Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kudos to Dusty

Kudos to Dusty

Or props, as the kidz are prone to say.

(Insert fist bump here).

At any rate, I don't know what the rest of this road trip holds, or the season. Perhaps the Reds will lose every game from here on out.

For the purposes of this thread, the future does not matter.

I am reflecting on the craziness of the series against Stl, the emotions that took them out of their comfort zone, and getting swept to look up and be one game behind the Cardinals while having been rather whipped on the field and off.

Past Reds teams have not responded real well at that juncture. And having to deal with Josh Johnson and Anibel Sanchez on the weekend against the Marlins on top of what had just happened seemed cruel.

And with the season teetering (and make no mistake, it probably was), Dusty has pushed the right buttons in the clubhouse to get them re-focused and right back to playing smart, hard, and winning baseball. It is a joy to see them respond like they have to the adversity and get back to winning. I am certain that vets like Rolen and O-Cab have probably helped, but I cannot help but think that the tone Dusty set and sets and whatever he did following that series was among one of the better crisis managerial moments I have seen in my three and a half decades of following the Reds.

I forget who it was, maybe Wheels, in some thread last week who noted that it was situations like this that Dusty seemed to excel. Well stated. And worth highlighting.

So, five days after a debacle, the Reds are back to where they were before the Stl series began. Amazing work to put that behind them and move on.

Whether they win or lose from here, Dusty has done a fantastic job this year with a still very young team, and it has been a pleasure to watch him manage a team I love.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kudos to Dusty

Kudos to Dusty? Toto, we are not in Redszone anymore.

Dusty is a first rate man-manager. He knows how to get the most out of his players and is brilliant when it comes to the psychological aspects of the game. You can call me crazy, but I also think he has improved his in game tactical skills, too. I am very pleased to have Dusty as manager.

Dusty does get the most out of his players but he has mishandled both Mike Leake and Coco Cordero so his record is not spotless. Leake was doing very well before they started messing with his routine. Dusty also has a mental block about any pitcher ending a Reds win other than Coco. Last night would have been a good time to work in someone else to pitch the 9th. Due to his age, innings or whatever, Cordero will need to be rescued a few times this year and we'll need other options

Winning makes everyone a genius.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Whether you like dusty or not I think you have to give him some credit for this team being in first place. Lets be honest this roster isnt exactly the yankees with all stars at every position, they are playing extremely well and dusty has to have had something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think winning is the best thing on any manager's resume

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think winning is the best thing on any manager's resume
    It's the most important thing when it comes to preventing losing.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I think it goes without saying that "prevention of losing" goes along with winning

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I still contend the Reds started a winning attitude when a certain former 2nd baseman was hired as Special Assistant.

Just sayin'.....
    Hope Springs Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Pithy. Awesome.

So much for drawing some discussion on the work done by Dusty to get them regrouped and ready to play again on Friday in the wake of the stl series.

A lot of folks on here complain that there is too much of the stats talk with respect to Xs and Os, and while I don't hold much truck with those complaints, I thought this might be a chance to think on the human element that is managing and how difficult, potentially, the task was ahead of Dusty last week.

Or not.

Dusty does get the most out of his players but he has mishandled both Mike Leake and Coco Cordero so his record is not spotless. Leake was doing very well before they started messing with his routine. Dusty also has a mental block about any pitcher ending a Reds win other than Coco. Last night would have been a good time to work in someone else to pitch the 9th. Due to his age, innings or whatever, Cordero will need to be rescued a few times this year and we'll need other options
    I think it's a bit unfair to blame Dusty for the handling of Leake. I don't know for sure, but my guess is decisions regarding Leake (and other 'big picture' issues) are made by Walt with some input from Dusty, Price, etc. And let's not pretend that Leake has been dreadful...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

As a manager and not a player, Dusty is a mere peripheral.

Oh wait -- that's good.

I agree he deserves credit, and the bounceback from the sweep indicates that the ship is on a nice even keel. These last 40 games are high seas, though.

Kudos to Baker and to the front office -- the composition of the roster is such that there's excellent leadership in the locker room.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Dusty also has a mental block about any pitcher ending a Reds win other than Coco. Last night would have been a good time to work in someone else to pitch the 9th. Due to his age, innings or whatever, Cordero will need to be rescued a few times this year and we'll need other options
    Cordero was all warmed up and ready to go. You'll recall it was a close game until the bottom of the eighth.

At that point, it made sense to let Coco close it out rather than get another pitcher up to start warming.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Pithy. Awesome.

So much for drawing some discussion on the work done by Dusty to get them regrouped and ready to play again on Friday in the wake of the stl series.

A lot of folks on here complain that there is too much of the stats talk with respect to Xs and Os, and while I don't hold much truck with those complaints, I thought this might be a chance to think on the human element that is managing and how difficult, potentially, the task was ahead of Dusty last week.

Or not.
    Well said.

Turn Off Ads?