Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Excellent article by John Erardi on Aroldis Chapman

Excellent article by John Erardi on Aroldis Chapman

This is a great read from Erardi.

(Del Rosario swears he has seen 104, but everybody else quotes 102 - until two nights ago, when Chapman officially lit up the radar guns at Slugger Field with three of his four pitches to one batter registering 104, 104, 103), and has learned not to overthrow his slider at 90-91. Now he's getting late break with the slider at 87-88, and everybody knows he's ready for the big leagues.
    Full article:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...-and-off-field
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Excellent article by John Erardi on Aroldis Chapman

It sounds like he is really embraced his role as a closer and helped him instill confidence in his stuff. It sounds like he might have a touch of ADD and maybe being a starting pitcher isn't best suited for him right now.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    It sounds like he is really embraced his role as a closer and helped him instill confidence in his stuff. It sounds like he might have a touch of ADD and maybe being a starting pitcher isn't best suited for him right now.
    if you think he has ADD, Im just curious, what do you think Votto has?

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I would say he has normal difficulties that early 20s pitchers have learning the demands of professional baseball exacerbated by being raised in a very different culture and now trying to adjust from control to freedom. You try it.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I wonder if the reds are not set on him being the closer of the future or if there are still plans on putting him back in the rotation next spring? If he can throw 104 out of the bullpen thats pretty tempting.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

More like scary piece by Erardi, seems like he has picked up some of the bad habits of the professional athlete. Hanging out in Miamis night life, driving Lamborghinis, wearing fancy clothes, "loving the action". That lifestyle can be addictive and can get worse in a hurry especially with the fanfare that comes with the big league starring role. Scary!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    More like scary piece by Erardi, seems like he has picked up some of the bad habits of the professional athlete. Hanging out in Miamis night life, driving Lamborghinis, wearing fancy clothes, "loving the action". That lifestyle can be addictive and can get worse in a hurry especially with the fanfare that comes with the big league starring role. Scary!
    I would almost expect that from a kid (he's still a kid) who went from being in such a restrictive culture to suddenly having LOTS of money and freedom to come and go as he chooses. The question is, will he learn to be a big-league player with staying power who can keep everything in perspective.

The article states that he's learning that he has to be responsible for being ready for games (a new concept to him) and I would hope that his teammates are helping him become aware of the pitfalls that entrap young players.

I think it would be good if the Reds would bring in ex-players to mentor these young, newly-wealthy kids that can help them navigate the process.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

yea, I hated it also. It sounded like the Reds took a huge risk on an infant that can throw 102 MPH with out any control at the time.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Not at all thrilled with the idea of Chapman as a closer. The Reds need a TOR starter and Chapman is the only one who the Reds have who can fill the role.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

I think starter is the best thing as well, if he can do so (which I have no reason to think he cannot) but a previous poster mentioned he now has to be ready to pitch in any game, instead of just 1 out of every 4 or 5, so maybe that change, even if just to end the 2010 season, will help his maturity or approach a bit.

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Thanks for posting, OBM! Great article.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I think starter is the best thing as well, if he can do so (which I have no reason to think he cannot) but a previous poster mentioned he now has to be ready to pitch in any game, instead of just 1 out of every 4 or 5, so maybe that change, even if just to end the 2010 season, will help his maturity or approach a bit.
    That's exactly it, I think. Coming from where he came from, simply getting the hang of everything it means to be a professional ballplayer -- that mix of independence, preparation and responsibility -- was and is a bigger challenge than the pitching. He's learning to be a pro and will soon learn to be a big-leaguer, and when the third pitch comes around, he'll likely be a starter.
    Not all who wander are lost

Seems like inning eating starters are harder to develop than it is to find a solid closer. I hope they are not thinking of him in that role long term.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

His lifestyle like this has been well known for awhile now. This article is great to see that he's toning it down a bit.

Bronson is over 30 and still a big partier, but he still gets the job done every 5th day.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Please just call him up now!
    Most Vottomatic Player

Turn Off Ads?