Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would You Like to See OSU and Michigan in the Same Division of the Big Ten?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 80.00%
  • No

6 20.00%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

The Buckeye Bomber

Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I wonder what sort of response you would receive if this question was posed to the current UM student body?
    They would hate it. Absolutely hate it.

It defines both of our football programs (I went to Ohio State from 2004 to 2009). It is everything.

I think they should just leave the conference alone. We've had 11 teams for years now and we only had one division. Every team gets 8 divisional games. Instead of playing 8 out of 10 division peers each year, teams will now play 8 out of 11. Simply add in Nebraska and leave it alone. Make sure the big rivalries play every year and go from there.

I hate the 6 and 6 "Title Game" setups anyway. Teams should not play twice a year in College Football, unless by some freak circumstances two non-conference opponents play early in the season, go undefeated from there and meet again in the National Title game (or another bowl, for that matter).

Think about this: If the Big Ten had 12 teams in 2006 when "The Game of the Century" was played in Columbus, that game would have lost most of it's meaning, assuming OSU and Michigan were in opposite conferences. OSU beats Michigan and then faces Michigan on a neutral site the next week? Terrible. Just terrible.

It's perfect that our seasons always end up against each other. If OSU is undefeated and heading to a title game, they have to get through the Wolverines. If the Wolverines are undefeated and heading for the title game (Sadly, a long shot these days) they have to go through the Buckeyes.

That is the way it should always be.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    In terms of football talent compared to Michigan? Yes it sure is.

I think that is what 15 fan was talking about.
    Not the drift I was getting, "destination" "options" all belie the place, not the folks at said place.

That said I'd take Ann Arbor 10000 times over Columbus... as a "destination"

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    In terms of football talent compared to Michigan? Yes it sure is.

I think that is what 15 fan was talking about.
    I'm thinking more along the lines of college atmosphere. SoCal and beach life, etc.

All Ohio State has to offer is academics and facilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Not the drift I was getting, "destination" "options" all belie the place, not the folks at said place.

That said I'd take Ann Arbor 10000 times over Columbus... as a "destination"

And I'd take Westwood, CA 10000 times over both if a kid is really exploring his options.....though, somehow, UCLA has still managed to be mediocre to bad for most of a decade.

The Buckeye Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I'm thinking more along the lines of college atmosphere. SoCal and beach life, etc.

All Ohio State has to offer is academics and facilities.
    Sorry, wrong. "College Atmosphere" goes beyond sunny weather and beach access. If you play football at Ohio State you are a god in the city of Columbus, especially on that campus. That goes a long way, as does the fact that most of OSU's players grow up wearing OSU gear from the crib onward.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

And Columbus is the Paris of the Midwest?
    Nah. Parisians are snooty. Columbus is more...London. It's always gray both places.

Shoulda done a better job spelling out my premise. In a nutshell,

http://www.census.gov/popest/states/NST-ann-est.html

Michigan's population has been flat for the past decade, and has actually declined each of the last 4 years. Over the same time frame, Ohio (which has about 1.5 million more people) has added population each year, and grown by about 200,000 people over the decade. The Great Lakes region as a whole isn't adding population like the sun belt, southwest, or California. Michigan as a state is seeing a net outflow of people. There doesn't appear to be anything on the immediate horizon to reverse that trend line.

That's a reflection of a lot of things. Mainly economics. If you are a kid who grew up in Michigan, staying at home for college & football is an easier sell. If you are a kid from outside the state / region, it's a tougher sell. Factor in the weather (worse in Ann Arbor than in just about any other major college football town), and the smaller home state population base from which to draw, and those are two big things that UM must overcome. All else being equal, UM must import talent without a couple of the usual selling points that make it easy for Chambers of Commerce to drum up interest.
    Last edited by 15fan; 08-24-2010 at 04:35 PM.

double post

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Nah. Parisians are snooty. Columbus is more...London. It's always gray both places.

