Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetically Speaking...Playoffs

Hypothetically Speaking...Playoffs

Okay...not to jinx anything, but I've been thinking about this a lot. I feel like one of the reasons the Cards beat us up is that Larussa essentially set their rotation playoff style, and, while the Reds appear to be the better team over the long haul, the Cards are built more for the postseason with that killer top of the rotation.

So, if/when we make the postseason, how does our rotation go? Who starts game 1?

A lot can happen between then and now, but I think I'd go with something like this:

1. Travis Wood
    2. Bronson Arroyo
    3. Johnny Cueto.
    -
    4. Homer Bailey
    5. Edinson Volquez

That looks a bit crazy, what with Wood being so young and inexperienced, but he looks excellent whenever he starts. I don't see Volquez starting in the postseason unless he has to, but I could see Bailey bumping Cueto to the 4 spot if he continues to look as good as he did in his first start back.

I love this team, and they're built to win a lot of games, I'm just not sure how we'll look in October.

Anyway, I'm curious as to what others think.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hypothetically Speaking...Playoffs

if your going by who to start for game 1, you have to look at arroyo..HE's the ace of this staff imho. HE will be your game 1 starter then, maybe wood or volquez but, you go with what got you there and bronson has been giving the reds everything this season, can't go wrong with him.

Cueto is a lock. He has had a great season.

Including Wood is definitely an option at this point. I had been thinking Volquez would be in the top 3 with all the talk (it's like adding a TOR starter when he returns yada yada yada), but he has been inconsistent. Still have over a month to see who has the hot hand.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I say they should base it off of September, so I have no idea who it would be.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Cueto and Arroyo are the automatics.

Volquez and Wood, it all depends how they pitch between now and then.
    I still haven't ruled out Bailey personally. He was awesome to close last season and I have a gut feeling that he may be our hottest pitcher heading into the playoffs this year.

Not to be snarky or all but if Arroyo is your starter in game one and it happens to be against the Phillies, the Reds might see an early exit in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Not to be snarky or all but if Arroyo is your starter in game one and it happens to be against the Phillies, the Reds might see an early exit in the playoffs.
    Any team with any pitchers could see an early exit against the Phillies in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    Any team with any pitchers could see an early exit against the Phillies in the playoffs.
    True, but I still think the best chance is starting Cueto. I believe that in game one, you need to throw a pitcher out there that has the ability to strike out guys at will. This is especially true in a 5 game series where the 1st game is so important. If you throw Arroyo out there, especially if its in the Phillies ball park, it might be a recipe for disaster.

I believe that one of the reasons why the Cards failed last year was because they started Carpenter rather than Wainwright. Carpenter is a great pitcher but he is more pitch to contact and a ground ball pitcher. Waino is just mean and I think maybe that series could have been different if he started that game and dominated the Doyers.

You guys are playing absolutely amazing baseball. And I'll admit; you're a much better "team" than my Cards. But as an impartial baseball fan, I must say, you're starting rotation in a series is not imposing. That's the only thing you'll have to worry about, should you continue this lead and win the division.

I am sure Dusty would go with BA first. After that, I know I am in the minority but give me Travis Wood in a game 2. The kid has been consistently good each time. Bailey is throwing well and he would be my third game.
    Cueto still worries me at times, as he seems like he could get rattled if a bloop and an error happened.
    Also..if playing a team like the Phils with Utley,Howard, Ibaneaz etc, Wood would be a major key. Still a long way to go but fun to think about.

Starters' ERAs of contending teams since July 1st:

Code:
    TEAM	ERA
    BRAVES	2.86
    REDS	3.22
    PHILS	3.42
    CARDS	3.46
    PADRES	3.69
    GIANTS	3.70

If Volquez gets his command where it needs to be over the rest of this season it's

1. Arroyo
    2. Cueto
    3. Volquez

If not drop Volquez for Bailey/Wood depending on how they finish the year out. That would be my top 3 anyway.

I think I'd go

1. Arroyo
    2. Cueto
    3. Wood

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Starters' ERAs of contending teams since July 1st:

Code:
    TEAM	ERA
    BRAVES	2.86
    REDS	3.22
    PHILS	3.42
    CARDS	3.46
    PADRES	3.69
    GIANTS	3.70
    Thanks Tex. I was wondering about that. I love our starting pitching. Doesn't worry me in the least.

Travis Wood has been awesome, but I wouldn't start a rookie in Game One of the postseason. I would go Arroyo (because of his age) and then Cueto. Tough call after that.

Turn Off Ads?