Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do you think of Jay Bruce

what do you think of Jay Bruce

I am a big jay bruce fan, what do you all think of him ?
    Here is a link to my Bruce card collection. I really think his future is bright.

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...0/JAY%20BRUCE/
    Last edited by skywalker; 08-22-2010 at 10:38 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: what do you think of Jay Bruce

I think he needs to start hammering the ball.

but I do think hes got a great future

Best outfielder on the team, best defensive RF in all of baseball.

Love his personality, love his potential, not a fan of his offensive production.

When Stubbs has been better for us offensively in key situations than Bruce, something is wrong. Bruce has been up here longer and should be ahead of Stubbs on the learning curve. You know he's good enough and not about talent, but in big at bats (I know recently he's been better) I cringe when he comes up to the plate. I like our future with both though, but you just hope Bruce eventually figures it out.

Defensively he's second to none in RF in all of baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Love his personality, love his potential, not a fan of his offensive production.

When Stubbs has been better for us offensively in key situations than Bruce, something is wrong. Bruce has been up here longer and should be ahead of Stubbs on the learning curve. You know he's good enough and not about talent, but in big at bats (I know recently he's been better) I cringe when he comes up to the plate. I like our future with both though, but you just hope Bruce eventually figures it out.

Defensively he's second to none in RF in all of baseball.
    Bruce has been up longer, but Stubbs is the older player. Stubbs also played for one of the best college programs in the NCAA also, so I would argue that he should be way ahead of Bruce in his development. I would not cringe when he comes up to the plate either. He had that awful month of July, but other than that he's been good. He's having a much better year, batting average wise, than last as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    Bruce has been up longer, but Stubbs is the older player. Stubbs also played for one of the best college programs in the NCAA also, so I would argue that he should be way ahead of Bruce in his development. I would not cringe when he comes up to the plate either. He had that awful month of July, but other than that he's been good. He's having a much better year, batting average wise, than last as well.
    Good points, I hadn't considered that. As far as production goes, there's no doubt Bruce has been the better hitter. I'm more talking about hits in key situations.

It's an eyeball test, but the last time I saw numbers they showed that the guy you want at the plate (between the two) if you need that run in would be Stubbs.

It seems with Bruce it's a lot of strikeouts and double plays, and with Stubbs a lotta strikeouts haha. Stubbs will get a big hit for you late in the game though, he seems to have a knack to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Best outfielder on the team, best defensive RF in all of baseball.
    Stubbs covers a lot of ground, weaker arm but he can go get anything

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I love me some Jay Bruce. I just hope he starts making more consistant contact. Right now he has the potential to be the next Paul O'Neal or the next Paul Householder. I hope he's more like Big.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Jays only problem is the way he approaches his at bats.....he goes up there swinging for glory on almost every swing....the best hitters go up there thinking one thing to do with the ball, then when they get behind, they move on to plan B....JB has no plan B.

WOW you have one hell of a card collection of Bruce. Its been a up and down year for him. I thought he would end up having stats like this .250BA/25Hr/80RBIs. Currently he sits at
    .264/13HRs/50RBIs.

Jay has been up to bat this year with plenty of opportunity to drive runs in and hasn't cashed in. He will have to learn to do that then he will be what most of us thought. I LOVE his defense though.

He's my 2nd-least-favorite Red. I wish we would trade him.

My wife wanted to buy me a new reds jersey for my bday this past weekend, the sports store here only had Bruce jerseys in stock, so I held off. I like him a lot, lot of potential, but a lot of unproven yet too. Great, great, great fielder, needs to find a bat. By the way, that is one of the most impressive single player collections I have seen!
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

If he hits no worse than he is this year & plays defense as well as he has this year, he'll be a huge asset to the team. I'd like to see a higher BA, more RBI and less K like everybody else, but this is the best offensive team in the NL right now. (Still seems odd to say that after last year's struggles.) So to whatever degree his offense hurts the team, it's not enough to be that much of a problem.

Jay Bruce is easily going to end up as a 3 WAR player. That going to be likely double what any other outfielder on the team offers.

Bruce: 2.6
    Stubbs: 1.3
    Heisey: 1.2
    Nix: 1.2
    Gomes: -0.2

Edmonds doesnt have enough ABs with the reds to matter really yet.

Basically Bruce has been more valuable to the Reds than any combination of 2 of Nix Heisey and Stubbs.

Gomes is worth less than a replacement player. Sweet. Both Heisey and Nix have played much less than Bruce. If they had the same amount of playing time they might just have a higher WAR than Jay. Although that is speculative to a degree.

Turn Off Ads?