Turn Off Ads?
Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 20606667686970
Results 1,036 to 1,044 of 1044

Thread: 2010 OSU Football

Re: 2010 OSU Football

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Do you really think that none of the players got "deals" for their vehicles? I would be pretty surprised if nothing came out of that. The dealership also had signed memorabilia displayed. As I wise man once said, I think the snowball rolling downhill is gathering momentum...
    My company has some dealings with car lots and to say they are 100% above board is a misnomer. They can be seedy places that aren't always on the up and up.

That said here is what I don't necessarily understand. Lets say car Lot X buys a car for $5000. Since they own the car they can sell the car for whatever price they want, right? Since they own the car they have the ability to self finance the car, right? So in essence they can sell the car for $0, hold onto the title and collect payments for however long agreed upon, right? They could sell the car for $6000, with $1 down, and payments starting one year from today and that would be ok, right?

As for the memorabilia I guess it is what it is. If you have an OSU football player come along to buy a car wouldn't you want him to sign something? Wouldn't you want him to sign a photo or a football or anything else? If your a business owner wouldn't you want to show your other customers that? Heck a place like The Montgomery Inn is known for all of their memorabilia.

My company is in the delivery business and we buy quite a few pick up trucks. Over the past few years we have gone to one specific dealership and bought trucks from one salesman. Not only have we bought company trucks from this one guy but he has also been recommended to friends and family. We like dealing with him because he is quick, efficient, no BS, and gets you the best deal possible. Now we aren't associated with any athletes but its the word of mouth and referral system in the car business that is so important. If Thad Gibson felt that he got taken car of and got a good deal wouldn't he go to his teammates and friends and tell them that? Wouldn't he sign photos/footballs/etc. for the company, the salesman, the salesmen's kids, etc?

What I find ironic about this whole ordeal is that it has already passed through OSU's compliance department.

2. Turn Off Ads?

"Taken care of" is the key here, bucksfan. If he's getting benefits others wouldn't because of his athletic skills, it's a red flag and an NCAA violation.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    My company has some dealings with car lots and to say they are 100% above board is a misnomer. They can be seedy places that aren't always on the up and up.

That said here is what I don't necessarily understand. Lets say car Lot X buys a car for $5000. Since they own the car they can sell the car for whatever price they want, right? Since they own the car they have the ability to self finance the car, right? So in essence they can sell the car for $0, hold onto the title and collect payments for however long agreed upon, right? They could sell the car for $6000, with $1 down, and payments starting one year from today and that would be ok, right?

As for the memorabilia I guess it is what it is. If you have an OSU football player come along to buy a car wouldn't you want him to sign something? Wouldn't you want him to sign a photo or a football or anything else? If your a business owner wouldn't you want to show your other customers that? Heck a place like The Montgomery Inn is known for all of their memorabilia.

My company is in the delivery business and we buy quite a few pick up trucks. Over the past few years we have gone to one specific dealership and bought trucks from one salesman. Not only have we bought company trucks from this one guy but he has also been recommended to friends and family. We like dealing with him because he is quick, efficient, no BS, and gets you the best deal possible. Now we aren't associated with any athletes but its the word of mouth and referral system in the car business that is so important. If Thad Gibson felt that he got taken car of and got a good deal wouldn't he go to his teammates and friends and tell them that? Wouldn't he sign photos/footballs/etc. for the company, the salesman, the salesmen's kids, etc?

What I find ironic about this whole ordeal is that it has already passed through OSU's compliance department.
    I hope you use that term VERY loosely.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

I have no idea what happened, but it looks terrible, and perception matters. I think the NCAA is a joke when it comes to football (and basketball), and I think many of the rules are pretty soft. But when you make the NCAA look stupid, it's not going to be surprising if they come down hard, and Ohio State is into that territory now.

I love Tressel, and I'd love for all of this to blow over, but geez that seems unlikely at this point.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's cool that so many who wear helmets with Buckeye stickers on them could never have done anything that was remotely illegal.

Hut, hut, hut... OSU gets more passes now then they ever did during the Hayes era (get it? Woodie liked to run the football... get it?)

Friend of mine who went to OSU told me last night that they were the new FSU!!
    I think Woody and the university just covered things up in those days. Probably got cooperation from campus police, probably Columbus police for that matter. Less media sniffing around.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I think Woody and the university just covered things up in those days. Probably got cooperation from campus police, probably Columbus police for that matter. Less media sniffing around.
    True... however he looked bad in a vest too.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011042...l-should-fired

You would never see a scene in Columbus today like you saw in 1961. That year, Ohio State declined a Rose Bowl bid, partly because faculty members were worried football was becoming too big and detracting from the school’s academic mission. The school’s coach, Woody Hayes, was famously furious. But Hayes also said this:

“I would not want football to drive a line of cleavage in our university. Football is not worth that.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I hope you use that term VERY loosely.
    From what I have heard OSU has one of the largest compliance department in all of college athletics. For example it may have "looked bad" when Pryor was driving a rental car for three days but it passed the compliance department and the NCAA had no issue with it.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Was in St Clairsville yesterday at the Ohio Valley Mall and saw this t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Yay!

We're over 1000 posts here. Feel free to start a new one.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?