Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Is Mesoraco a top 10 prospect next year?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 55.56%
  • No

15 27.78%
  • Only if he continues to hit AAA pitching

9 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Mesoraco a top 10 prospect next year?

Is Mesoraco a top 10 prospect next year?

Last year, Baseball America named Carlos Santana the 10th best prospect in baseball. In 2009 he hit .290/.413/.530/.943 with 23 HR in 428 AA at bats. This year so far, Mesoraco has hit .315/.388/.616/1.004 with 24 HR in 349 at bats between A+, AA, and AAA. While Santana seems to have a great eye, and is a switch hitter, Mesoraco has better defense and power, and is more then a year younger then Santana was last year. Santana also has struggled to hit in the past, with a .688 OPS in A in 2007, though he had an excellent 2008. I know next year will have a different group of prospects in the top 100, but it seems like Devin is just as deserving of a top 10 spot, if not more, then Santana was, especially if he continues to hit AAA. What do you think?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Is Mesoraco a top 10 prospect next year?

I would say that Santana was better than Mesoraco last year, but I also thought Santana was the 2nd best prospect in baseball last year. Still, I don't think Mesoraco is going to find himself in the Top 10. He may find himself into the top 50, maybe even a 25. But I don't think we will see him in a top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    Last year, Baseball America named Carlos Santana the 10th best prospect in baseball. In 2009 he hit .290/.413/.530/.943 with 23 HR in 428 AA at bats. This year so far, Mesoraco has hit .315/.388/.616/1.004 with 24 HR in 349 at bats between A+, AA, and AAA. While Santana seems to have a great eye, and is a switch hitter, Mesoraco has better defense and power, and is more then a year younger then Santana was last year. Santana also has struggled to hit in the past, with a .688 OPS in A in 2007, though he had an excellent 2008. I know next year will have a different group of prospects in the top 100, but it seems like Devin is just as deserving of a top 10 spot, if not more, then Santana was, especially if he continues to hit AAA. What do you think?
    I think he's worth a top 25 ranking, but I personally believe he'll fall in somewhere around 50th. I think both Chapman and Alonso will be ranked higher.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

I think he definitely deserves a top 25 ranking. He's a legitimate contender for the Minor League Player of the Year award.

There's no way you can tell me there is 25 better prospects in the minors than Mesoraco.

Quote Originally Posted by BakoTheTako View Post
    There's no way you can tell me there is 25 better prospects in the minors than Mesoraco.
    While you may be right, that doesn't mean that other people won't try to tell you that. They will. Just you wait and see this offseason.

What's the track record for NR players going to the top 10 in one year? Top 25? Anyone have any examples?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    While you may be right, that doesn't mean that other people won't try to tell you that. They will. Just you wait and see this offseason.
    I agree, I was just saying.

Example number 1..... Matt Hagan at The Hardball Times (the list is fantasy slanted and still has guys who began the year as prospects (Heyward, Strasburg, Santana, Posey)....

72. Devin Mesoraco

He wont be because of politics. No one will be the guy who gets fooled by him twice.

Example number 1..... Matt Hagan at The Hardball Times (the list is fantasy slanted and still has guys who began the year as prospects (Heyward, Strasburg, Santana, Posey)....

72. Devin Mesoraco
    Gawdawful list.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Gawdawful list.
    It is pretty terrible...

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I just don't see BA putting him top 10, which basically means they were undervaluing him at some stage.

If Mess had had decent years leading up to this year, he might well be top 10, even though he might still be the exact same prospect.

I think there's a bit of a having to pay your dues to get on the list, other than high drafted guys with lots of hype..

hmmm...guess you didn't mean a top 10 Reds prospect then...He won't be a top 10 prospect in all of baseball and it won't have anything to do with politics. 1 tremendous season shouldn't turn a #30 Reds prospect (although that was a terrible ranking) into a top 10 in all of baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    hmmm...guess you didn't mean a top 10 Reds prospect then...He won't be a top 10 prospect in all of baseball and it won't have anything to do with politics. 1 tremendous season shouldn't turn a #30 Reds prospect (although that was a terrible ranking) into a top 10 in all of baseball.
    It isn't about the season, its about how he projects as a major leaguer. Sure, this season helps inform that answer, but the numbers are secondary to his talent and what that talent projects to be at the MLB level. Where he was previously ranked should have nothing to do with those projected talents.

Turn Off Ads?