Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

...and he has a good shot at being a solid utilityman.
    Out side of the top 10, I don'tmind picks that profile as solid utility players, but I'd don't like it being termed as the ceiling for our thrd and fourth round picks.

Utility players we can find every year in free agancy for close to the minimum. I'd rather use the third and fourth round picks on guys that have pop and projectability, but may have more risk or are signability questions than use them on utility IFs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Out side of the top 10, I don'tmind picks that profile as solid utility players, but I'd don't like it being termed as the ceiling for our thrd and fourth round picks.

Utility players we can find every year in free agancy for close to the minimum. I'd rather use the third and fourth round picks on guys that have pop and projectability, but may have more risk or are signability questions than use them on utility IFs.
    Agreed.

I'm not thrilled about either of those two picks, but that seems to be Buckley's MO. Not quite sure why they'd take guys like that over a pitcher with huge upside like James Paxton, but can't micro-analyze every pick in the draft. Of course you never know who will emerge, but I believe the success of this class will rest heavily with Grandal, LaMarre, Cisco, and Waldrop. Anyone else will be gravy IMO.

Interesting to note that Sickels said Grandal plays "very strong defense."
    Go BLUE!!!

Kurtis Muller officially done #22

http://host.madison.com/sports/baseb...cc4c002e0.html

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Nice signing. Thi kid could develop and get stronger, but you can't teach speed. Could be the CF/leadoff guy for Billings. This is the start of a real flurry of guys not in the Super Regionals. I'd like to see those HS arms and Waldrop sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agreed.

I'm not thrilled about either of those two picks, but that seems to be Buckley's MO. Not quite sure why they'd take guys like that over a pitcher with huge upside like James Paxton, but can't micro-analyze every pick in the draft. Of course you never know who will emerge, but I believe the success of this class will rest heavily with Grandal, LaMarre, Cisco, and Waldrop. Anyone else will be gravy IMO.

Interesting to note that Sickels said Grandal plays "very strong defense."
    Money. Perhaps the Reds didn't like Paxton at the rate he is expected to demand, I don't agree but maybe the scouts didn't like him that much. The farm is operating on a budget and seems to like taking most of their risks in the international market. This is not a bad idea as you can often find high upside talent at a lower cost than in the draft. After taking Grandal (who is expected to have a pretty high asking price) they decided to draft a few signable guys rather than throw away picks on guys that they had no intention of signing.
    Overall though, a very solid draft and another step in the right direction for our farm system. We continue to build the upper levels of our system through drafting low risk players while building our high upside talent through the international market. It will only be a few years from now that the two will begin merging together to create a farm system that is both very deep and also having several high upside players at the higher levels. This method should begin to start producing a very solid stream of players to the big league team as well as a few "studs" every now and again. I really like where the organization as a whole is heading.

That is true, I think you are undervaluing what a utility player brings to a club. Good utility players are harder to find and cost more than the minimum. A team can find Cairo's and J. Cabrera's and Andy Phillips' and Mark Belhorn's for the minimum all day, every day. But a winning team needs to be able to have a real backup for every position, so they don't lose ground when they have injuries.

Last year, one of the biggest problems was the number of AB's that Rosales got at 3B and Hernandez got at 1B. A good utility guy can be almost as valuable to a team as starter, if he is pressed into duty and holds his own. I would say that Dickerson and Janish have been very valuable as utility players and that it definitely would cost more than the minimum to replace their production since they've joined the Reds.

I think one key element of a winning organization is that they fill out their roster with homegrown talent. They don't have to spend money or talent to get solid middle relievers and bench players who can fill in for starters, they can just call up guys from the minors.

If Lohman and Greene become as valuable as Hairston was for the team, I think the Reds made good use of their 3rd and 4th round picks this season.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Nice signing. Thi kid could develop and get stronger, but you can't teach speed. Could be the CF/leadoff guy for Billings. This is the start of a real flurry of guys not in the Super Regionals. I'd like to see those HS arms and Waldrop sign.
    Yorman will be playing CF in Billings, LaMarre in Dayton, Perez/Fellhauer in Lynchburg, and Sappelt in Carolina.

Looks like Muller will have to learn a corner spot unless he is going to start in the AZL.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    That is true, I think you are undervaluing what a utility player brings to a club. Good utility players are harder to find and cost more than the minimum. A team can find Cairo's and J. Cabrera's and Andy Phillips' and Mark Belhorn's for the minimum all day, every day. But a winning team needs to be able to have a real backup for every position, so they don't lose ground when they have injuries.

