Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Inge, Damon close to passing through waivers

Inge, Damon close to passing through waivers

According to a tweet by Buster Olney of ESPN, both of these guys are likely to pass through waivers soon. Since the Reds are ahead of the Cardinals, can the Cards pick up one or both of these players without the Reds having anything to say about it? Or do the Reds have the chance to make a claim before they are traded?

I would be more fearful of a Cardinal resurrection if they had Inge at 3B and Damon in RF instead of Feliz and Stavinoha.
    Win some, lose some, some get rained out.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Inge, Damon close to passing through waivers

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiRed View Post
    According to a tweet by Buster Olney of ESPN, both of these guys are likely to pass through waivers soon. Since the Reds are ahead of the Cardinals, can the Cards pick up one or both of these players without the Reds having anything to say about it? Or do the Reds have the chance to make a claim before they are traded?

I would be more fearful of a Cardinal resurrection if they had Inge at 3B and Damon in RF instead of Feliz and Stavinoha.
    The Cardinals have waiver priority, so there would be nothing the Reds could do about it.

However, with the addition of Feliz, I would be surprised if the Cardinals could make a play for Inge. They would probably have to DFA Miles or Lopez.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Cards make a move for one of these guys. They have to feel a sense of urgency here with recent changes in the standings. I know if the Reds had lost 4.5 games in a week we would be screaming for upgrades- or even imagined upgrades for that matter.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.- Stan Helsing

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The Cardinals have waiver priority, so there would be nothing the Reds could do about it.

However, with the addition of Feliz, I would be surprised if the Cardinals could make a play for Inge. They would probably have to DFA Miles or Lopez.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they still made a play for Inge. Mo stated that they made the trade for Feliz because they couldn't wait any longer and they didn't know if Inge would make it through waivers. I think Inge is the priority if a match could be made. The problem is that the Cards are very reluctant to trade anymore prospects. It wouldn't surprise me though. I don't think Miles is going anywhere though. Cards fans were really upset the last time Miles left... I don't think they will let him go again. Lopez isn't as well liked by the fans as Miles is.

The Cards may have priority over the Reds, but there may be other interest ahead of the Cards in Inge. Don't know, but its more than just the Reds that could muck it up for the Cards.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Do the Cards have the prospects to get either? They didn't have enough for Geoff Blum for Pete's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Do the Cards have the prospects to get either? They didn't have enough for Geoff Blum for Pete's sake.
    Probably not! lol

Dang I'd love to have Damon hitting at the top of the lineup. Can the Cards claim/block both? They can have Inge if we can have Damon.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I don't think the Cards want Damon. They are happy with what they have in the OF.

I understand that the Reds couldn't claim before the Cardinals, but doesn't that only come into play if the Tigers just let them go? In order for a team to trade for them, don't the players have to be waived by all teams? (I always mean to 'study up' on these revocable waivers, but every year never get around to it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Dang I'd love to have Damon hitting at the top of the lineup. Can the Cards claim/block both? They can have Inge if we can have Damon.
    I've wanted Damon since the offseason. He would look nice in LF and a leadoff.

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiRed View Post
    I understand that the Reds couldn't claim before the Cardinals, but doesn't that only come into play if the Tigers just let them go? In order for a team to trade for them, don't the players have to be waived by all teams? (I always mean to 'study up' on these revocable waivers, but every year never get around to it.)
    If everyone before the Cards does not claim Inge, and then the Cards claim Inge. The tigers have the following options

1. Let the Cards have Inge for nothing
    2. Revoke waivers and keep Inge
    3. They have a small window (2 or 3 days?) to work out a trade with only the Cards. If a trade is not worked out, the tigers can revoke waivers.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Thanks, REDREAD, let's hope it doesn't wind up helping the Cards.

Another scenario is that the Cardinals trade for Inge, bench Feliz and use Lopez at 2B. Skip Schumaker can go back to the OF where he has always been a good defender, and then Stav can be sent to the minors. Even if they don't trade for Inge, which is more likely, using Feliz at 3B, Lopez at 2b and Schumaker in RF gives the Cards better defense than they have had recently.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    Another scenario is that the Cardinals trade for Inge, bench Feliz and use Lopez at 2B. Skip Schumaker can go back to the OF where he has always been a good defender, and then Stav can be sent to the minors. .
    I heard Stav was sent to the minors anyway to make room for Feliz

I think they plan to use Lopez at second no matter what happens. The Shumaker experiment at second has run it's course.

Turn Off Ads?