Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great old Reds photo

Great old Reds photo

http://digital.library.temple.edu/cd...SOBOX=1&REC=11

Scoreboard catches fire at Connie Mack Stadium with Maloney pitching and Rose at third. Found the picture at Uni-Watch site.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Great old Reds photo

I have heard of teams burning up the scoreboard. But this takes it to a new level.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Maloney did throw some serious heat.

great pic Randy- thanks for posting it!
    Last edited by Always Red; 08-25-2010 at 08:59 AM.

The Dom Hefner era, the one where Pete hated playing 3rd (the time most forget)

Pete's stance with his hands on his knees really doesn't look like the proper fielding position. I was always taughtas an infielder not to have the palms of your hands resting on your knees when in the ready position.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Pete's stance with his hands on his knees really doesn't look like the proper fielding position. I was always taughtas an infielder not to have the palms of your hands resting on your knees when in the ready position.
    Me as well, takes extra time, rest your forearms on your thighs.

But then again Pete was never really a good infielder.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The Dom Hefner era, the one where Pete hated playing 3rd (the time most forget)
    You know what is interesting, Pete and Tommy Helms switched positions about 16 games into the season. Any clue why other than Pete hated 3B?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

You know what is interesting, Pete and Tommy Helms switched positions about 16 games into the season. Any clue why other than Pete hated 3B?
    Nope, that's the reason they switched back. Pete had spent quite some time the prior winters working on his 2nd base play, he really thought he was better than the management thought he was. He didn't like the move and he hit horribly as well (didn't top .300 until 8/21) in hopes of placating they moved him back.

In short he made a big stink

"Scoreboard caught fire during game with Cincinatti. No one was injured"

Because there was no one in the stands to be injured.

Pete had to play 3rd because the '65 3B, Deron Johnson, had to move to LF to cover a gap that was traded in the winter. You might remember him.

Bad omen and start in '66. Opening Day was rained out.

Don't know why the scoreboard was on fire. The only one to use it was the Reds who won 4-0. A whopping 6,298 on a Saturday afternoon in Philly came out to see the game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...96604160.shtml
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Shouldn't Maloney have his glove hand tucked in for proper mechanics?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Pete had to play 3rd because the '65 3B, Deron Johnson, had to move to LF to cover a gap that was traded in the winter. You might remember him.
    While true, Johnson by design was a 1st baseman, he only played 3rd because Tommy Harper couldn't cut it there in MLB and DJ had a big bat, at one time he was the Yankees top prospect.

I remember reading one biographies of Pete. This particular author stated that Pete had trouble going to his right and getting enough mustard on the throw back to first base from deep in the second base hole. Other than that, he was a fine second baseman.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    I remember reading one biographies of Pete. This particular author stated that Pete had trouble going to his right and getting enough mustard on the throw back to first base from deep in the second base hole. Other than that, he was a fine second baseman.
    He spent the whole winter after 64 working on his footwork, which was horrendous from all accounts. he was able to improve it but his range was never good after he got a bit more muscle.

I thought I read somewhere that Heffner basically told him he was playing 3rd instead of asking like Sparky did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?