Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adversity doesn't build character....

Adversity doesn't build character....

.... it reveals it.

There's been a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over the last three games.

It's easy to see what happened and question the talent level of this team. Certainly the pitching was enough to cause even the most optimistic of us to cringe.

But there was something else going on that is completely different than what we've observed over the last decade. In prior years, I think we'd all expect to see the team fold. How many times did we see the dreaded west coast swing do us in?

This team seems different. I've always held that talent is the final arbiter. But I've always felt that "chemistry" was an important, albeit unquantifiable component.

This team doesn't quit. They don't roll over when they're down. They get two out hits to produce runs.

They believe in themselves.

I think that it's far more instructive as to the type of team we have here that they never quit. They keep coming back, even on days like today, blowing a big lead.

I think that they gained more from coming back today than they would have had they coasted to a easy win, as it appeared they would.

Had they lost today, it would have been devestating. Had they tucked their tails between their legs and rolled over and taken the beating, it would have been just the kind of thing we've seen so many times in the past on the handful of "fool's gold" overachieving teams of the lost decade.

They didn't quit. That's huge.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Adversity doesn't build character....

Well, if they make the playoffs and then win some like this in the playoffs... it will be legendary!
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

If nothing else, I'm hoping this Giants series and today's fireworks launches this team on another nice streak.

They've sure had the fight taken to them in a multitude of games and series over the season, and they've responded well and taken the fight right back to another opponent immediately thereafter. Today, they were able to take the fight right back to the Giants and finally reclaim a game that they had let slip away unlike the two previous debacles.

I'm looking forward to a 5-1 homestand myself.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

This team folded in Philadelphia and everyone wrote them off. Done. Finished. Kaput.

They are taking punches. They are still in first place and just went 6-3 on a Western road trip and played a Giants team who wanted to get home after St. Louis.

Thumbs up. I've bought tickets for games in September. I'm invested and I'm in.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    If nothing else, I'm hoping this Giants series and today's fireworks launches this team on another nice streak.

They've sure had the fight taken to them in a multitude of games and series over the season, and they've responded well and taken the fight right back to another opponent immediately thereafter. Today, they were able to take the fight right back to the Giants and finally reclaim a game that they had let slip away unlike the two previous debacles.

I'm looking forward to a 5-1 homestand myself.
    You might want to go and try to increase that 3-8 record you have.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

With all the crap Coco gets, today was as big a performance as he has had with the Reds. Two innings of shutout ball with the way the Giants were hitting in the series, and getting through the 5-6-7 holes to boot that no one else was able to do. My heart has just now quit pumping. That was a brutal game.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    You might want to go and try to increase that 3-8 record you have.

It's been brutal, man, just brutal. I've had winning records for years now, and finally the year in which the Reds are legitimately contending it seems like I just can't attend a winner live.

Maybe I'll see some regression to the mean in the playoffs. I'd sure take that.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Nice post RFS.

There have been probably too many times to count on my hands this season where I keep thinking the Reds are going to slip back and fall of a cliff, but it seems that these are just downticks on a stock with constant upward momentum. A stock that is going beyond the price levels anyone expected.

This team just has something about them...
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Great post.

The biggest thing I love about the Reds this year is how they are all about the TEAM. The TEAM won the game, the TEAM didn't play good defense, the TEAM got some 2 out hits, the TEAM had great pitching, and so on and so on. If you see an interview with just about any Red, they're talking about the team and not really focusing on their own stats or own accomplishments. It's all about helping the TEAM win the game. That's so awesome to see and I think that's a big part of the reason they've had so much success. You're right that you can't really quantify 'chemistry' and things like that for a team but no one will ever convince me that they don't play a part in how some teams do each season.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I like the way that this team gets up off the mat. But I'd rather they avoid the punches that put them there to begin with.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

at 6:50 EST....after giving up the lead and trailing 11-10 headed to the 9th......and the Cards facing the Pirates.....it looked certain to be a 1 1/2 game lead at the end of the night. Fast forward a few hours, and it 's 3 1/2 games.

The Reds of the previous 5 years would have been sucking their thumb, curled up in the dugout. It's just a different era for the Reds, and I'm liking it.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

The offense doesn't give up and I love that, but the pitching gets their brains beaten in a bit too much for my comfort.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The offense doesn't give up and I love that, but the pitching gets their brains beaten in a bit too much for my comfort.
    Agreed. Some 8-2 wins would be nice.

Even some 8-5 wins.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I agree. These guys, to a man, leave it all on the field every night. Some nights they don't come back, but you know they are still fighting. Each improbable comeback increases their confidence to do it again, until now it's ingrained in them. They expect to come back. Even down 6 or 8 runs, I can't quit watching them...I couldn't bear to miss another miraculous resurrection.
    That said, I think the Giants have quite a team themselves. Much like the Reds, their entire lineup is capable of doing some damage on offense. They don't have any pushovers there. Unfortunately, I don't think this bodes well for the Reds hopes to go deep into the 2010 playoffs. They haven't figured out how to consistently win against superior competition. They've finally figured out how to win the ones they're supposed to win most of the time...it's the top teams who still give them fits. They need to find a way to 'turn it up a notch' when the opponent is challenging. They are young and I have confidence in their ability to learn that over time. I just love watching these guys play Reds' baseball.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

It sure is entertaining to root for a good team, especially one in a pennant race.

I'm really happy for the younger fans in Reds Country. Now they know the feeling.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 08-26-2010 at 03:43 AM.

Turn Off Ads?