Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would You Like to See OSU and Michigan in the Same Division of the Big Ten?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 80.00%
  • No

6 20.00%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

The Buckeye Bomber

Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    What's the first non-OSU thing you think about when it comes to Columbus? I'm still trying to think of something... Chain restaurants, maybe?

Oh, and OSU and Michigan need to play every year.
    The Columbus Blue Jackets!
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Penn State has to be in the East. They have been upset over travel costs, and the next wave of conference expansion will be done with them in mind.
    No they don't. Ohio State and Michigan are Big Ten football. Penn State is going nowhere regardless of division. They will not walk away from more than $25 million a year. Put them with Nebraska and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ThornWithin81 View Post
    Sorry, wrong. "College Atmosphere" goes beyond sunny weather and beach access. If you play football at Ohio State you are a god in the city of Columbus, especially on that campus.
    Same could be said for USC and all the other powerhouses. You are a god if you play basketball at UK all throughout the state. In some powerhouse states (Tennessee and Florida), college football is more prevalent than the NFL.

That goes a long way, as does the fact that most of OSU's players grow up wearing OSU gear from the crib onward
    No surprise, as Ohio is a hotbed of football talent. With Tressel, its a matter of keeping that talent in-state.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    What's the first non-OSU thing you think about when it comes to Columbus? I'm still trying to think of something... Chain restaurants, maybe?
    Burning couches? Oh, wait, that's tOSU related.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

The Buckeye Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    After the win against Michigan in 2005 I watched a guy drag his couch onto Lane Avenue and light it up.

I also watched him get arrested.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

I thought that was WVU.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I thought that was WVU.
    We've burned our fair share of couches in Morgantown but Ohio St. and others do it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    No they don't. Ohio State and Michigan are Big Ten football. Penn State is going nowhere regardless of division. They will not walk away from more than $25 million a year. Put them with Nebraska and be done with it.
    Penn State isn't walking away from anything, what I was saying is that you can't put them into a division of all teams in the western part of the conference. They will object to that.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Stats are stats, and Columbus is still Columbus.
    Columbus is a beautiful city. You have your opinion, and that's fine. I realize it supports your general argument. But I don't see the point in making it seem like a bum city. Ann Arbor and Columbus are different. They both are unique, and they both have a charm about them.

It appears they are going to a 9 game schedule and Iowa and Wisconsin will be in different divisions,

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5498692
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

If Michigan and OSU are split up I foresee it working out just as well as the ACC's foolish idea of splitting Miami South and fsu up in an attempt to have them meet every year in their title game.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Stats are stats, and Columbus is still Columbus.
    It's gotten a lot nicer in the last ten years. For whatever that's worth.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I would think, if tOSU and UM wind up in different divisions, that each team will be allowed to select another school in the other division that they will play every year. In this case UM and tOSU would play every season.

With a championship game, it takes a bit of the shine off the rivalry if they end up playing in the championship game. It might end up somewhat anti-climatic.
    I imagine they'd still find a way to protect that rivalry, but as you said the championship game cheapens it a bit.
    A good comparison is the Texas-Oklahoma game, they're in the same division, which means that only one will get to play for the Big 12 championship, and it's usually decided by the middle of October who that south champion will be.

The Ohio State-Michigan rivalry would be even better because it would be the last game of the "regular" season. Even in years where one is down, the chance to play spoiler would be huge.

In my opinion I could live with these divisions;

West
    Nebraska
    Wisconsin
    Iowa
    Minnesota
    Northwestern
    Illinois

East
    tOSU
    tPSU
    Michigan
    tMSU
    Indiana
    Purdue

While it's true the Big 3 are bigger names in the East than in the West, the only time East vs. West really matters is in the Championship game, and Nebraska(most likely) or Iowa or Wisconsin would be no pushover.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

If OSU and Mich meet a second time in championship game I only see problems coming out of that. What if the losing team (in their first meeting) wins the championship game? How will that play?

If you put them in the same division and play their last game in late Nov it makes that one game huge. What can be better than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If OSU and Mich meet a second time in championship game I only see problems coming out of that. What if the losing team (in their first meeting) wins the championship game? How will that play?
    Hence the problem.

If you put them in the same division and play their last game in late Nov it makes that one game huge. What can be better than that?
    If - like a few years ago - both are top rated teams, the loser gets screwed. Maybe a last second FG turns the tide or someone sprained an ankle. The losing team can say that if that player was healthy they would have won.

We have to remember that there is no law that says UM and OSU are always going to be the best two teams in the Big T(welv)en. It doesn't diminish the rivalry any when either or both teams have fallen on tough times. You think Florida kids (and fans) don't have the same intensity for the Georgia game if Georgia isn't a top 25 team? The OSU-UM rivalry will survive whether they are in different divisions or not.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?