Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 NFL Season Discussion

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Re: 2010 NFL Season Discussion

Say what you want about the effect of the 18 game season on player's health, but I know replacing a pre-season home game with a regular season home game would make it easier to justify buying season tickets. (I still think pre-season games should be 50% of the cost of a regular season game.)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    (I still think pre-season games should be 50% of the cost of a regular season game.)
    More than that they should be optional for a season ticket holder

Completely agreed...this is my sixth straight year having season tickets and I don't even bother going to those games anymore. What a complete waste of money.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Nobody likes pre-season games, but the answer to the problem of boring and overpriced preseason games isn't more regular season games.

Scarcity of product is good for the NFL. It makes every game more meaningfull and creates the "event" atmosphere that exists for NFL games and not for other sports with more games (MLB / NBA / NHL etc.).
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2 less preseason games for 2 more regular season games looks like a good trade off for the owners.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    It's a crime that not every Colts game airs in the Cincy market. I see that today Colts & Bengals are both on at 1 on CBS. This needs to not happen!

I have to watch almost all the afternoon Colt games at the sports bar, because although I'm born and raised Hoosier, I now live in a town that gets the Dayton CBS affiliate, so even if the Bengals aren't on, I get the Brownies instead.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Melvin Bullitt out for the season for the Colts, with Bob Sanders already out until Nov/Dec. Yikes! Looks like it is back to the days when the Colts are forced to out-score their opponents, instead of stopping them on defense.

The Dolphins fired special teams coach John Bonamego after an extraordinary 2nd half special teams meltdown on MNF that included the 2nd half opening kickoff returned 103 yards for a TD, followed by a blocked punt recovered on the 15 yard line to set up a TD 2 minutes later, and a blocked field goal attempt returned for a TD less than 5 minutes into the 4th quarter.

Worst 20 minutes for a special teams unit ever?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5651160
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Melvin Bullitt out for the season for the Colts, with Bob Sanders already out until Nov/Dec. Yikes! Looks like it is back to the days when the Colts are forced to out-score their opponents, instead of stopping them on defense.
    Yep. I hate the Jags. The Colts always struggle with them, yet they're horrible. Keep Peyton off the field you give yourself a chance.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

An example of how screwed up Week 4 was in the NFL....

David Garrard had the best Quarterback performance.

According to Fox Sports and ESPN Randy Moss is about to be traded back to the Vikings.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    According to Fox Sports and ESPN Randy Moss is about to be traded back to the Vikings.
    NFLN now reporting that it's done, Moss to the Vikings for a 3rd round pick.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    NFLN now reporting that it's done, Moss to the Vikings for a 3rd round pick.
    Wonder if the Pats will flip that pick as a part of a package to get Vincent Jackson?
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I think Jim Rome is entertaining in small doses. Today was particularly funny talking about Moss and Favre together. Saying Childress had enough trouble with just Favre. Now Moss and Favre will be in their own world drawing up plays on the turf, running whatever the hell they want.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

So, as I did last year, here's the quarterly report: The Jags were a roller coaster ride of emotions last year and this year is no different.

After a winter of discontent, it was a relief to play well at home in Week 1, with a workman-like win over the Broncos. Garrard was decent and no Tebow highlights to inflame the local Gator homers.

But in week 2, the dreaded west coast curse hit again, and Jags got blown out by 25 points in SD. Garrard looked bad. They pulled him late in the game and backup Luke McCown got hit with a season ending knee injury. And the new backup they signed was the ever exciting Todd Bouman.

The Jags came home for Game 3 to face Mike Vick and Eagles. They got blown out by 25 points again, yet somehow this seemed even worse. Garrard was terrible. And it was obvious the Jags were letting time go off the clock rather than have a sense of urgency trying to score.

The only thing that brightened the week 4 preparations for the Colts was the Jags winning the waiver claim on Trent Edwards. Now at least the Jags would have a semi-competent back up QB.

Despite the doom and gloom over the impending beatdown coming from the Colts, the Stadium sold out for the 3rd straight game. And then a funny thing happened.... the Jags showed up.

The way the game ended up was a dream scenario like Bruce hitting the walk off homer in the 9th to win the Division.

Make no mistake about it. The Jags were not the best team that day. They got a couple lucky breaks with fumbles to win. But that just makes it sweeter. After both teams scored on the opening possession, the Jags never trailed (but were tied)... but you just had this feeling that something would happen to enable a Colts win.

Then with about 1:30 to go and Colts driving for tying score, the Jags safety had a game clinching interception in his hands and dropped it. The Colts went in for the score with less than a minute to play. And worse, the Jags took a time out with the clock stopped for a replay, letting the fans know they were not going for the win, just content to head for overtime.

And sure enough, when the Jags got the ball with 42 seconds left, they run a draw play for 8 yards and do not call time out. The Colts say " hey, you don't want to win?.... maybe we do!!". The Colts call the time out.

Something then stirs in Jags, and they throw a couple completed passes, but can only get to the 41 yard line of the Colts. They try another pass and Garrard throws a pick 6 right at one the Colts and he drops it.

Del Rio decides to let Josh Scobee try the longest field goal in franchise history, and he splits the uprights!!!

The entire town went crazy...... In one week, the roller coaster went from the absolute bottom to the absolute top.

Jags end up 2-2 for the opening quarter.

What else have we learned? If you're a Colts fan, don't be so glad Jags are on your schedule twice a year.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 10-06-2010 at 04:21 PM.

Turn Off Ads?