I think one key element of a winning organization is that they fill out their roster with homegrown talent. They don't have to spend money or talent to get solid middle relievers and bench players who can fill in for starters, they can just call up guys from the minors.

If Lohman and Greene become as valuable as Hairston was for the team, I think the Reds made good use of their 3rd and 4th round picks this season.
    Agree. If a third or fourth draft choice projects to be a solid major leaguer -- even in a utility role -- he is worth it. Although I wouldn't be too rough on Cairo, he's been excellent.

The key is getting major leaguers out of the draft. Starting players, bench players, starting pitchers, relievers.

And people are being too rough on the Lohman selection. From what I read, he has a shot to be a good shortstop, although without much power.

If a third or fourth draft choice projects to be a solid major leaguer -- even in a utility role -- he is worth it. Although I wouldn't be too rough on Cairo, he's been excellent.

The key is getting major leaguers out of the draft. Starting players, bench players, starting pitchers, relievers.

And people are being too rough on the Lohman selection. From what I read, he has a shot to be a good shortstop, although without much power.
    Agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Agree. If a third or fourth draft choice projects to be a solid major leaguer -- even in a utility role -- he is worth it. Although I wouldn't be too rough on Cairo, he's been excellent.

I realize that the odds are stacked against most draft choices and even a utility guy or journeyman reliever is a success. I just think that you should aim higher in the 3rd and 4th rounds - even if you miss.

I realize that the odds are stacked against most draft choices and even a utility guy or journeyman reliever is a success. I just think that you should aim higher in the 3rd and 4th rounds - even if you miss.
    Absolutely, of course I think Buckley thinks more of these guys than that but he hasn't really done a great job of proving this theory. Valaika is turning out to be that UT guy that he was predicted to be and between Watson, Stewart and Boxberger nothing has really worked out the way we'd hoped for. Sure we used Stewart and his value to pick up a major league player but still none of the guys have quite panned out developmentally yet. We could find more examples of this in the 1st 5 rounds or so I'm sure but these guys are a picture of the mediocrity we can expect with high value selections. I suppose you could look at it like they prefer to play it safe and get some value early while taking more risky higher ceiling types later, which is fine as long as you are not then drafting "safe, low ceiling" types later as well. Also when you get those guys (Perez and Merrero from last year come to mind) you have to sign them because you are likely not going over slot with the Valaika's, Watsons and Boxbergers.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Absolutely, of course I think Buckley thinks more of these guys than that but he hasn't really done a great job of proving this theory. Valaika is turning out to be that UT guy that he was predicted to be and between Watson, Stewart and Boxberger nothing has really worked out the way we'd hoped for. Sure we used Stewart and his value to pick up a major league player but still none of the guys have quite panned out developmentally yet. We could find more examples of this in the 1st 5 rounds or so I'm sure but these guys are a picture of the mediocrity we can expect with high value selections. I suppose you could look at it like they prefer to play it safe and get some value early while taking more risky higher ceiling types later, which is fine as long as you are not then drafting "safe, low ceiling" types later as well. Also when you get those guys (Perez and Merrero from last year come to mind) you have to sign them because you are likely not going over slot with the Valaika's, Watsons and Boxbergers.
    I think that Cisco and Waldrop are this year's examples of this. Hopefully they can sign them unlike Perez and Marrero from last year.

But I agree with both you and corkedbat on this. You have to aim high.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sounds like just a matter of time on the senior catcher from Meechigan.

Berset followed LaMarre in the lineup and coincidentally may also follow him to Cincinnati. The Reds drafted him as well and have offered Berset a contract, which he had not yet signed as of Saturday. The co-captain enjoyed a breakout senior season and was a semifinalist for the Johnny Bench Award, named for the former Red and given to the best collegiate catcher in the nation.
    http://www.michigandaily.com/content...cted-mlb-draft

You have to aim high.
    I understand the sentiment, but this kind of critique really has to begin and end with the draft budget. Cherrypicking individual selections without knowing how much the team plans to spend, or where in the draft it will spend, is jumping the gun, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I understand the sentiment, but this kind of critique really has to begin and end with the draft budget. Cherrypicking individual selections without knowing how much the team plans to spend, or where in the draft it will spend, is jumping the gun, IMO.

Also, it may be that the team didn't see guys available in the third and fourth round with high upsides, who the scouts liked, and were signable for reasonable amounts.

So rather than waste the third/fourth picks they go with (possibly) lower ceiling guys but potential major leaguers who were signable.

Judgment call.

Turn Off Ads?