Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 50 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 8/25/10 Reds@Giants - finish on a high note?

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

8/25/10 Reds@Giants - finish on a high note?

Phillips 4
    Heisey 9
    Votto 3
    Rolen 5
    Gomes 7
    Hanigan 2
    Stubbs 8
    Janish 6
    Bailey RHP
    Hope isn't a strategy

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 8/25/10 Reds@Giants - finish on a high note?

That Gomes continues to find himself in the lineup every single day despite providing obvious negative value is an example of the "vet love" critiques aimed at Dusty over the years.

Yes, we're facing a lefty. But Gomes has been an equal opportunity popper-upper and the defensive difference between these two is massive. Why not have Gomes available as a late inning power threat against Affeldt or Lopez. Nix is already there for a LH option. Sigh...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    That Gomes continues to find himself in the lineup every single day despite providing obvious negative value is an example of the "vet love" critiques aimed at Dusty over the years.

Yes, we're facing a lefty. But Gomes has been an equal opportunity popper-upper and the defensive difference between these two is massive. Why not have Gomes available as a late inning power threat against Affeldt or Lopez. Nix is already there for a LH option. Sigh...
    Part of the reason last night is the match up, Jonny being a bay area guy and the feeling that he needs to perform better and the hope that being in front of friends might help start him.

Fact is the bench is short, Heisey also looks worse once a pitcher throws more than 4 pitches in an at bat and (his luster wears thin)

That said, Willie Mays couldn't have caught those balls in the seats last night
    Last edited by westofyou; 08-25-2010 at 01:21 PM.

It's just odd. The guy is a major liability in the field and he isn't hitting a lick. Really can't explain it.

Is Bruce really that much worse of a hitter than Gomes against LH bats? I suggest he isn't and even so his defense is light years better.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Gomes is a likable guy. He is a good bench player. But Dusty's insistence on trotting him out so often is a real head scratcher.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Part of the reason last night is the match up, Jonny being a bay area guy and the feeling that he needs to perform better and the hope that being in front of friends might help start him.

Fact is the bench is short, Heisey also looks worse once a pitcher throws more than 4 pitches in an at bat and (his luster wears thin)

That said, Willie Mays couldn't have caught those balls in the seats last night
    I understand the logic Dusty is using and I appreciate that nothing Gomes did or did not do made the difference last night. Though considering the common supposition is that he's pressing, I'm not sure how having friends and family around will help...

My argument is based on the premise that even a Gomes who is hitting well isn't all that productive, particularly compared to the other 4 active OF who are each plus defenders. It's one thing to play a true "proven vet" who has simply hit a rough patch but who is clearly the best option when going well and who is crucial to the team's success.

But Gomes is not that player, yet he's being treated as if he were. I don't know that Heisey is all that great, small samples and whatnot. But I do know regardless of who is pitching, both Heisey and Bruce are significantly better than Gomes in the field. and that SF has a large OF. And I know that these games are too important to put lesser talent on the field in the hopes of "getting him going" when there are viable alternatives who have been playing well and represent comparable, if not greater, upside value down the stretch.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I understand the logic Dusty is using and I appreciate that nothing Gomes did or did not do made the difference last night. Though considering the common supposition is that he's pressing, I'm not sure how having friends and family around will help...

My argument is based on the premise that even a Gomes who is hitting well isn't all that productive, particularly compared to the other 4 active OF who are each plus defenders. It's one thing to play a true "proven vet" who has simply hit a rough patch but who is clearly the best option when going well and who is crucial to the team's success.

But Gomes is not that player, yet he's being treated as if he were. I don't know that Heisey is all that great, small samples and whatnot. But I do know regardless of who is pitching, both Heisey and Bruce are significantly better than Gomes in the field. and that SF has a large OF. And I know that these games are too important to put lesser talent on the field in the hopes of "getting him going" when there are viable alternatives who have been playing well and represent comparable, if not greater, upside value down the stretch.
    I thought with the OF's the Reds were going to see that Gomes would see no time, but the injuries changed that a bit.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Gomes was a foot shy of going yard last night.
    Today he turns that shy foot into a yard.
    Or something like that.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I think Gomes has a big day today at the plate.

Is this Bumgarner guy any good? His WHIP is terrible considering he has a low 3 ERA.

I'm interested to see Bailey today. This is a very big start. After two days of the starting pitchers getting pummelled, he needs to step up and pitch deep into the game and pitch well enough to finish the road trip with a win.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Is this game televised?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Is this Bumgarner guy any good? His WHIP is terrible considering he has a low 3 ERA.
    I have never seen him throw before, but I believe he was the 3rd top pitching prospect in baseball behind Strasburg and Matusz according to Baseball America coming into the season. However his fastball which was once in the mid to high 90's sits in the low 90's.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    It's just odd. The guy is a major liability in the field and he isn't hitting a lick. Really can't explain it.

Is Bruce really that much worse of a hitter than Gomes against LH bats? I suggest he isn't and even so his defense is light years better.
    He has to be, Gomes currently has the equivalent WAR on the season of Taveras during his Reds tenure, and it would be well below Taveras without his month of may. Patterson, Taveras, Gomes...worst everyday player in baseball running 3 seasons strong!
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Is this game televised?
    yes on FSN

Turn Off Ads?