Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dusty deserves some props from me

Dusty deserves some props from me

I have been critical of him...sometimes really bad...sometimes to the point where I almost feel sorry for him....but last night he made a great move that I dont think he makes 2 months ago.....then after reading the ORG post about Dusty deserving of some credit for holding this team together this past 2 weeks, I felt the need to start a thread and thank Dusty.

Last night he pulled Bronson in favor of Arthur with 2 leftys sitting in line to bat....Bronson was on fire, he was locked in and he did not want to come out...but the smart move was to take him out and let the dog come in and shut things down....dusty made a move and I sat right there on the recliner last night saying he would leave bronson in....and he proved me wrong.

Heres to the thought of Dusty turning the corner and maybe changing a few things about the way he goes about coaching his team during the game...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty deserves some props from me

Dusty is not a good game manager, I will never believe it. I think he ultimately loses games when he tries to get players counting stats or is unwilling to remove a player from a role because of his perceived ability of the player. Dusty tends to find a way to take his worst player and play him too much. It annoys me to no end.

He also wins games by making his players happy and honestly over the course of a season with good talent it probably is a bigger gain of wins instead of losses.

Just like most managers, give him good players and he will win, give him bad players and he will lose.

Dusty gets more undeserved criticism than any manager I can think of. I will agree some of his in game moves make you shake your head sometimes, but that happens with all managers. You don't luck yourself into his number of career wins, I know that much.

The calls he makes that work are rarely ever mentioned. I love his aggressive approach to games while knowing his personnel. Suicides, hit and runs, and just generally our base running all around. I know we are too aggressive and run into outs a lot, but I love forcing the other team to have to make a play.

He has held this team together through thick and thin this year, and there were times where you had to wonder if it was the beginning of the end. It's a resilient bunch of guys, and it all starts at the top.

he is one of the worst in game managers and has proven that time after time. with that being said he is as good as it gets when it comes down to being a motivator.
    he is a huge reason we are were we are today and he needs an extension

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

He has held this team together through thick and thin this year, and there were times where you had to wonder if it was the beginning of the end. It's a resilient bunch of guys, and it all starts at the top.

Good point Stray.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I have been a defender of Dusty, but his use of the bullpen confuses me to no end.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Here is an article evaluating Dusty as a manager. He shone in San Francisco and failed in Chicago. Nice read though.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...8-dusty-baker/

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I've actually seen him have a quicker trigger than he used to. Is it quick enough? Not necessarily, but it's better.

He's also doing more of the defensive substitutions too.

I think he's smelling blood like the rest of us and not taking as many chances. Atleast I hope he is.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

I often don't agree with the moves that Dusty makes, and I think they're questionable at best sometimes from the standpoint of who plays, and who he uses out of the bullpen in certain situations, but one thing I have to give him credit on is the ability to keep this team together through the st. louis debacle, when it would've been easy for them to have a here we go again, rolling over type of mentality. This team doesn't ever quit, and a lot of that is attributed to the manager.

He's managed this team to 17 games above .500 and a 2 game lead in the division with a month and a half to go. I can't complain.

I question a lot of his moves but just as many seem to work out as don't. Baseball is the favorite sport of second-guessers. Almost every move in a game can be questioned, and hindsight is always crystal clear.

Part of the game is the x's/o's, and the other part is being a motivator that knows how to lead a group of men. Some guys clearly have the game down, but alienate their team because of their personalities. Dusty is on the other end of the spectrum.

could Dusty be a better manager? Yes.....but I am happy as a pig in crap right now that he is managing our Reds.....will I feel the same way tonight, or tomorrw night? NO.....The thing is, I have called for Dustys head more than once, and I truly believe that he has made major mistakes that has cost this team at least 3-5 wins this year. But he is buckling down at the right time, he is starting to learn from some of his mistakes and not making them twice....sending Leake to the pen is a major move, Keeping Harang down is something that Dusty would never have done in the past.....Dusty is trying his hardest to win the central and you cannot ask for more than that.

Dusty makes a ton of in game mistakes, but I am under the belief that he is changing and trying to be a better overall manager....so lets give him to the end of the year and see what he does, if he has success from here on out, then we can think about an extension...

I think he has done good with the team up till now this year, didn't expect it.
    The Reds gotta be thinking a little other wise though if they have still not extended his contract.

Dusty managed himself a heck of a ballgame tonight.
    Listening to Mark Grace and the other (AZ) commentator, they were very complimentary of how this team and Dusty took the Dbacks to school in those last 2 innings.

It was beautiful to watch.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

nm
    Last edited by texasdave; 08-19-2010 at 01:18 AM.

Turn Off Ads?