Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would You Like to See OSU and Michigan in the Same Division of the Big Ten?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 80.00%
  • No

    6 20.00%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 102

Thread: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

  1. #1
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,629

    OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    According to this writer the OSU-UM football rivalry could go by the wayside:

    The Big Ten should announce its division pairings sometime in September, and the idea of placing Michigan and Ohio State in opposite divisions has been gaining steam, with everyone from Ohio State coach Jim Tressel to Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany to Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith to Michigan athletic director David Brandon laying groundwork for that possibility
    http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.s...n_must_no.html

    I think this is a mistake. Arguably, OSU-MI is the most storied rivalry in all of sports and this setup would end it. In years like this yr in all likelihood the two wouldn't even meet. Some years they would meet twice, further diluting the impact of the game.

    I feel strongly that they should be kept in the same division so that they play every year and also it would ensure that a lot rides on the game.

    What do you think?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    839

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    It doesn't matter to me about divisions, as long as they make sure The Big Game gets played every year on the last weekend of the Big 10 schedule.

    As a matter of fact, I think the last week of the season should always look like this.
    OSU v Mich
    IU v Purd
    Ill v NW
    Iowa v Neb
    Minn v Wis
    MSU v PSU

    That should get some rivalries going at the end of the year.
    Last edited by Captain13; 08-24-2010 at 11:21 AM.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

  4. #3
    The Buckeye Bomber
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    391

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    They have to play every year in the last regular season game. If they take that away it ceases to be the greatest rivalry in American sports.

    Hopefully UM/OSU grads and fans can get vocal and make sure this doesn't happen.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

  5. #4
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,478

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    I would be in favor of placing them in opposite divisions if the Big Ten does indeed go to divisional play. If anything the rivalry would intensify. A Big Ten tile game matching the Wolverines and Buckeyes would be a blast. Of course, I say that as someone with no horse in the race and maybe UM and OSU fans feel differently.

  6. #5
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    According to this writer the OSU-UM football rivalry could go by the wayside:



    http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.s...n_must_no.html

    I think this is a mistake. Arguably, OSU-MI is the most storied rivalry in all of sports and this setup would end it. In years like this yr in all likelihood the two wouldn't even meet. Some years they would meet twice, further diluting the impact of the game.

    I feel strongly that they should be kept in the same division so that they play every year and also it would ensure that a lot rides on the game.

    What do you think?
    It's all about revenue. Put Ohio State and Michigan in separate divisions and see to it that they play every season (which would probably still happen), and then if both teams are hot, they face each other again in the Big Ten Championship.

    It divides them up and likely means they will see each other twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  7. #6
    Raaaaaaaandy guttle11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,118

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    Letting them play twice only set the league up for logistical disaster. One school wins on the other's home field, goes unbeaten. In a title game rematch the previous game loser pulls the upset and wins the Big Ten title. The credibility of the league title is iffy at best and the league could well miss out on a National Title Game appearance.

    The best division breakdown for the Big Ten:

    Ohio State
    Michigan
    Iowa
    Michigan State
    Indiana
    Purdue


    Penn State
    Nebraska
    Wisconsin
    Northwestern
    Minnesota
    Illinois

    Revenue wise you split the 6 biggest, most reliable fan bases up evenly. 99% of the time one of those schools will be in the title game, and about 80% of the time you'll have 2 of the 6 playing each other.

    OSU/Michigan
    Iron Bowl
    ND/USC
    Army/Navy

    Football rivalries are special because you only meet once. One shot for everything. You start giving them the chance to meet twice a year, every year and you dilute the rivalry. Suddenly OSU playing Michigan won't be the same draw it was before. Over time it wouldn't draw more eyeballs and dollars than a Michigan/Nebraska or Ohio State/Penn State game, and you've ruined a great thing in vein.
    Last edited by guttle11; 08-24-2010 at 12:08 PM.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. That’s the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

  8. #7
    Member 15fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,521

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    Put all 12 teams in one division. Overall winner gets a bid to the title game.

    Opponent is drawn at random from the 11 remaining teams, NBA lottery style.

  9. #8
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,255

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Letting them play twice only set the league up for logistical disaster. One school wins on the other's home field, goes unbeaten. In a title game rematch the previous game loser pulls the upset and wins the Big Ten title. The credibility of the league title is iffy at best and the league could well miss out on a National Title Game appearance.

    The best division breakdown for the Big Ten:

    Ohio State
    Michigan
    Iowa
    Michigan State
    Indiana
    Purdue


    Penn State
    Nebraska
    Wisconsin
    Northwestern
    Minnesota
    Illinois

    Revenue wise you split the 6 biggest, most reliable fan bases up evenly. 99% of the time one of those schools will be in the title game, and about 80% of the time you'll have 2 of the 6 playing each other.

    OSU/Michigan
    Iron Bowl
    ND/USC
    Army/Navy

    Football rivalries are special because you only meet once. One shot for everything. You start giving them the chance to meet twice a year, every year and you dilute the rivalry. Suddenly OSU playing Michigan won't be the same draw it was before. Over time it wouldn't draw more eyeballs and dollars than a Michigan/Nebraska or Ohio State/Penn State game, and you've ruined a great thing in vein.
    Penn State has to be in the East. They have been upset over travel costs, and the next wave of conference expansion will be done with them in mind.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  10. #9
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    Do Michigan fans WANT the 'rivalry' to continue?

    As they say, sometimes the better part of valor is discretion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  11. #10
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,380

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    There is ebb and flow to every rivalry. OSU has dominated recently, but UM kicked their butt for a long stretch in the late '90's/early 2k's.

    I'm just afraid that no matter what they do, it will wreck the rivalry.

    It's about
    the ball,
    the bat,
    the mitt,
    the bases,
    and the fans

  12. #11
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,297

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Do Michigan fans WANT the 'rivalry' to continue?

    As they say, sometimes the better part of valor is discretion.
    You mean the same one that Michigan leads, 57–43–6?

    Ummm yeah.

  13. #12
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You mean the same one that Michigan leads, 57–43–6?

    Ummm yeah.
    I knew someone would quote the all-time record...

    what's the record for UM v. OSU in the Tressel era?

    Maybe just move divisions until he retires?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  14. #13
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,297

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I knew someone would quote the all-time record...

    what's the record for UM v. OSU in the Tressel era?

    Maybe just move divisions until he retires?
    It's not good, but then again what was it during the Bruce era?

    History is not just what you can see in YOUR rearview mirror, there are folks who have been watching that matchup for decades

  15. #14
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's not good, but then again what was it during the Bruce era?

    History is not just what you can see in yOUR rearview mirror, theer are folks who have been watching that matchup for decades
    True, true.

    It's just gotta be getting real old having OSU put a big negative stamp on the UM season every year...

    maybe getting away from having to play the OSU juggernaut would help the UM program recover? But then again, think how good it will feel to finally beat them again... it cuts both ways, I guess.

    I personally love collegiate rivalries and would hate to see this one changed...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    2,097

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    I'm sure WMR was ready for UK to admit they couldn't compete with UofL back when Petrino's teams were dominating UK a few years back (and after John L's teams and even Ron Cooper's teams had pretty much owned the series).

    Strangely, the tides sometimes turn.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25