Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $12M

$12M

Brandon might just be worth it next year. BTW, he and Janish are a lot of fun to watch turning the DPs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: $12M

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Brandon might just be worth it next year. BTW, he and Janish are a lot of fun to watch turning the DPs.
    I used to think he was kind of a punk out there, but since moving to the leadoff spot, he seems to have been an inspirational force on the field.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

$12M for the most well-rounded 2B in the game sounds like a good deal to me. Leadoff is a great fit for him and will be even better if his hamstring problem can improve with rest over the offseason.

Agree. I think batting leadoff has done wonders for Phillips, offensively. Not nearly as many wild swings.

I don't want to take away from Votto, but Phillips deserves some MVP votes.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I don't want to take away from Votto, but Phillips deserves some MVP votes.
    I agree. It is hard to argue with Votto's incredible offensive contributions, but Phillips and Rolen make a case for a revisit to MV3.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I think it's a no-brainer that BP is back next season. The bigger question, though, is do they sign him to something like a 3-4 yr contract? He obviously has made HUGE strides since moving up in the lineup and he's as good as there is defensively. I say they get something like that done this off-season. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    I think it's a no-brainer that BP is back next season. The bigger question, though, is do they sign him to something like a 3-4 yr contract? He obviously has made HUGE strides since moving up in the lineup and he's as good as there is defensively. I say they get something like that done this off-season. Thoughts?
    He seems like a great candidate for a rolenesque extension. Reduce 2011's salary and extend it for a few more years. He seems to like it here (better than St. Louis ) and usually players like to reward organizations that gave them a second chance. He also seems like the guy who would be willing sign a hometown discount if it would help the team get better players. Say what you want about Phillips, but you can't say that he doesn't want to win.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    He seems like a great candidate for a rolenesque extension. Reduce 2011's salary and extend it for a few more years. He seems to like it here (better than St. Louis ) and usually players like to reward organizations that gave them a second chance. He also seems like the guy who would be willing sign a hometown discount if it would help the team get better players. Say what you want about Phillips, but you can't say that he doesn't want to win.
    he would, except it would be with Atlanta, not Cincy
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    he would, except it would be with Atlanta, not Cincy
    I think "hometown" is a figure of speech here.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

If I'm reading the contract data correctly:

Phillips makes $11 mm next year (2011) and there is a team option of $12 mm for 2012.

So there is really no decision here. You HAVE to pay him $11 mm next year. You do that and depending on what happens, subsequently you:

1. Trade him at the deadline
    2. Renegotiate the contract (extending it probably)
    3. Pick up his option.

There's a lot of time for that still, but 1 or 2 seem more likely than 3.

Twelve million per year is a lot of money for a second baseman, who will be 31 in 2012.
    Without a reduction in the $$$/year, BP is not going to a RED in 2012.

I like Phillips. He's very good. But you can't get over-enamored with your players and overpay for performance that is likely to decline. That's what gets you into trouble as a franchise.

The REDS are lucky that they don't have too many of those cases and have ridded themselves of many (remember Freel?). Better to not start again.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

How old is Phillips? His "prime" years may be coming to an end soon - do we want to have a contract past them? I like him as a player, yet think that is a hard decision to make.

Is this a potential case of "better to lose him a year too early than a year too late?"

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    How old is Phillips? His "prime" years may be coming to an end soon - do we want to have a contract past them? I like him as a player, yet think that is a hard decision to make.

Is this a potential case of "better to lose him a year too early than a year too late?"
    The Reds are in a spot now, where in the next few years there is going to have to be decisions made on what players they will not be resigning. Face it, we ain't keepin them all. That said, some of these guys will fetch a nice return if the Reds play their cards right. I'm looking forward to it.

Better to lose them early and get something good in return. Thats just generally speaking...my ears perk up if they (the player) offer a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post

Phillips makes $11 mm next year (2011) and there is a team option of $12 mm for 2012.

So there is really no decision here. You HAVE to pay him $11 mm next year. You do that and depending on what happens, subsequently you:

3. Pick up his option.

Twelve million per year is a lot of money for a second baseman, who will be 31 in 2012.

I like Phillips. He's very good. But you can't get over-enamored with your players and overpay for performance that is likely to decline. That's what gets you into trouble as a franchise.

The REDS are lucky that they don't have too many of those cases and have ridded themselves of many (remember Freel?). Better to not start again.
    I believe that was the point about re-working his contract (if he's up for it). Perhaps spread the money out over a few extra seasons if he's willing to accept a longer deal, but working it similar to what Rolen did. Of course, he may not be willing to do that, but it's worth a shot.

I would pay him the $11 mil to show the club is committed to him, and see about making the option a guarantee, but adding 2 years if he's willing to spread it out a bit.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post

3. Pick up his option.

Great analysis.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?