Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jay Mariotti arrested for felony domestic violence

jredmo2

Re: Jay Mariotti arrested for felony domestic violence

When he quit the Sun-Times, you would not believe the way the other writers (not just sportswriters, just writers) piled on the guy in the newspaper. While there is bound to be some bad blood when a guy quits, the palpable disdain for him was incredible. IIRC one writer recounted a time where Jay threatened him with violence over some column. When a person's co-workers of several years are chomping at the bit to publicly ridicule him, that says a lot about the type of person he is IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    They don't charge you with felony domestic violence and set a 50k bail if there's not some serious bad behavior going on. Nice to see Jay is as big of a scumbag in his personal life as he is professionally.
    There are a lot of over-zealous prosecutors out there that will initially charge someone with a felony in hopes of inducing a plea bargain for a lesser misdemeanor charge. That's extremely common.

That he was initially charged with a felony tells us very little. Very, very little.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    There are a lot of over-zealous prosecutors out there that will initially charge someone with a felony in hopes of inducing a plea bargain for a lesser misdemeanor charge. That's extremely common.

That he was initially charged with a felony tells us very little. Very, very little.
    Crim Pro 101- he wasn't charged by a prosecutor, he was arrested by the police officer on suspicion of felony DV... there are specific checklists that police officers must follow when making a felony arrest

You, Marriotti, and Mel Gibson should take a road trip together.
    Last edited by WMR; 08-21-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Crim Pro 101- he wasn't charged by a prosecutor, he was charged by the arresting officer

You, Marriotti, and Mel Gibson should take a road trip together.
    Your snark isn't necessary.

The point still stands... these charges are often thrown heavy at first. That is true regardless of whether it's the arresting officer or prosecuting attorney.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

nm

Maybe, but I thought it was very funny. Very, very funny.

Retired

The point still stands... these charges are often thrown heavy at first. That is true regardless of whether it's the arresting officer or prosecuting attorney.
    It's more common to be charged with misdemeaner domestic violence than a felony. The most common cause of it going to a felony is involvement of a weapon of some sort, or his wife have pretty serious injuries. And I ain't talking about a few scratches from smacking each either.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    It's more common to be charged with misdemeaner domestic violence than a felony. The most common cause of it going to a felony is involvement of a weapon of some sort, or his wife have pretty serious injuries. And I ain't talking about a few scratches from smacking each either.
    It really depends on the jurisdiction. There are some police departments that throw the book at people whenever possible, especially when it comes to these types of domestic disputes involving a man & a woman.

I grew up in a smaller jurisdiction and witnessed a guy got into a fight with his wife. She started the thing, was beating him on the chest and he pushed her off. She tripped and fell backwards, hitting her head and cutting it open. Guess what? He had been initially charged with a felony, despite the fact I witnessed the entire thing, gave a report stating he was just defending himself, and they still charged him.

The entire case wound up being dropped, but nonetheless it didn't stop them from making a mountain out of a molehill. And where I lived, it was well known that if that type of situation went to the authorities, as a male you were screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Maybe, but I thought it was very funny. Very, very funny.
    No one really asked you, though.

It really depends on the jurisdiction. There are some police departments that throw the book at people whenever possible, especially when it comes to these types of domestic disputes involving a man & a woman.

I grew up in a smaller jurisdiction and witnessed a guy got into a fight with his wife. She started the thing, was beating him on the chest and he pushed her off. She tripped and fell backwards, hitting her head and cutting it open. Guess what? He had been initially charged with a felony, despite the fact I witnessed the entire thing, gave a report stating he was just defending himself, and they still charged him.

The entire case wound up being dropped, but nonetheless it didn't stop them from making a mountain out of a molehill. And where I lived, it was well known that if that type of situation went to the authorities, as a male you were screwed.
    There have to be certain circumstances involved as defined by state statutes before someone can be charged with a felony. If someone has prior DV convictions or the victim was pregnant, that can bump it up to a felony regardless of how serious the harm is. I've seen guys get charged with felonies in rather minor incidents because the guy had 2 or 3 priors on his record. I've also seen guys get charged with a felony because their wives were pregnant at the time. Likewise, I've seen guys get a misdemeanor even when there was substantial bruising present because it was a first offense. The police have to have probable cause that the elements of a felony exist. Otherwise they'll never get it past the grand jury.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

No one really asked you, though.
    About that I care very little. Very, very little.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    About that I care very little. Very, very little.
    That's really evident by your tone. Really very, very evident. Do you often stick your nose in things that don't involve you?

You guys want to take it private?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I think the title should be changed to "Jay Mariotti has a girlfriend". I don't know which of the two would be more newsworthy, the arrest or that he actually has someone of the feminine gender who can put up with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Amazing. You ever notice how nobody beats the hell out of their woman in the middle of the day?

Alcohol makes you do stupid stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?