Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The next roster decision

The next roster decision

According to CBS Sports game notes:

Cincinnati SS Orlando Cabrera, who missed his 15th straight game because of a strained muscle on his left side, said he thinks he'll be able to come off the disabled list Sunday when the Reds face LHP Clayton Kershaw.

So what do they do with Cabrera coming off the DL?

I don't think many of us want to see Janish replaced at this time but I think that's the move when Cabrera comes back. Maybe they will just keep OCab on the DL for another week or so.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/gametra...0100820_CIN@LA
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.- Stan Helsing

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The next roster decision

Quote Originally Posted by NDRed View Post
    According to CBS Sports game notes:

Cincinnati SS Orlando Cabrera, who missed his 15th straight game because of a strained muscle on his left side, said he thinks he'll be able to come off the disabled list Sunday when the Reds face LHP Clayton Kershaw.

So what do they do with Cabrera coming off the DL?

I don't think many of us want to see Janish replaced at this time but I think that's the move when Cabrera comes back. Maybe they will just keep OCab on the DL for another week or so.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/gametra...0100820_CIN@LA
    Cant keep using 6 outfielders. It almost has to be one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Gomes is the obvious, and right choice. I'm thinking Nix is the odd man out however.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Dusty and Walt have come this far protecting Gomes and Nix, no reason to believe that will stop now.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Rehab assignment, recall after rosters expand in 10 days.

That's an easy one.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by sabometrics View Post
    Dusty and Walt have come this far protecting Gomes and Nix, no reason to believe that will stop now.
    So who do you think gets the boot?

Only other candidates are Jordan Smith or Bill Bray. I am not sure of their roles with Leake in the bullpen but I am assuming they have ditched Leake in the bullpen to reduce his innings and don't really intend on using him much. If Leake really is the long reliever one of those two could go.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Rehab assignment, recall after rosters expand in 10 days.

That's an easy one.
    For your starting shortstop?

I hope you are right.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

For your starting shortstop?

I hope you are right.
    If they send someone down to make room for him, that player won't be eligible for post-season play. If they just hold Cabrera on the DL (or on rehab assignment) past 8/31, he can be called back up to the club with no corresponding roster move AND retain his eligibility for post-season play.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Only other candidates are Jordan Smith or Bill Bray. I am not sure of their roles with Leake in the bullpen but I am assuming they have ditched Leake in the bullpen to reduce his innings and don't really intend on using him much. If Leake really is the long reliever one of those two could go.
    I doubt they go short on the bullpen with no off-day between the LA and San Fran series. Just a hunch on that, though.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 08-21-2010 at 03:49 AM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Sounds about right neither of these teams we are facing on this road trip are offensive juggernauts I think it'd be an astute move. I think it'd be Jordan Smith. Certain guys aren't making the postseason roster anyway and Jordan (along with Bray) is on the bubble, at best.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The two get out of jail free cards for the post season roster are due to Arredondo and Lincoln. They can send a pitcher down and use one of the exemptions to make him eligible. They have no such option with a position player. IMO, if anyone gets sent down before September 1, its going to be a pitcher. Smith, Leake and Bray would be the candidates.

I'd guess the post season roster will only have an 11 man staff and that the Reds will want that 6th OF available, so I don't see any position players going down.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The two get out of jail free cards for the post season roster are due to Arredondo and Lincoln. They can send a pitcher down and use one of the exemptions to make him eligible. They have no such option with a position player. IMO, if anyone gets sent down before September 1, its going to be a pitcher. Smith, Leake and Bray would be the candidates.

I'd guess the post season roster will only have an 11 man staff and that the Reds will want that 6th OF available, so I don't see any position players going down.
    Another good point.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Heisey go. His playing time has been virtually non-existent since Edmonds showed up.

Can we reinvent Alonso as a pitcher for the playoffs?

So Smith or Leake (I doubt Bray) goes down on Sunday or so and the Reds go with 11 pitchers for about 9 days. Then on Sept. 1 he comes back, probably with Fisher, Chapman or both. Sounds right.

Only other alternative is if an outfielder has a nagging injury and gets some DL time. Doubtful, agree that it will be a pitcher for a brief AAA stay.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-21-2010 at 09:41 AM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I don't think he gets activated on Sunday.

Turn Off Ads?