Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donnie Joseph to Carolina...finally

Donnie Joseph to Carolina...finally

The Cincinnati Reds have made one roster move impacting their Double-A affiliate Carolina Mudcats prior to tonight's second game of a series against the Mobile BayBears.

LHP Donnie Joseph has been assigned to Carolina from High-A Lynchburg. Joseph began this season with Low-A Dayton, compiling an 0.78 ERA over 19 games before being moved to the Hillcats. With Lynchburg, Joseph was 0-4 with a 2.31 ERA and 17 saves. Joseph was the Reds' third-round pick in last year's draft from the University of Houston.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident PED Expert

Re: Donnie Joseph to Carolina...finally

Odd they'd make this move so late in the year. Wonder what the reasoning was for it?

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Odd they'd make this move so late in the year. Wonder what the reasoning was for it?

I could go with a couple of theories...

The Mudcats used this as a part of a deal to re-up with the Reds. The Mudcats are staying with Cincy so...weak theory but what the heck. However you frame it, it may be some kind of PR deal inside the organization.

Or, more realistically, the Mudcats bull pen has been extremely inconsistent. I was surprised Justin Freeman got here before Joseph. These guys were a good combination in Lynchburg, maybe they can help here. Last nights catastrophe may have inspired the move.
    Last edited by muddie; 08-19-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Finally. I thought this move should have happened a month ago. Joseph has been filthy this season: 1.71 ERA in 58 innings, 23 walks and an amazing 96 strikeouts. 14.9 K/9. Hopefully Joseph can have a strong showing in Carolina and set himself up to begin the 2011 season in Louisville, assuming he doesn't make the Reds out of the spring training.

-The Insider-

The bullpen was taxed yesterday with Webb's start getting wasted.

And Muddie, how you know for sure that they are gonna resign?

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    The bullpen was taxed yesterday with Webb's start getting wasted.

And Muddie, how you know for sure that they are gonna resign?

Trust me

Perhaps the team is trying to figure out whether to use a 40-man spot on Valiquette. Joseph would not get the spot, but his performance is part of the analysis.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Finally. I thought this move should have happened a month ago. Joseph has been filthy this season: 1.71 ERA in 58 innings, 23 walks and an amazing 96 strikeouts. 14.9 K/9. Hopefully Joseph can have a strong showing in Carolina and set himself up to begin the 2011 season in Louisville, assuming he doesn't make the Reds out of the spring training.
    From what I heard, it was supposed to happen a month ago, but then something happened and it didn't. I asked around but didn't get an answer from anyone about it, but more than a few guys said he was expected to be in Carolina a month ago but had it reversed on him.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by backbencher View Post
    Perhaps the team is trying to figure out whether to use a 40-man spot on Valiquette. Joseph would not get the spot, but his performance is part of the analysis.
    Kinda confused because Val is already on it and Joseph isn't eligible next year.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Kinda confused because Val is already on it and Joseph isn't eligible next year.
    The Reds might feel Valiquette is expendable if they need to remove someone from the 40man. If guys like Corky, Izzy, Balentein are called up in Sept someone has to be removed. I would hope there are several guys they would cut before him though and Izzy getting hurt will probably save someone.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    The Reds might feel Valiquette is expendable if they need to remove someone from the 40man. If guys like Corky, Izzy, Balentein are called up in Sept someone has to be removed. I would hope there are several guys they would cut before him though and Izzy getting hurt will probably save someone.
    I highly doubt they'd take a person who touches 96 consistently, and a lefty at that, off the roster even though he has some control issues. Izzy is on the DL so he isn't a lock to get called up, even though there is a good chance, granted that he's healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    From what I heard, it was supposed to happen a month ago, but then something happened and it didn't. I asked around but didn't get an answer from anyone about it, but more than a few guys said he was expected to be in Carolina a month ago but had it reversed on him.
    Most likely because he was being talked about in a deal that was all but finalized and then fell apart.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    This could be both way-off and factually wrong, but IIRC, I think a team can only send 1 High A guy to the AFL with the league mostly stocked by AA players. These late promotions might be to set-up guys for an AFL stint. Mesoraco and Joseph are both guys who may figure into the Reds plans at some point n 2011, I'm guessing they both may be in line for the AFL.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I like Mth123's theory best.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I like Mth123's theory best.
    Agreed.

Turn Off Ads?