Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Manager of the Year, who ya got?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dusty Baker

31 44.29%
  • Bud Black

30 42.86%
  • Bobby Cox

7 10.00%
  • Terry Francona

2 2.86%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manager of the Year

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Manager of the Year

Who ya got as of today?
    Last edited by Reds; 08-21-2010 at 06:04 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Manager of the Year

Ron "cocaine" washington

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

I threw Francona in there as an AL choice because I felt like he deserved mention. I also really think Cito Gaston has done a tremendous job in the AL.

Dusty, while Bud Black is a very close second.

Perhaps I'm a little biased since he is the manager of the team I get to watch every night, but the turnaround that the Reds have had this year with a very similar roster to that of last year's is truly remarkable IMO. I mean the biggest offseason aqquistion was Jonny Gomes.

Quote Originally Posted by knoonan991 View Post
    Dusty, while Bud Black is a very close second.

Perhaps I'm a little biased since he is the manager of the team I get to watch every night, but the turnaround that the Reds have had this year with a very similar roster to that of last year's is truly remarkable IMO. I mean the biggest offseason aqquistion was Jonny Gomes.
    The Padres were worse last year than the Reds and right now have a better record than the Reds. They did get John Garland, but shipped out Jake Peavy last year. Outside of that the big acquisitions were Jerry Hairston and Yorvit Torrealba. No one thought the Pads would do anything, yet many people thought the Reds could contend.

At this point Bud Black is the leader, and if it was voted on today I have no doubt he would win it.

The Buckeye Bomber

I went with Baker out of simple bias. Black probably deserves it more.

They are the only two legitimate choices IMO.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Quote Originally Posted by ThornWithin81 View Post
    I went with Baker out of simple bias. Black probably deserves it more.

They are the only two legitimate choices IMO.
    I tend to agree for the NL. Cox is just the sentimental choice, retirement and all. Heck, today the Cubs had a sign in right field thanking Bobby for his 29 seasons.

NL Manager of the Year: Bud Black. No one expected San Diego to be leading the West.

AL Manager of the Year: Cito Gaston or Ron Washington. The Blue Jays have competed this year, when no one thought they would and most people expected the Rangers to be good, but not this good.

It's Bud Black and he should be leading by a lot more. The Reds actually had expectations coming into the year. The only thing the Padres were thinking about was who they were going to get for Adrain Gonzales.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    The Padres were worse last year than the Reds and right now have a better record than the Reds. They did get John Garland, but shipped out Jake Peavy last year. Outside of that the big acquisitions were Jerry Hairston and Yorvit Torrealba. No one thought the Pads would do anything, yet many people thought the Reds could contend.

At this point Bud Black is the leader, and if it was voted on today I have no doubt he would win it.
    The more I think about it, the more I realize that my answer was slightly homer biased.

Looking at the race objectively, unless the Padres collapse, Black deserves it for sure.

I think in the American League you could give it to Ron Gardenhire every year and not be too far off.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post

If you include in season acquisitions, the Padres got Ludwick.

Would voters give it to Bobby Cox since it's his final season?

Quote Originally Posted by jhc2010 View Post
    Would voters give it to Bobby Cox since it's his final season?
    Probably not, the Braves were expected to compete this year.

Screw it, it's a homer vote and it's kind of a surprising one since I wasn't overly thrilled when he was hired and still don't like everything he does... but I'm voting Dusty.

I completely understand the Bud Black votes for the reasons mentioned. But I'm not sure how much he has to do with their success. It could be he has a great deal to do with it. But he also has the luxury of what I'd have to imagine is the best bullpen in baseball, and also good starting pitching (particularly Latos and Garland) and getting to do it mostly in pitcher's parks.

Then again, he might be doing something, because as far as their lineup goes, it really is pretty much Adrian Gonzalez and a bunch of nobodies. Gonzalez was OPS'ing at .903, and the next highest OPS was actually our friend Chris Denorfia at .831. Of course, guys like Tejeda and Ludwick will and do help, but they obviously were on other teams for most of the year.

I'm just not privy to what Bud Black does or doesn't do for San Diego. I have some idea of what Dusty does for Cincinnati, although I think a guy like Scott Rolen does a lot of the same kind of thing.

Turn Off Ads?