Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf's Rules are Bunk

Golf's Rules are Bunk

I can't stand about 90% of what comes from Rick Reily, but he's spot on with this one about how dumb some of golf's rules are.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5470940
    Last edited by MWM; 08-22-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: See Boss's policy on quoting
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Golf's Rules are Bunk

There's nothing wrong with the rule about not grounding your club in a bunker or hazard.

There's plenty wrong with the PGA setting the course up and calling those pitiful sand filled depressions hazards.

And if you do chose to do that, how on earth can you let the gallery stand in them?

That's the crime here.

It's all on the PGA.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the rule about not grounding your club in a bunker or hazard.

There's plenty wrong with the PGA setting the course up and calling those pitiful sand filled depressions hazards.

And if you do chose to do that, how on earth can you let the gallery stand in them?

That's the crime here.

It's all on the PGA.
    Plus, placing flyers around to inform everyone of the hazards is a little small-time if you ask this non-golfer.

It is a pro event, manage news to the participants in a way that belies that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

That's the crime here.

It's all on the PGA.
    That's exactly how I feel about.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The DQ of Furyk seemed pretty lame. It's my understanding that not all the players even do the pro-am, which in the bizzaro PGA world means a player is smarter to skip it than to risk missing his tee time.

"I cannot disagree with it more," said Mickelson, who played with Mayor Bloomberg in the Pro-Am. "I have no idea how the commissioner let this rule go through. It's ridiculous."
    Then again, there still is such a thing as a wake up call.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    The DQ of Furyk seemed pretty lame. It's my understanding that not all the players even do the pro-am, which in the bizzaro PGA world means a player is smarter to skip it than to risk missing his tee time.
    Unless I'm mistaken, these amateurs pay a lot of money to play in the pro-am. If Golfer X no shows the event, Amateur Y is gonna be pretty ticked off that his pro didn't play with him. I think a DQ is a bit extreme but fining these guys may not have done the trick.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, these amateurs pay a lot of money to play in the pro-am. If Golfer X no shows the event, Amateur Y is gonna be pretty ticked off that his pro didn't play with him. I think a DQ is a bit extreme but fining these guys may not have done the trick.
    Absolutely, make him pay the guy's entry fee. He was five minutes late, I think. Something could have been worked out.

Absolutely, make him pay the guy's entry fee. He was five minutes late, I think. Something could have been worked out.

It's bunk he was DQed cause he was 5 minutes late. Furyek made an honest effort to get there. But there had to be some reason they made the rule to penalize the golfers so draconian. Money isn't going to replace the thrill of playing with your pro. Money they have or else they wouldn't pay for that event.

Let's say you're a huge Tiger Woods fan and you have put up a good sum of money to play in a pro-am with him. You'll get your picture taken with him and have all these stories about how you played golf with Tiger. You will be the envy of your peers. But Tiger decides at the last minute to go over to the IHOP and pick up a waitress. While you are on the tee with nothing but your driver in your hands, Tiger's back at the motel doing what he does. Sure, the tournament will give you your money back and fine Tiger but fining him is like throwing a deck chair off the Titanic. So they use the threat of the DQ to keep them from blowing the pro-am off. Obviously there should be some middle ground but the pro-ams are good for business.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It's bunk he was DQed cause he was 5 minutes late. Furyek made an honest effort to get there. But there had to be some reason they made the rule to penalize the golfers so draconian. Money isn't going to replace the thrill of playing with your pro. Money they have or else they wouldn't pay for that event.

Let's say you're a huge Tiger Woods fan and you have put up a good sum of money to play in a pro-am with him. You'll get your picture taken with him and have all these stories about how you played golf with Tiger. You will be the envy of your peers. But Tiger decides at the last minute to go over to the IHOP and pick up a waitress. While you are on the tee with nothing but your driver in your hands, Tiger's back at the motel doing what he does. Sure, the tournament will give you your money back and fine Tiger but fining him is like throwing a deck chair off the Titanic. So they use the threat of the DQ to keep them from blowing the pro-am off. Obviously there should be some middle ground but the pro-ams are good for business.
    All that way just to take a jab at Tiger?
    You might be right- a dq might keep guys from blowing off the pro-am. Then again, with the exception of John Daly, how many of these guys are likely to do that? If they don't have any interest in the event, I don't believe they are under any obligation to sign up for it.

All that way just to take a jab at Tiger?
    You have to admit it's a good example and quite probable.

You might be right- a dq might keep guys from blowing off the pro-am. Then again, with the exception of John Daly, how many of these guys are likely to do that? If they don't have any interest in the event, I don't believe they are under any obligation to sign up for it.
    I'm sure most of the pros - including Furyek - wouldn't do this on purpose. But there may be a few that had a late night the night before and don't want to shlep to the course that early for something that won't benefit them. Like I said, I don't think they put that DQ rule in there just for the heck of it. This had to have been a problem before that and they felt the DQ was just the right stick to convince the pros not to blow off the pro-ams.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It is made to keep players from blowing it off. I don't know how a player is assigned the Pro-Am for a certain week, but before players would call out of the Pro-Am citing injury, and then show up Thursday perfectly fine.

While the Pro-Am is great for the PGA in general, you have to realize it's not particularly fun for the player. 1) The rounds take forever 2) You don't get to really practice anything because you're expected to "entertain" the guest players instead of working out a few different shots you might need to hit, and 3)It's not your sponsors that you get to necessarily be helping.

Imagine Peyton Manning going through film with a lucky fan on a Saturday night. Now he'd go through film anyway, but in order to make the experience worthwhile, he probably would have to be a little bit more personable and would possibly miss out on something.

So a lot of players blew it off. Like I said, the one thing I'm curious about is how players are drawn for this. Is it always the top 50 players in the tournament? Or is it a lottery where 50 of the entered players are drawn out? Or do you have a few exemptions where you can decide not to play in the Pro-AM but you are okay to play on Thursday?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

He was late- not blowing it off or kneeling over the hotel toilet with a hangover. According to this article, the rule is there to keep players from hurting the franchise, but seriously, he was late, not absent. And even though the rule is about keeping players from offending someone who pays a high price to show pros how awful they are at golf, the fact is he was still dq'd right? Or did he get to actually play in the pro am and couldn't play in the tournament?

No I understand that the DQ is rather draconian especially for this instance. However if there's one thing about golf rules, it's usually open and shut with little room left for interpretation.

Late = not there = DQ
    Same as if he'd been 5 minutes late for a Tee Time.

Sucks to be Furyck though I'll grant you.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

Sucks to be Furyck though I'll grant you.
    Indeed- the guy is so often in the top 20 that he has to be leaving a boatload of money behind with the dq.

Turn Off Ads?