilemma to be in. I wonder how much veteran leadership and team chemistry will enter into their decision?

So, there's no longer a leake in the REDS' rotation.

Turn Off Ads?