Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

Thread: 2010 NFL Season Discussion

Re: 2010 NFL Season Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That's a manager, not a player.
    Agreed but how does that make it OK? It sure affects the game, does it not?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I wish there was no expectation that every player chosen for the MLB all star game must get in the game. Presently it seems that the starters only get a couple of at bats before they are pulled.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I wish there was no expectation that every player chosen for the MLB all star game must get in the game. Presently it seems that the starters only get a couple of at bats before they are pulled.
    I seem to remember the All Star games from the late '70s-early '80s, when the NL was taking it to the AL every year, where managers would, as a courtesy, try to get at least one player from every team in the game if the result was settled late, and even then, it was position players only and they might just get a pinch-hit appearance. Starting pitchers would throw around 3 innings and then they'd bring in the next starter for a few innings. Relievers were only brought in for a match-up advantage or to close out the game, but rarely did they burn through the bullpen like they do now.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Agreed but how does that make it OK? It sure affects the game, does it not?
    Did I say that made it OK? I don't know why he did that but that's one example. Counter that with all the NHL ASGs where there's no checking and double digit scores for both teams. Or a Pro Bowl where the defense is handcuffed by the rules. Or an NBA ASG where if someone actually took a charge it would be by accident.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Did I say that made it OK?
    I refuse to respond with the equivalent to your question by saying "did I say you said it was OK?" (See how ridiculous that sounds?)

You were making a distinction between players and managers trying to win. If it's not OK then why spell out the difference as you did?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I seem to remember the All Star games from the late '70s-early '80s, when the NL was taking it to the AL every year, where managers would, as a courtesy, try to get at least one player from every team in the game if the result was settled late, and even then, it was position players only and they might just get a pinch-hit appearance. Starting pitchers would throw around 3 innings and then they'd bring in the next starter for a few innings. Relievers were only brought in for a match-up advantage or to close out the game, but rarely did they burn through the bullpen like they do now.
    My favorite All Star game was the 1970 contest which famously featured Pete Rose's crashing into Ray Fosse to win the game in the 12th inning. Carl Yastremzski was voted the MVP of the game, as Yaz had 4 hits in 6 at bats. Luis Aparicio also had six at bats and Davey Johnson had five. As the game is managed today no way would Yaz have stayed in the game long enough to bat six times.
    I also looked at the 1966 box score for the All Star game, won by the NL 2-1. The NL used four pitchers: Koufax, Bunning, Marichal and Gaylord Perry. While an extra outfielder or two appeared as a pinch hitter, the NL starting outfield played the entire game, and why not, since they were guys named Mays, Aaron and Clemente.
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 02-01-2011 at 04:02 PM.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    That doesn't really bother me, as long as the substitutions make some kind of sense and they don't waste all the pitchers. The reserves are really good players, too. Joe Maddon did a really good job managing it like a real game while still getting almost everyone involved a few years ago, although I guess not every roster winds up being as easy to work with as the one he had that year. More often, you get to a point where it makes sense to use a pinch runner or a RH pinch hitter, but the players you're trying to get into the game are all slow or LHHs.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

As I recall, one player long ago (maybe it was Rod Carew) complained that he was pulled so soon from an All Star game. My how the culture has changed

Would having the Pro Bowl at the site of the Super Bowl (when its on turf) and in the middle of the Super Bowl Brew haha matter? Give the players who make it an opportunity to be acknowledged and experience the Super Bowl when so many will never experience it?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?