Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would You Like to See OSU and Michigan in the Same Division of the Big Ten?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 80.00%
  • No

    6 20.00%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 102

Thread: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

  1. #76
    Member SandyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Kenner , LA
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    I vote for same division. Seriously. Just go geographic, and have:
    NE, MN, IA, WI, IL, NW in the west
    OSU, UM, MSU, PSU, Pur, IN in the east.

    Have one set non-division game every year if necessary to preserve rivalries that may be broken.

    NE needs a rival, and IA seems like a likely choice.

    I wasn't crazy about the idea of a championship game when the SEC started theirs, but it's kind of grown on me. And I don't think any rivalries have broken down because of it.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #77
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,024

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    I vote for same division. Seriously. Just go geographic, and have:
    NE, MN, IA, WI, IL, NW in the west
    OSU, UM, MSU, PSU, Pur, IN in the east.

    Have one set non-division game every year if necessary to preserve rivalries that may be broken.

    NE needs a rival, and IA seems like a likely choice.

    I wasn't crazy about the idea of a championship game when the SEC started theirs, but it's kind of grown on me. And I don't think any rivalries have broken down because of it.
    Here is the issue I see with your breakdown. Starting next season the Big Ten will have 4 program schools. Schools that will always be relevant regardless of their record. Teams that have larger athletic budgets, have a history of winning, and really will be cash cows for the Big Ten. Those schools are OSU, UM, PSU, and now Nebraska. After that you have some nice schools in MSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, maybe Purdue. Then you have the bottom feeders, teams that every once in a while while will surprise but aren't to be counted upon to do much. And then you have Indiana.

    The problem I see, and I think the problem the new alignment has, is you have three of your top four programs in the same division. And I do think the Big 10 would love to see OSU play UM in the Big Ten championship. How many times have we see the Big 12 title pretty much declared by the OU Texas game mid season? I don't have an issue with OSU and UM being in different divisions if they play every year and it isn't the first game of the season.

  4. #78
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    839

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    I agree w/the East-West split. I also think the Big 10 should have "rivalry week" to end the season. That week the 6 games should be OH St v Mich, MSU v PSU, IU v. PU, Ill v NW, MN v WI and Iowa V Neb. That, my friends, is a fun day of football. You could schdule 2 games each at noon, 3:30, and 8:00.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

  5. #79
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,167

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    Looks like tOSU president Gordon Gee is OK with UM and tOSU not only being in different divisions but playing earlier in the season.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5501871
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  6. #80
    Member Reds Fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    16,498

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    It will be officially announced tonight but it looks like they are putting Ohio State and Michigan in seperate divisions. This will almost surely result in that game being moved up earlier in the year in future years because otherwise the possibility would exist of having to play each other in back to back weeks if they met in the championship game.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5519832

  7. #81
    Raaaaaaaandy guttle11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,118

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    Ugh, *sigh*.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

  8. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Culver City, CA
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    Yeah not real happy about this.

    The divisions are reported to be:

    OSU
    Penn St
    Wisky
    IU
    PU
    Illinois

    Mich
    Nebraska
    Iowa
    NW
    MSU
    Minnesota

    Can't imagine Wisconsin fans are real happy with that breakdown either.

  9. #83
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    270

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    Looks like the game will still be the last of the regular season. Best option under the circumstances, IMO. Sure, it's not the same as before, but that was going to happen regardless. And the risk of a rematch in the championship game? What's the problem with that? That would only add more intrigue and heat to the rivalry, and IMO is the ideal situation for the league and the rivalry.

  10. #84
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,426

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    Quote Originally Posted by jredmo2 View Post
    And the risk of a rematch in the championship game? What's the problem with that? That would only add more intrigue and heat to the rivalry, and IMO is the ideal situation for the league and the rivalry.
    It's a tough game for both teams. If you know that you're going to play the same team twice in 2 weeks, which game do you put more emphasis on?

    I'd rather see the Big Ten skip the Championship game than replicate the rivalry game a week later. Just award the league championship to the division winner with the higher BCS ranking.
    /r/reds

  11. #85
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,167

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I'd rather see the Big Ten skip the Championship game than replicate the rivalry game a week later. Just award the league championship to the division winner with the higher BCS ranking.

    If you aren't going to have a championship game, just skip the divisions and determine the winner the same way they have done.

    But let's not pretend this is about determining a champion and the conference's BCS representative. It's about money and - to a lesser extent - keeping the Big T(welv)en relevant from the end of the regular season to the start of the bowl games. And, possibly, to avoid such a lengthy layoff for the conference champions if they make the BCS championship game.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  12. #86
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,507

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    Sad to see the Big 10 + 2 blow this.
    Go Gators!

  13. #87
    Member Reds Fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    16,498

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    As much as I love the tradition of OSU Michigan being the last game of the year if you are going to put them in seperate divisions I would think you have to move the game up. It makes no sense as intense as that game is every year to leave a possibility of having to come back and play the team you just beat again the next week. The conferences that have champtionship games do not schedule teams from opposite divisions to play right at the end of the year. I don't ever remember seeing an SEC or Big 12 matchup one week and then they turn around and do it again the next week for the championship.

  14. #88
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Culver City, CA
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    As much as I love the tradition of OSU Michigan being the last game of the year if you are going to put them in seperate divisions I would think you have to move the game up. It makes no sense as intense as that game is every year to leave a possibility of having to come back and play the team you just beat again the next week. The conferences that have champtionship games do not schedule teams from opposite divisions to play right at the end of the year. I don't ever remember seeing an SEC or Big 12 matchup one week and then they turn around and do it again the next week for the championship.
    Yeah it doesn't make any sense to have it be the last game. Too many variables that could make the game meaningless. If those are infact the divisions I guess I would like to see Penn State become the last game and have Michigan be two weeks before that with IU or PU between.

  15. #89
    WOOOOO!!! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,366
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  16. #90
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,426

    Re: OSU-UM Football Rivalry

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If you aren't going to have a championship game, just skip the divisions and determine the winner the same way they have done.

    But let's not pretend this is about determining a champion and the conference's BCS representative. It's about money and - to a lesser extent - keeping the Big T(welv)en relevant from the end of the regular season to the start of the bowl games. And, possibly, to avoid such a lengthy layoff for the conference champions if they make the BCS championship game.
    I'd be OK with no divisions, too. It'd be interesting to hear from BCS championship game coaches whether they think a championship helped/hindered their path to and preparation for the title game.

    There aren't enough indoor football venues in the midwest to play a title game. The weather could be really ugly in Chicago in the late November/early December!
    Last edited by Unassisted; 09-01-2010 at 06:10 PM.
    /r/reds


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25