Shoulda done a better job spelling out my premise. In a nutshell,

http://www.census.gov/popest/states/NST-ann-est.html

Michigan's population has been flat for the past decade, and has actually declined each of the last 4 years. Over the same time frame, Ohio (which has about 1.5 million more people) has added population each year, and grown by about 200,000 people over the decade. The Great Lakes region as a whole isn't adding population like the sun belt, southwest, or California. Michigan as a state is seeing a net outflow of people. There doesn't appear to be anything on the immediate horizon to reverse that trend line.

That's a reflection of a lot of things. Mainly economics. If you are a kid who grew up in Michigan, staying at home for college & football is an easier sell. If you are a kid from outside the state / region, it's a tougher sell. Factor in the weather (worse in Ann Arbor than in just about any other major college football town), and the smaller home state population base from which to draw, and those are two big things that UM must overcome. All else being equal, UM must import talent without a couple of the usual selling points that make it easy for Chambers of Commerce to drum up interest.

Stats are stats, and Columbus is still Columbus.

Quote Originally Posted by ThornWithin81 View Post
    They would hate it. Absolutely hate it.

It defines both of our football programs (I went to Ohio State from 2004 to 2009). It is everything.

I think they should just leave the conference alone. We've had 11 teams for years now and we only had one division. Every team gets 8 divisional games. Instead of playing 8 out of 10 division peers each year, teams will now play 8 out of 11. Simply add in Nebraska and leave it alone. Make sure the big rivalries play every year and go from there.

I hate the 6 and 6 "Title Game" setups anyway. Teams should not play twice a year in College Football, unless by some freak circumstances two non-conference opponents play early in the season, go undefeated from there and meet again in the National Title game (or another bowl, for that matter).

Think about this: If the Big Ten had 12 teams in 2006 when "The Game of the Century" was played in Columbus, that game would have lost most of it's meaning, assuming OSU and Michigan were in opposite conferences. OSU beats Michigan and then faces Michigan on a neutral site the next week? Terrible. Just terrible.

It's perfect that our seasons always end up against each other. If OSU is undefeated and heading to a title game, they have to get through the Wolverines. If the Wolverines are undefeated and heading for the title game (Sadly, a long shot these days) they have to go through the Buckeyes.

That is the way it should always be.
    That ship's already sailed. The main reason for adding a 12th team was so they could have a championship game. I share your concern about teams having to play twice but it'll also break ties. There have been years where the top two teams in the Big Ten didn't play each other.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    UM and RR each got what they deserved when they hooked up, IMO.

UM has historically done well when they've poached top shelf talent from Ohio. When Tressell shut of that pipeline, the tide turned.

I think UM is going to have a tough time returning to the status as an elite power every year. Michigan as a destination is a really tough sell. Especially on 18-23 year olds who also have options to head to places like Austin, LA, Tallahassee, Miami, etc.
    If location were the top priority of playing football in college, none of the Big 10 schools or Big 12 schools would get any recruits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

The Buckeye Bomber

Stats are stats, and Columbus is still Columbus.
    I wouldn't move back to Columbus for any length of time. If it weren't for the friends I have in the city I wouldn't even consider it on a short time basis.

I've never been to Ann Arbor so I can't compare.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

What's the first non-OSU thing you think about when it comes to Columbus? I'm still trying to think of something... Chain restaurants, maybe?

Oh, and OSU and Michigan need to play every year.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by ThornWithin81 View Post
    I wouldn't move back to Columbus for any length of time. If it weren't for the friends I have in the city I wouldn't even consider it on a short time basis.

I've never been to Ann Arbor so I can't compare.
    Ann Arbor is smaller, I haven't been in YEARS so I'm not qualified to speak of now... I'm just pushing buttons... well because i'm a UM fan, and that's all I got right now

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    What's the first non-OSU thing you think about when it comes to Columbus? I'm still trying to think of something... Chain restaurants, maybe?

Oh, and OSU and Michigan need to play every year.
    The Big Bang.

The Buckeye Bomber

Ann Arbor is smaller, I haven't been in YEARS so I'm not qualified to speak of now... I'm just pushing buttons... well because i'm a UM fan, and that's all I got right now
    All I know is that they play in a giant toilet bowl.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

Turn Off Ads?