Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone catch La Russa's rant after the Cards' loss tonight?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone catch La Russa's rant after the Cards' loss tonight?

Last edited by ochre; 08-21-2010 at 01:58 AM. Reason: fixed url

Re: Anyone catch La Russa's rant after the Cards' loss tonight?

Classic

Schnickelfritz

What a sundeck.

he should be more worried about his team. they are lifeless right now with the exception of maybe pujols.

Every time he whines he just validates everything Brandon said.And I'm sure the umpires in the future will be ready to give him those close calls based upon his words of wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    Every time he whines he just validates everything Brandon said.And I'm sure the umpires in the future will be ready to give him those close calls based upon his words of wisdom.
    He doesn't care. He's Tony La Russa. Not only does he have two last names, but he invented baseball, by God. Just ask him.

wanna hear something funny..

cardsfan wrote:...no passion. Folks lets face it, the Reds are going to win the division and our players will be sitting on boat seats casting fishing poles come the playoffs. none, I hate the REDS, I literally hate them. I hope they fall apart by injuries time the playoffs come.

The link seems to be broken.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    The link seems to be broken.
    The link works for me still. Takes you to a story with La Russa whining.

Every time he whines like that he just sundecks his own team.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Well, I said it early on in the season when comparing the Cards and Reds. They have 4 great players (Pujols, Holliday, Carpenter, and Wainwright) and the Reds have the overall better lineup, and have better starting pitching if you factor in our #4 and #5 starters, and also the depth beyond that.

The Reds just have a better lineup overall. The Cards have the 4 of the best players in baseball though, but the rest of the team doesn't measure up.

I wondered all along if the Cards having Pujols and Holliday anchoring the batting lineup, and Carpenter and Wainwright anchoring the starting pitching, would put them ahead of the Reds. Or would the Reds having not quite as good starting pitching to match Carpenter and Wainwright, but still very good starting pitching from 1 to 5, and a pretty good lineup from 1 thru 8 be enough to overtake the Cards.

The season isn't over yet, but the answer is getting close to be decided.

And the Cards are headed in the direction of having about 3 or 4 extremely high priced players and a cheap supporting cast for the coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Well, I said it early on in the season when comparing the Cards and Reds. They have 4 great players (Pujols, Holliday, Carpenter, and Wainwright) and the Reds have the overall better lineup, and have better starting pitching if you factor in our #4 and #5 starters, and also the depth beyond that.

The Reds just have a better lineup overall. The Cards have the 4 of the best players in baseball though, but the rest of the team doesn't measure up.

I wondered all along if the Cards having Pujols and Holliday anchoring the batting lineup, and Carpenter and Wainwright anchoring the starting pitching, would put them ahead of the Reds. Or would the Reds having not quite as good starting pitching to match Carpenter and Wainwright, but still very good starting pitching from 1 to 5, and a pretty good lineup from 1 thru 8 be enough to overtake the Cards.

And the Cards are headed in the direction of having about 3 or 4 extremely high priced players and a cheap supporting cast for the coming years.
    The Reds are far more consistent throughout their order. I'm just as interested as you as to how they will move forward after this monumentally disappointing year. Their young, bad infield is especially an issue. They are simply not consistent enough to play in the bigs moving forward; that's even more apparent with Freese out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

Interesting points. To me, it seems the Cards are built to win in the playoffs while the Reds are built to get to the playoffs. However, I would like to note that the Cards have been riddled with injuries this year, much like the Reds were last year. At the beginning of the year, I would have taken the Cards rotation simply because of Penny being the 3rd starter. Penny was dominant until he got injured hitting a grand slam. Not to mention some of the bullpen guys that have been injured along with our starting 3rd baseman.

As far as having 4 good players, I think that could be debated. Certainly I think you would have to add Molina to that list of good players. Though he is having an off offensive year, he has hit close to .300 in the last two years. I don't even have to get into his defense because that speaks for itself. Plus he is extremely durable. I think he has caught 40 more innings than the next closest player on that list. He is still a young guy as well.

I think many of the players on the Cards have potential to be good players but are still question marks because they are very young. Schumaker has hit .300 for the past couple of years and has been a good leadoff man for the Cards but he is having a down year. Brendan Ryan might be the best defensive shortstop the Cards have had since Ozzie Smith (even Ozzie himself has alluded to this) but he is lost at the plate this year. David Freese was in the running for Rookie of the Year until he got injured. I think we are still waiting for Jon Jay to regress to the means but all he still does is hit. He leads even Buster Posey in the batting average department. However I don't know how Jon Jay will do with a full year of ball under his belt. Still, he sort of actually passes the look test to me. Also, right now I don't think you could say you would take any Reds outfielder over Colby Rasmus. He has been in the league for 2 years but has tremendous upside and continues to develop. Will Garcia continue to be Garcia next year? All these are question marks but I see a lot of upside with this team. More maturity will answer these questions.

I appologize, by the way, for being long winded in this response.

I just can't imagine that is good for team moral. You don't want your manager making excuses for you. You want your manager believing that you are good enough to overcome bad calls and other random events that you can't control.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I just can't imagine that is good for team moral. You don't want your manager making excuses for you. You want your manager believing that you are good enough to overcome bad calls and other random events that you can't control.
    I think it is frustration. La Russa felt like a genius 8 days ago. Since then they have lost 5 1/2 games in the standings, and the St. Louis media has been brutal. Yet it is still a really weak response, especially for someone that has been managing for a long time. You never fix anything by blaming the umps.

On a major side note, my uncle played for LaRussa in the White Sox organization a long, long time ago. Still hates him with a passion to this very day.

Turn Off Ads?