Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 RBI in the last 28 games???

3 RBI in the last 28 games???

How can Gomes continue to be put in the 4, 5, 6 spot in the line up, let alone be starting at all.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 3 RBI in the last 28 games???

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    How can Gomes continue to be put in the 4, 5, 6 spot in the line up, let alone be starting at all.
    I'm still shocked that Dusty allowed Gomes to bat late in yesterday's game, and then immediately replaced him for defensive purposes. If a guy is struggling as badly as Gomes has been, why give him an extra AB in a clutch situation, when you already know you're pulling him the same inning? Crazy. Gomes played a big part in us being atop our division at the break, but he's been really bad since. Can't understand Dusty's thinking here at all.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I'm still shocked that Dusty allowed Gomes to bat late in yesterday's game, and then immediately replaced him for defensive purposes. If a guy is struggling as badly as Gomes has been, why give him an extra AB in a clutch situation, when you already know you're pulling him the same inning? Crazy. Gomes played a big part in us being atop our division at the break, but he's been really bad since. Can't understand Dusty's thinking here at all.
    He did a double switch. If he was replaced for that at bat, then you would need to use a PH in the pitcher's spot. Instead he got the at bat, then the double switch, and the the pitcher's spot is moved further back. The order did get back to Gomes's spot and a PH was eventually needed, but only becuase 7 batters went to the plate in the 9th.

Dusty loves him some needless double switching.
    Last edited by texasdave; 08-23-2010 at 12:20 PM.

He is wayyy overdue guys!
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    He is wayyy overdue guys!
    One would think.

Dunno, but if it hasn't changed yet I don't think it wil. Might as well get used to it and hope Gomes comes around.

Give him a week off, then he'll turn it around at the plate. I don't know about his defense though.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    He did a double switch. If he was replaced for that at bat, then you would need to use a PH in the pitcher's spot. Instead he got the at bat, then the double switch, and the the pitcher's spot is moved further back. The order did get back to Gomes's spot and a PH was eventually needed, but only becuase 7 batters went to the plate in the 9th.
    I understood Dusty's thinking at the time. I just thought he could have pinch hit for Gomes initially and then made the double switch afterwards. I just don't understand giving a slumping hitter an extra AB in an extremely important late-game situation. But I guess my real problem is with what the OP posted to start this thread. Why is Gomes still hitting in the middle of the lineup? And still playing every day?

I really don't think there is any logical answer to the original question. I have done my fair share of defending Dusty and generally like him as a manager. But his continued infatuation with playing Gomes is just putrid, as Gomes has been the worst regular in the MLB for a majority of the season (and he's not even fast). I really thought after his 2nd debacle in LF and horrible night at the plate against Arizona, we would see him ride the pine for a while.

Wow was I wrong, and wow I can't believe Dusty is really that ignorant when it comes to Gomes.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I look at Gomes this way. He is in the lineup for one reason and that is power. He hit 20 HRs last year in 281AB so there was a reasonable expecation he would hit 30+ playing full time. Well he is on a pace for 17.

If the guy is only going to hit 17 HRs I would much rather Heisey playing full time. He is a better hitter, much better defender and runner. Since power cannot differentiate them I would think playing Heisey full time is a no brainer.

I understood Dusty's thinking at the time. I just thought he could have pinch hit for Gomes initially and then made the double switch afterwards. I just don't understand giving a slumping hitter an extra AB in an extremely important late-game situation.
    Well, that would use two guys instead of one sooner than you need to use them. Then once you got around to that spot again it would be 3 guys used off the bench instead of two. It just saves a bench player just in case.

But I guess my real problem is with what the OP posted to start this thread. Why is Gomes still hitting in the middle of the lineup? And still playing every day?

That, in the end, is the real issue. I won't fight anyone who wants Gomes warming a seat on the bench.

But is anybody really surprised that he has cooled off? He had a really nice year in 09, playing part-time. He wasn't a hot commodity in the free agent market in the offseason. I for one never really thought our LF problems were solved when we signed him. He's OK but I think some of us set our expectations a little high. I would take 17 HR from him for the season, but I would sit him down for a while, too. It's a long grind from April to October & maybe he could use the time off. Yes, play Heisey out there.

Dusty tends to give guys who had good streaks long leashes. Dusty really seems to be blinded by a blazing hot streak instead of a consistent player. Dusty sees better than stats do.

Dusty, IMO, wasted an out. And no double-switch was necessary. Simply pinch hit and be done with it. Masset was only going to pitch one inning anyway. And no matter when the pitcher's spot came up in the ninth, a pinch hitter was going to be used.

Turn Off Ads?