Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

Also, it may be that the team didn't see guys available in the third and fourth round with high upsides, who the scouts liked, and were signable for reasonable amounts.

So rather than waste the third/fourth picks they go with (possibly) lower ceiling guys but potential major leaguers who were signable.

Judgment call.
    Again, agree 100%.

Just very hesitant to pan a pick until the player plays a while.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Again, agree 100%.

Just very hesitant to pan a pick until the player plays a while.
    That is fair. All I'm saying is Buckley's history with these types of players suggests otherwise (Valaika, Cozart, Turner, etc.)
    Go BLUE!!!

All I'm saying is Buckley's history with these types of players suggests otherwise (Valaika, Cozart, Turner, Frazier, etc.)
    Turner had value (used in the Hernandez trade), and it remains to be seen what the org gets out of the other 3. But each one does carry value as a guy who has played well through AA and in spurts at AAA.

Billy Hamilton is probably more to your liking, but he's got a long way to go before anyone can visualize him in a big league uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Turner had value (used in the Hernandez trade), and it remains to be seen what the org gets out of the other 3. But each one does carry value as a guy who has played well through AA and in spurts at AAA.

Billy Hamilton is probably more to your liking, but he's got a long way to go before anyone can visualize him in a big league uniform.
    I would argue that Turner was more of a throw-in with Freel, Waring and salary relief being the centerpieces of that trade. The fact that Turner was recently released by the O's seems to corroborate that.

Have they provided more value than third round picks of the past like Alan Moye and Jose Rondo? Sure. But early in the draft, I'd like to see more picks like Billy Hamilton- guys who may miss, but could have huge impacts if they hit. To be fair, the Reds philosophy appears to be going after these types of guys on the international market.

To me, guys like Drew Sutton, Chris Valaika, Justin Turner, etc. are a commodity. No need to pay someone close to a league minimum salary to sign and maybe turn out to be one of those guys one day, when you can acquire one at the big league level for the same cost.
    Go BLUE!!!

I would argue that Turner was more of a throw-in with Freel, Waring and salary relief being the centerpieces of that trade. The fact that Turner was recently released by the O's seems to corroborate that.
    You can't strip him of value entirely. That's just willful refusal to accept the reality that on some level the Orioles wanted him.

Have they provided more value than third round picks of the past like Alan Moye and Jose Rondo? Sure. But early in the draft, I'd like to see more picks like Billy Hamilton- guys who may miss, but could have huge impacts if they hit. To be fair, the Reds philosophy appears to be going after these types of guys on the international market.
    They've provided much more value than the insta-washouts you mention. And they haven't peaked yet. Agreed on the main point, which cannot be overemphasized -- the team is hunting and paying for high ceiling in Latin America, and this eases the need to dicker with toolsy high schoolers who have negotiating leverage.

To me, guys like Drew Sutton, Chris Valaika, Justin Turner, etc. are a commodity. No need to pay someone close to a league minimum salary to sign and maybe turn out to be one of those guys one day, when you can acquire one at the big league level for the same cost.
    The reality is that teams need to run a minor league system that will produce the kind of players you want, and you want the players in that system to do well so that when they get to the big leagues, they're ready to contribute to a winning team. Under your approach, the organization would be drafting a bunch kids who would flame out in lower levels -- those high-ceiling low-floor types fail more quickly -- leaving your AA and AAA teams with a bunch of castoffs and mercenaries in their starting lineups. I can see this being especially true in the middle infield. Not a good recipe for building a variety of things within your system -- cohesion/energy, winning, execution. When you're constituting a good portion of your upper-level rosters every year, you're not building anything unified. You've got a bunch of guys playing for themselves, just fill-ins around a select few the organization values. And that can have a negative effect on how those "potential stars" see themselves, too. I don't think that's the way to go.

Is it just me or shouldn't a good number of these guys be signing by now? Other than 1st round picks, I remember in years past 10-15 selections signing within the first week. It seems a lot of other teams have already done this. What seems to be the holdup?

Does anyone know when the Rookie Leagues start?
    Go BLUE!!!

The calender is goofy this year, and the College World Series didn't really get going until last week. The signings will be coming soon.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I'm sure the holdup is just in making the annnouncements.

15th Round Stephen Hunt signed.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

2nd item in story

Hunt drafted as pitcher will be hitter

From John Fay - Reds announce 14 signings

2. Ryan LaMarre, CF, Michigan
    3. Devin Lohman, SS, Long Beach State
    4. Brodie Greene, SS, Texas A&M
    7. Jose Amezcua, RHP, Bellflower (Calif.) High
    8. David Vidal, 2B, Miami-Dade Community College
    9. Tanner Robles, LHP, Oregon State
    15. Steven Hunt, RF, U. of South Floirda
    18. Robert Maddox, LF, Ohio U.
    22. Kurtis Muller, CF, U. of Iowa
    24. Patrick Doyle, RHP, Missouri State
    29. Adam Muenster, 3B, Kansas State
    31. Dominic D’Anna, 1B, Cal State Northridge
    38. Matthew Leonard, LHP, Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo
    49. El’Hajj Muhammad, RHP, Community College of Morris County

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...n-14-draftees/

6 out of first 10

6 out of first 10
    Solid start.

Mugarian, Cisco and Waldrop are the big question marks. I hope they can sign Arico too.

Amezcua is a good sign. I've heard he is a good sleeper pick. I'm glad they inked Robles too.

Sign Grandal, Mugarian, Cisco, Arico, and Waldrop and I'll be happy. Anyone else that signs after that will be a bonus.

Sign Grandal, Mugarian, Cisco, Arico, and Waldrop and I'll be happy. Anyone else that signs after that will be a bonus.
    You gotta hope they bring in big Lucas O'Rear, too.

Turn Off Ads?