Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Alternative Teaching License

Alternative Teaching License

For the teachers on this message board, or maybe even those who aren't teachers but maybe know something about this subject...

I'm interested in acquiring an alternative teaching license. Can anyone give me any information about this? I have a bachelor's degree, but it's not an education degree, it's journalism. What steps can I take to get a teaching license in Ohio under this scenario? Thanks for any advice.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alternative Teaching License

Here is a link with everything you need to know.

http://www.ode.state.oh.us/GD/Templa...RelationID=540

Depends on which state you're going to teach in. There are several universities around Kentucky that offer what's called an MAT (Master's in the Art of Teaching), but you generally need a job before you get in.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Depends on which state you're going to teach in. There are several universities around Kentucky that offer what's called an MAT (Master's in the Art of Teaching), but you generally need a job before you get in.
    The MAT is very different from an alternative license; it is a full blown Masters degree. An AL, regardless of the state, initially skips most of the education course requirements to get someone in the classroom quickly. They are not being dished out as quickly as they once were.

I teach in Arkansas, and the process seems heavily in favor of math and science majors. The alternative teachers we have are all in math.

I am not sure how desperate schools in your area will be for journalism teachers, but you might want to research your options with your degree. I graduated in Massachusetts with a degree in English in the 1970s but went back to get certified to teach and coach in Arkansas in the 1980s.

I now wish I had gone the route to earn my masters in education rather than the quicker options.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?