No UFC fans here?

Don't see a thread here.

UFC discussion anyone?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: No UFC fans here?

You just started it. I am a fan.

I dont dislike it, but I think its really boring to watch and think the love for it by a lot of people is because other people think its cool.

I enjoy more style fighting than the meshed up pile of blah MMA is. Boxing, Kick boxing, different types of karate and all that jazz when its basically who is better at doing the sport is more fun to watch to me.

You think UFC is boring? Not me. I'm a fan. I love it. I like to watch MMA a lot more than just boxing matches, etc. There is more strategy IMO.

I've been training at an MMA gym lately (kickboxing and BJJ)... talk about a work out lol

Johnny Cueto Fan

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I dont dislike it, but I think its really boring to watch and think the love for it by a lot of people is because other people think its cool.

I enjoy more style fighting than the meshed up pile of blah MMA is. Boxing, Kick boxing, different types of karate and all that jazz when its basically who is better at doing the sport is more fun to watch to me.
    Meshed up pile of MMA?

What??

I can take or leave MMA. I was really into the sport for a few while when I first discovered it but was quickly put off by, to be frank, the fans. Add onto that the monstrous ego of Dana White and I only casually watch. I can appreciate a good fight to be sure but I don't really make an effort to watch UFC or any other brand of MMA.

Boiler up!

I love MMA. I think one of the main problems lately is that I just don't think many of the UFC fight cards have been that great. Lesnar was out forever. GSP was out for a year. Silva missed a lot of time. It's hard for me to rationalize spending 50 bucks to watch some of the pay per views. I used to get pretty much all of them. Now if I watch it is at Bdubs.

I can't get myself to buy the PPVs either. If I wasn't completely broke, I'd consider it. I'll go to a bar and watch them though.

Quote Originally Posted by blark11 View Post
    I love MMA. I think one of the main problems lately is that I just don't think many of the UFC fight cards have been that great. Lesnar was out forever. GSP was out for a year. Silva missed a lot of time. It's hard for me to rationalize spending 50 bucks to watch some of the pay per views. I used to get pretty much all of them. Now if I watch it is at Bdubs.
    True, but the last two cards have been arguably the two best in UFC history. And every once in awhile Strikeforce will have a few good fights, although whoever their matchmaker is is horrible. I always watch at B-Dubs.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

I'm a casual observer. I'll go to a buddy's house and watch if he's getting it but other than that I don't go out of my way to watch the fights. However, my brother is going to be in town this weekend and he's already informed me that we're getting the fight Saturday night so apparently I'm hosting a UFC party.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

UFC 118 Predictions

BJ Penn d. Frankie Edgar via submission in Round 4
    - I think it will be a very back and forth similar to their last match up. Edgar will win 2 of the first 3 rounds before Penn catches him in a submission.

Randy Couture d. James Toney via stoppage in Round 2
    - Toney will land some good hits, but Couture will hold his own. I'm predicting that Couture will have a hard time getting the big guy down, but once round two begins, Toney will be gassed. Couture then begins his GNP for the win.

Demian Maia d. Mario Miranda via submission in Round 2. Haven't watched much of these guys, but Maia has won against some good competition (Chael Sonnen/Nate Quarry/Ed Herman)

Kenny Florian d. Gray Maynard via submission in Round 3. Maynard is a tough wrestler but I'll predict the black belt in BJJ to find a submission.

Nate Diaz d. Marcus Davis via split decision. Weird match up. They have identical styles (BJJ/Boxing). Davis has more power but Diaz has a 6 inch reach and a good chin. Diaz is better on the ground, but Davis has never been submitted (at least I don't think). Everything points to a Diaz win, but this is only his 2nd fight at 170 and Davis is a "big" 170. Also, Davis' best fighting is a few years behind him.

Gabe Reudiger d. Joe Lauzon via submission in Round 2. Gabe is an idiot so its hard to pick him for the win, but I think his skills overmatch Lauzon's.

Johnny Cueto Fan

Seems like a lot of people are sleepin on Edgar again. Wouldn't be surprised if he beats Penn for a 2nd straight time.

I'm pumped for Couture-Toney . Toney will surprise and come out with a win I think. Powerful, fast hands will put Couture to sleep.

Florian just needs to stick to broadcasting

I wouldn't be surprised either. I just think Penn may have underestimated him some. His game plan was also a little off (ego?), but I think this time around he will do the right thing and take him to the ground.

As for Couture and Toney... I could see Toney getting a big knock out win, but if it doesn't end quick, he will be gassed. The dude is pretty fat.

Johnny Cueto Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised either. I just think Penn may have underestimated him some. His game plan was also a little off (ego?), but I think this time around he will do the right thing and take him to the ground.

As for Couture and Toney... I could see Toney getting a big knock out win, but if it doesn't end quick, he will be gassed. The dude is pretty fat.
    I agree. If Toney wins, it's in the first round. I am a fan of Couture but I love seeing the underdog win if I respect both fighters.

Pretty big UFC guy just didn't think many here were. I know we have had a couple discussions but just didn't seem real big around here.

I'll get the fight tomorrow night for sure and I fully expect Penn to dominate and take his belt back. And fully expect Couture to crush Toney. Toney will be up against the cage before he knows it and on his back as soon as he starts sucking wind. Looking forward to the whole night just hope the Reds have finished off the Cubs by 10.

Turn Off Ads?