Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    According to reports, he wants at least sandwich round money.
    What's the slot rate for that round? $500Kish? Or more?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    What's the slot rate for that round? $500Kish? Or more?
    5-600,000. Somewhere in that range.

Little blurbs I found about Tant Shepherd. Hard to believe he's considering signing w/ the Reds as such a late pick...unless it's majorly over slot too.

Tweets are primarily about Tant's Texas teammate:

# @texaslippy $206 is the slotted ... he's asking for more than $412,000 Tuesday, July 06, 2010 5:05:36 PM via web in reply to texaslippy

Final Green tweet: He searching 4 a house with 1B Tant Shepherd, who also is debating btw signing with Reds & returning 4 senior season. #ut Tuesday, July 06, 2010 4:37:54 PM via web

Cole Green is asking Detroit for more than twice the slotted amount, which is $206,000. #ut #horns Tuesday, July 06, 2010 4:36:40 PM via web

The biggest #ut summer baseball story involves P Cole Green. He won't play 4 U.S. team. Will he return to #horns ? http://tinyurl.com/oomcsa Tuesday, July 06, 2010 4:32:50 PM via web

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    5-600,000. Somewhere in that range.
    Do you think the Reds will pony up? $500-600K isn't all that much really in the grand scheme of things.

Do you think the Reds will pony up? $500-600K isn't all that much really in the grand scheme of things.
    If they can get him signed for $500K (or $600K) I think they do it.

If he continues to demand $800K-$1MM, my guess is he goes to college.

If I had to lean one way, I'd guess the latter. FWIW 5th rounder Dickie Thon Jr. just signed with the Blue Jays for $1.5MM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Little blurbs I found about Tant Shepherd. Hard to believe he's considering signing w/ the Reds as such a late pick...unless it's majorly over slot too.
    Any thoughts on why he was not drafted by someone earlier? He had good offensive stats as a starter for a major program. The UT site shows him as a 3B/OF, while BA shows him drafted as 1B. Is it a case of a good ball player who does not profile well for a position at the major league level?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Any thoughts on why he was not drafted by someone earlier? He had good offensive stats as a starter for a major program. The UT site shows him as a 3B/OF, while BA shows him drafted as 1B. Is it a case of a good ball player who does not profile well for a position at the major league level?
    I could be wrong, but I am speculating that it was the year left of eligibility he had left that concerned teams. Further, they may have been unsure of his value and thought with his year of eligibility left that he may have been too expensive since he wasn't a major prospect so he just sort of fell off the radar.

I could be wrong, but I am speculating that it was the year left of eligibility he had left that concerned teams. Further, they may have been unsure of his value and thought with his year of eligibility left that he may have been too expensive since he wasn't a major prospect so he just sort of fell off the radar.
    Certainly seems to be worth taking a shot with a 47th pick. Now he has to weigh a bonus (?) and starting his career early vs trying to play his way into a higher selection next year.

Decided I'd go searching for news stories on some of the unsigned players. Here's one from 6/17 on Cisco just indicating he's planning on taking it easy this summer in anticipation of his next step (pro ball or college). Nothing earth shattering or anything that indicates which way he's leaning.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2...from-baseball/
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

According to the Bakersfield newspaper, Brent Peterson turned down a $250K bonus to attend West Point.

http://www.bakersfield.com/news/loca...ifice-to-serve

Then the scouts came, and the Cincinnati Reds were interested -- very interested. The team selected him earlier this month in the 17th round of the Major League Baseball draft, and offered him $250,000.

But he decided to attend the U.S. Military Academy at West Point instead.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Tant

5th round pick Wes Mugarian got to camp on Wednesday and will begin throwing on Monday. Hope we get Cisco cant really see himself helping his stock pitching in the SEC he is very talented but that conference usually eats up young pitchers especially if they dont have overpowering stuff . I know there are exceptions and good freshman every year but thats my opinion.

But if he gets to campus, he's there for at least 3 years, so even if he struggles as a freshman, he'll have 2 more years to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by NewRedsFan View Post
    5th round pick Wes Mugarian got to camp on Wednesday and will begin throwing on Monday. Hope we get Cisco cant really see himself helping his stock pitching in the SEC he is very talented but that conference usually eats up young pitchers especially if they dont have overpowering stuff . I know there are exceptions and good freshman every year but thats my opinion.

Very true just saying from my experiences its hard to move up once you are a top 5 round guy and is the risk worth the reward

According to this brief article, 32nd rounder, Jaren Matthews has signed.

http://www.timesargus.com/article/20...27/1004/SPORTS

By KRIS MARTIN CORRESPONDENT - Published: July 7, 2010

The comings and goings for the Vermont Mountaineers have been plentiful this year. The team has already watched three catchers leave for various reasons, and most recently first baseman Jaren Matthews signed up with the Cincinnati Reds organization. But his locker wasn't empty for long; the cavalry has arrived.

Turn Off Ads?