Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LaRussa whines about balls and strikes

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

LaRussa whines about balls and strikes

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=300820124

"You can go ahead and fine me, I don't care," La Russa said. "There were several strikes, a guy as good as Brian Wilson, he doesn't need. Who knows how that inning would have been?"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: LaRussa whines about balls and strikes

Win the right way AND lose the right way, right Tony?

Keep the foot on the gas pedal, Redlegs. Keep Tony squirming.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

You can't win by arguing balls and strikes. Votto could have been run again tonight, and even though he was right about the location of the pitches he was ultimately wrong for jeapordizing his presence in the Reds' lineup with such a futile argument. The sooner Tony LaRussa learns he does not have power over all he surveys the sooner he will make the step to the next level as a major league manager. His team was not even in the same zip code in terms of "finding" a win in last night's ballgame by accusing the officials of incompetence. To appeal to the media as if bad officiating was even a consideration in the Cardinals' loss, much less an active factor, was a colossal insult to the fanbase of baseball

This drunken fool resorts to such drama routinely.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

That club is really scuffling right now, and things don't get any easier the next two days with Lincecum and Zito facing off against Carpenter and Garcia. Tony needs to figure out what his team is doing wrong and not worry about the umps or this is only going to get worse for them.

Of course I hope he keeps his focus trained solely on the boys in blue.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Championship teams overcome bad umps, bad hops and bad luck.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Senor Votto

Feeling backed into a corner Tony?

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    You can't win by arguing balls and strikes. Votto could have been run again tonight, and even though he was right about the location of the pitches he was ultimately wrong for jeapordizing his presence in the Reds' lineup with such a futile argument. The sooner Tony LaRussa learns he does not have power over all he surveys the sooner he will make the step to the next level as a major league manager. His team was not even in the same zip code in terms of "finding" a win in last night's ballgame by accusing the officials of incompetence. To appeal to the media as if bad officiating was even a consideration in the Cardinals' loss, much less an active factor, was a colossal insult to the fanbase of baseball

This drunken fool resorts to such drama routinely.
    I'm a little doubtful that a guy like him (that's been a manager in the majors for 2+ decades) is gonna change much.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

did anyone see the game, I am sorry but Larussa has a point that 9th inning was horrible when it came to ball and strikes. about 3 pitches where no where near a strike, one of which was a called 3
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    did anyone see the game, I am sorry but Larussa has a point that 9th inning was horrible when it came to ball and strikes. about 3 pitches where no where near a strike, one of which was a called 3
    To me it makes no difference. A major league manager should never blame the ump for costing his team the game, no matter how bad the call. There is a classy, professional way to handle situations like these. Whining about it is not it.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

If an umpire is doing a subpar job, then teams help bring attention to it and force MLB to take a look at the validity of the argument. Why shouldn't the team have a voice? They just have to sit there and take poor quality in umpiring because its not nice to argue balls and strikes?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Poor Tony. I feel so bad for him. He never complains when Carpenter and Wainright get those marginal calls that Wilson got last night.

Maybe it's just me but in general I think strike zones are expanded in the 9th inning. It's like the ump has had enough of squating and it's time to hit the buffet line

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Poor Tony. I feel so bad for him. He never complains when Carpenter and Wainright get those marginal calls that Wilson got last night.
    the pitches that where refereed to, where no marginal calls, they where bad calls.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

the pitches that where refereed to, where no marginal calls, they where bad calls.
    Big deal. It is what it is. It happens in just about every game at some point. Always has. The Reds had some bad ones last night too. Votto was called out on a ball that was 6 inches off the plate and up. I watched the last inning of the Cardinals game. They were marginal and not nearly as bad as the one Votto was called out on. Maddux and Glavine used to get those kind of calls every game.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 08-21-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Maybe it's just me but in general I think strike zones are expanded in the 9th inning.
    Tell that to Cordero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?