Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey! Let's Get Ahead of Ourselves!

Recovering Cubs Fan

Hey! Let's Get Ahead of Ourselves!

Obviously, the Reds are poised to dominate baseball for the next 3-4 years at least. Every great dynasty needs a cool nickname. I've come up with a few to get the ball rolling:

The Bigger Redder Machine

The Big Dusty Machine

The Rolen Stones

The Smokin' J's (Joey, Johnny, Jay)

The Bosswagon

The Pimpmobile

The Whiny B#%@h-slappers

Aggravated Assaulter's Row

The Hairiest Starting Rotation Ever

Obviously, this isn't meant to be a comprehensive list. But the sooner we get started, the cooler the nickname we come up with will be. I thank you in advance for your enthusiastic participation, and feel very confident that there is no way it's too early to engage in this sort of activity.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hey! Let's Get Ahead of Ourselves!

I can't tell if you're serious with those ideas or not. If you are............

-Matt

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

The New Red Machine
    Hustler's Row
    What if this is as good as it gets?

The 2010 World Series Champions

I would have to say my favorite from your list is the whiny b---h slappers. New red machine sounds good or the young red machine or the Green Red Machine. However, just to let our favorite pretend controversy friend Colin Cowherd (he makes up a controversy like this about twice a week, today it was Boise State) how about the Big Fraud Machine. Anyway, it is way too early for this.

Let's see. The Big Red Machine had the All time Hits Leader (Pete Rose), the catcher who many of the experts consider the best ever (Johnny Bench) and Hall of Famer, the Second Basemen who many experts consider the best ever (Joe Morgan) and a Hall of Famer, a First Baseman who was one of the all time leading RBI hitters, and a Hall of Famer, a Hall of Fame manager (Sparky Anderson), and a shortstop who deserves to be in the Hall of Fame (Davy Conception). When comparing the records of the BRM during the 70's to the current team, you're more than a little ahead of yourself!

I'm a big fan personaly, of this type of thing! I don't believe in superstition, some people say things like this will jinx the team, I have news for those people, you will either win or lose, it has nothing to do with what we say, think or what clothes we wear. So after that being said, let the nick names begin! Now you may be thinking, she must have a good name to offer, It will take me some more time, or maybe I'll just vote for one of yours.
    One more thing, to the person that pointed out the greatness of the big red machine, lets see, what do we have.

1-Scott Rolen- I believe a certain hall of famer
    2-Jim Edmonds(this year anyway) certain hall of famer
    3-Joey Votto- Who even knows how great he will be, skys the limit
    4-Brandon Phillips-for sure can be a hall of famer
    5-Jay Bruce I have a strong feeling he has a stellar career coming

I can go on and on, fact is, they didn't really understand totally, how great the big red machine was until later!

SO, LET THE NAMES BEGIN!!!!!!

There is no chance of Brandon Phillips being a hall of famer.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    I believe I said he can be, not that he was for sure, but the man can play second base like one of the best. That being said, you missed the whole point of my reply. I put those names up, simply to say, we have a lot of greatness and future greatness on this team also! Certainly worthy of a nickname, heck, any team can have a nickname, I bet if you called the Pirates fans, they would have choice nicknames for them!
    Last edited by redsrolen; 08-23-2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: typo

takealeake

Who should we start in Game 3 of the World Series against the Yankees?

"I can go on and on, fact is, they didn't really understand totally, how great the big red machine was until later!"

Obviously a demonstration of why "Youth is wasted on the Young". Fans of the BRM were most certainly aware of the greatness of the team. Of the players I mentioned, Bench and Morgan each won a pair of MVP awards. The fans were well aware of Roses hitting streaks, and certainly knew that the Reds went o the World Series 4times between 1970 and 1976, and went to the NCLS several other times. We were also aware of the all star trips that were made by the players of the BRM. None of those players were one season wonders. Enjoy your fantasy.

I am a 56 year old women that never missed one of their games, either I was at the game or watching it on TV, even watched all of the spring training reports I could find.I believe I know all the stats on that team. I know everyone thought they were great, but over time, they are mentioned more and more.
    I 'm also pretty damn smart when I'm not picking straw out of my teeth!
    So rant all you want, I thought this was a thread about making a nickname, for this team, not talking about the old brm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The 2010 World Series Champions
    and 2011, 2012, 2013

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post

State your case as to why not?No sense in throwing a statement out there like that with nothing to back it up.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

Quote Originally Posted by AintlifeGrande View Post
    State your case as to why not?No sense in throwing a statement out there like that with nothing to back it up.
    If it was the Hall of Fame of defense then sure, but Phillips is no where near MLB Hall of Fame caliber. He's never played for a winning team until now. He's got a career batting average around .260 to .270. He's not much of a homerun hitter. I don't think he's ever driven in 100 runs. He's not recognized as one of the elite players in today's game. Look, I like the guy, but at his age he's never going to come close to having a Hall of Fame career.
    Last edited by bshall2105; 08-23-2010 at 09:15 PM.

Turn Off Ads?