Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Janish take time away from Cabrera?

Will Janish take time away from Cabrera?

Cabrera is eligible for a return any day now, though he'll probably held off being activated until at least Sep. 1 to allow for an extra possible playoff candidate.

My question: will Janish at least take away some of his playing time, if not most?

Interestingly, Janish is almost at 1 WAR through 140 plate appearances. Cabrera is sitting at 1.1 WAR through 450 PA's. That means that, in theory, Paul Janish would be sitting at nearly 4 wins above replacement if he were to continue his performance, being given all 600 PAs at SS this year.

Truth is, he probably would not continue his current offensive performance. But even a reduction in the offensive output, he's likely twice as valuable as Cabrera right now in theory.

Do you think Dusty and the organization is noticing the value Janish is bringing? I think they do, it's just, unfortunately, somewhat a question of 'loyalty.'
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Janish take time away from Cabrera?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Cabrera is eligible for a return any day now, though he'll probably held off being activated until at least Sep. 1 to allow for an extra possible playoff candidate.

My question: will Janish at least take away some of his playing time, if not most?
    Interestingly, Janish is almost at 1 WAR through 140 plate appearances. Cabrera is sitting at 1.1 WAR through 450 PA's. That means that, in theory, Paul Janish would be sitting at nearly 4 wins above replacement if he were to continue his performance, being given all 600 PAs at SS this year.

Truth is, he probably would not continue his current offensive performance. But even a reduction in the offensive output, he's likely twice as valuable as Cabrera right now in theory.

Do you think Dusty and the organization is noticing the value Janish is bringing? I think they do, it's just, unfortunately, somewhat a question of 'loyalty.'

I really hope so.

I keep hearing a lot of the decision makers with the Reds, including Dusty saying things like"playoff time isn't the time to be worried about hurting peoples feelings".This gives me some hope that while this team is ran by a players manager and a GM that lets him do his thing, things could be different from here on out.I really get the feeling that guys like Gomes,Cordero,Cabrera and anyone else not getting the job done or that just doesn't give the team as good of a chance to win as someone else could find the bench becoming a very familiar place.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I keep hearing a lot of the decision makers with the Reds, including Dusty saying things like"playoff time isn't the time to be worried about hurting peoples feelings".This gives me some hope that while this team is ran by a players manager and a GM that lets him do his thing, things could be different from here on out.I really get the feeling that guys like Gomes,Cordero,Cabrera and anyone else not getting the job done or that just doesn't give the team as good of a chance to win as someone else could find the bench becoming a very familiar place.
    With 34 saves in 40 chances (85%), Cordero is in no immediate danger of losing his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I've seen him say these things recently too, but saying them and putting them into practice seem to be two distinct things. Whether or not Dusty lives up to those words remains to be seen.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    With 34 saves in 40 chances (85%), Cordero is in no immediate danger of losing his job.
    I agree.But we saw in Chicago that if Cordero hasn't blown the save and isn't throwing strikes that someone else could take over.All I'm saying in Cordero's case is that the leash might be getting a little shorter.

is this the same group of people(apologies to those of you who deserve it)that had to have something, anything other than Janish as "our" shortstop? We(myself included at times)are sure a fickle bunch. One day we're wanting to throw Homer in any deal that might bring us a middling prospect and the next he's our TOR guy....Janish' and his overrated defense isn't good enough to warrant playing time and suddenly we can't live without him. Bruce sucks...Bruce rocks; Leake is Maddux redux...Leake is Jimmy Haynes(I kid, I kid); Cairo doesn't deserve a roster spot...Cairo is welcome at my house for dinner anytime; etc..etc.. my head is spinning

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    is this the same group of people(apologies to those of you who deserve it)that had to have something, anything other than Janish as "our" shortstop? We(myself included at times)are sure a fickle bunch. One day we're wanting to throw Homer in any deal that might bring us a middling prospect and the next he's our TOR guy....Janish' and his overrated defense isn't good enough to warrant playing time and suddenly we can't live without him. Bruce sucks...Bruce rocks; Leake is Maddux redux...Leake is Jimmy Haynes(I kid, I kid); Cairo doesn't deserve a roster spot...Cairo is welcome at my house for dinner anytime; etc..etc.. my head is spinning
    So do you think Paul Janish deserves more playing time or not.

No one is suggesting that anyone is DFA or benched.I'm only suggesting that it's possible that Dusty might become a little less of a players manager now that the heat is on.

For the record, I never wanted to deal Homer and I never wanted Janish to be the SS. I feel the same way today.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    So do you think Paul Janish deserves more playing time or not.

actually I'm the only one I trust so I'd put me in...of course I'm 43(still younger than Cairo probably)and I've lost a step or 12 so I'd like to leave it up to Janish.

Seriously isn't this fun that any of us still care enough in late August to bother talking about it! I'm thinking I don't miss Tim Hummell at all!

I think it's OCab's job when he returns.

is this the same group of people(apologies to those of you who deserve it)that had to have something, anything other than Janish as "our" shortstop? We(myself included at times)are sure a fickle bunch.
    Fans are fickle?! Next thing you'll be telling me is that water is wet or the sun comes up in the east.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    For the record, I never wanted to deal Homer and I never wanted Janish to be the SS. I feel the same way today.
    FWIW I've always wanted Janish as our SS but as far as the other things I'll plea my innocence.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Fans are fickle?! Next thing you'll be telling me is that water is wet or the sun comes up in the east.
    point taken though for some reason I always consider most of the folks that contribute here as being a cut above the typical fan.

Turn Off Ads?