Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starters: Rank 'Em

Starters: Rank 'Em

Looking ahead to the end of the regular season and what may come after, Baker and company have, through happenstance, luck, and forethought, a fairly well-rested rotation, plus two.

So, Red fans, who's your number one? Who's now a TOR starter, in your opinion. Who would you want to see start against the Giants? the Bravos? the Padres? the Phillies?

Is Bailey TOR now? Does he need more starts? If so, how many?

How about Cueto?

Would you gamble on Arroyo's guile? Volquez's velocity? Wood's wonderful body of work?

Enquiring minds and all that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Starters: Rank 'Em

Right now I think I'd go with Cueto, because he seems to be the one that most consistently shuts down the other team and if he has a bad start it's usually something like 6 IP 4 ER. However, if Homer does anything close to what he did last year down the stretch here, I'd have to consider giving him the ball as the #1.

However, that's just my opinion. I believe Dusty will send out Arroyo in game 1 of a playoff series if we see one

Wasn't there something with Arroyo not wanting to pitch opening day?
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.- Stan Helsing

Quote Originally Posted by NDRed View Post
    Wasn't there something with Arroyo not wanting to pitch opening day?
    I believe that was a more of a combination of a not wanting to upstage Harang thing, and I'm guessing he did some partying the night before the season started and didn't want to bog the team down if he had been hungover

If the Reds are fortunate enough to make the postseason, I would just start the hottest of the Reds starters at the time. Homer has looked good...
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

I was thinking about this earlier. I know this is getting ahead of myself, but in the postseason I'd pitcch Cueto, then Arroyo for a change of pace, then Bailey.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Arroyo
    Cueto
    Wood
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Arroyo

I'd look at some combination of best matchup, hottest hands and who has had how much rest going in. For example if they are playing Philly.....

I'd probably go something like Volquez, Wood, Cueto, Arroyo, Homer.
    St. Louis I'd go Volquez, Wood, Homer, Cueto, Arroyo.
    San Diego I'd probably go something like Bailey, Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez, Wood.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Too many variables at this point.

Cueto and Wood could both be out of gas by then.
    Volquez may not get his command together.
    Bailey could revert.
    Only Arroyo seems a lock and truth be told, if they all are at the top of their game, he's the number 5.

If everyone is pitching their best, I'd say Bailey, Volquez, Cueto, Wood and Arroyo is how they line up. Since that won't be the case, I'd guess we're likely to see Arroyo, Cueto, and a fight to the finish.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Depends on what happens between now and the end of the season. I'd put it this way: for the sake of our getting there and having a chance when we do, we need to hope the consensus is that Bailey is our number 1.

For me, I go Wood, Cueto, Bailey, Arroyo, and Volquez. If we make the playoffs, I'd throw Wood first.

Good question. I think Cueto and Arroyo, barring injury or collapse, are sure things for a playoff rotation if we make it there. The other two spots are completely up in the air. You'd probably have to go Wood and Bailey right now. That leaves Volquez, Leake, Harang on the outside looking in.

Cueto
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Wood
    Volquez

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Arroyo,
    Cueto,
    Wood,
    Bailey,
    Volquez,
    Next year remove Arroyo place Chapman in Rotation and lets go win our second championship in as many years!
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

1. Cueto-most likely to hang with the other #1
    2. Arroyo-if we lose game 1 to their ace, then he wins the must game most often
    3. Wood-hopefully the first two haven't worn out the pen, cause right now he's a 6 inning pitcher.
    4. Bailey-moving up fast though. I like the fact he's been getting ahead of hitters since coming back
    5. Volquez-tired of hearing about stuff, learn how to get the ball over the plate or he'll never be anymore than the dreaded "potential"
    6. Leake-arm's tired, can't get sinking action on the ball consistently as a result. Bright future, but his production is used up this year, I'm afraid (love to be wrong about that, but...)
    7. Harang-not showing up on the radar
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?