Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Moving prospects through the system together

Moving prospects through the system together

Its looking like the start of next year will be an exciting time for Dayton fans, as all of our top prospects will be on one team. What are your thoughts on this? I know that baseball is very much an individual sport, but do you see benefits of keeping all of our young guns together, and moving them through the system as one big group?

Just something to think about...

Btw, wouldn't this be a sweet roster to start next season?

2B: Torreyes
    SS: Hamilton
    CF: Yorman
    RF: Duran
    DH: Matthews
    3B: Arias
    1B: Vidal
    C: Barnhart
    LF: Waldrop

P:
    Lotzaker
    Cisco
    Robles
    Mugarian
    Amezcua

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Moving prospects through the system together

Its looking like the start of next year will be an exciting time for Dayton fans, as all of our top prospects will be on one team. What are your thoughts on this? I know that baseball is very much an individual sport, but do you see benefits of keeping all of our young guns together, and moving them through the system as one big group?

I like the idea of it. But in no way do you hold back the more talented guys just to keep them together as a group...

Your close on some of the guys who'll be in Dayton... I think it will be a little closer to this.

1B Lutz/Kaskow/D'Anna
    2B Hamilton
    3B Santos
    SS Lohman
    LF Garton/Satterwhite/Oliveras/Hunt
    CF Rodriguez
    RF Duran
    C Fleury/Weems

SP Lotzkar
    SP Robles
    SP Corcino
    SP Tuttle
    SP Renken/Cline/Clarke

RP Doyle
    RP Hayes
    RP Panerati
    RP Wolford
    RP Smith
    RP Arico
    RP Martinez

Dayton needs a make over.

In both players and coaches.

I doubt you'll see much in the way of holdovers.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

I see the future of the Reds SS as being Paul Janish, therefore forcing Valaika to play 2nd when Brandon becomes to expensinve....we are not ever going to pay Brandon 15mill/year.....so I could see CV taking his spot then I really could see Bill Hamilton commming up in 2012 and really making some noise. not sure what Billys plate discipline looks like but I think this kid could push for some big league time in 2 years....

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I see the future of the Reds SS as being Paul Janish, therefore forcing Valaika to play 2nd when Brandon becomes to expensinve....we are not ever going to pay Brandon 15mill/year.....so I could see CV taking his spot then I really could see Bill Hamilton commming up in 2012 and really making some noise. not sure what Billys plate discipline looks like but I think this kid could push for some big league time in 2 years....
    Billy Hamilton isn't pushing for big league time in 2 years. He is good, but its going to take him a little longer than that.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Billy Hamilton isn't pushing for big league time in 2 years. He is good, but its going to take him a little longer than that.
    It seems to me that all of these guys are talented, but they are pretty raw. This is why I think it would be beneficial to bring them all together...

Man it would be fun to have a 2013 MLB roster of:

Mesoraco
    Votto
    Torreyes
    Hamilton
    Arias
    Duran
    Yorman
    Bruce

I hate to be Mr. Negative....

Mesoraco
    Votto
    Torreyes
    Hamilton
    Arias
    Duran
    Yorman
    Bruce

Out of those listed names, 5 of the guys are in rookie ball of some level. If two of them make it to the majors I would be pretty happy.

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post

Mesoraco
    Votto
    Torreyes
    Hamilton
    Arias
    Duran
    Yorman
    Bruce

Out of those listed names, 5 of the guys are in rookie ball of some level. If two of them make it to the majors I would be pretty happy.
    Very true, but it cant hurt to be hopeful!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I'll take a back seat to your opinion as you seen him way more than me....I just have heard several good things about him from people who have seen him play...what is a good timetable for him? 3-4 years?

I'm going to assume that the plan for him right now (he's in his age 19 season correct?), is Age 20 in Dayton, Age 21 in High A, Age 22 in AA, Age 23 in AAA (1st season he'll have to be on the 40 man I believe), Age 24-25 in the majors.

Obviously he can speed up or slow down that progression based upon performance/development. I'd love to see that group along w/ some of the pitchers all in Dayton next year, and would love to see a large chunk of them all make it to the show, however even in the most optomistic view where they all become regular, productive major leaguers or better, you'd ideally like a few years seperation b/w the grouping in terms of arbitration years and when they get expensive.

Additionally, projecting that far out is awfully tough to do. There are free agents to be signed, guys like Todd Frasier who could finally put it together (like he seems to be doing after the terrible start to this year) and hold down a spot somewhere for several seasons, or a guy like Yonder who sees he has no futre at 1b for the Reds so figures out how to play LF in the offseason in hopes of making the opening day roster next year. Does bradon resign when he deal is up after next season, or does he seek other opportunities?

but you're right, its fun to dream a bit isn't it.

I am in no way saying you guys are wrong....but I am going to say Billy is going to start making some noise in 2012.....not sure if he will be considered for a call up but I see him doing good enough to where the FO will have no choice but to allow him to move up the ladder.....but I have been wrong plenty of times...including this year....lol

Billy Hamilton is a really talented young kid, but he's also still raw and learning to be a true hitter and not just rely on athleticism. If he hits Double-A by midseason in 2012, even that would be a real aggressive timeline. He'll start 2011 in Dayton and possibly see High A later in the year. Either way, him starting 2012 in High A is the best case scenario in terms of how fast he moves, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post

Mesoraco
    Votto
    Torreyes
    Hamilton
    Arias
    Duran
    Yorman
    Bruce

Not being Mr. Negative, you're just being Mr. Realistic. I would be ECSTATIC if 2 of those guys in rookie ball became regular Major Leaguers. Just the way it is in prospect development.

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
    Not being Mr. Negative, you're just being Mr. Realistic. I would be ECSTATIC if 2 of those guys in rookie ball became regular Major Leaguers. Just the way it is in prospect development.
    I agree....I am going to go back to my Billy H argument.....I see no way he is in AA in 2012. Like I said earlier, I have been wrong on a ton of prospects, thats jut the name of the game....but the few times I have seen him I have seen something special that I dont see in most prospects.....he has a special gift with his glove and his feet.....all he has to figure out is how to hit his pitch and not hit the pitchers pitch....then the sky is the limit for him......will that take him 4 years to figure out? possibly. Billy, Dave Sappelt, Junior Arias, Yorman and Jose are the prospects that just scream...."I am not going to take long before you have to keep moving me up the ladder"

Turn Off Ads?