Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marge knew JimBo was a mistake.

Marge knew JimBo was a mistake.

According to the article on Bob Quinn in today's Enquirer:

"After Piniella left the Reds following the 1992 season and Schott chose not to extend Quinn's contract, Quinn took the GM's job in San Francisco. Later, he made a trip into Cincinnati with the Giants and recalls "Tom the Sandwich Man" in the press dining room at Riverfront Stadium telling him that "Mrs. Schott is looking for you."

That day, Schott told Quinn, "You know, honey, I made a mistake. I listened to too many people, and I didn't know who to trust." And that was all she said, and she walked away, Quinn recalls.

"Over all these years, I've never told anybody that story except my family," Quinn said."
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Re: Marge knew JimBo was a mistake.

Look what it got her. Did the Reds not offer Lou an extension or did he just not take it? I was in high school but don't remember how it went down.

I would have loved to have seen how the 90s would have turned out with Lou in the dugout and Quinn in the front office. But even with the mistakes of their departures, the team still had a chance to be great with Davey Johnson in the dugout, and that got messed up, too.

That was the same year the Bengals traded in Sam Wyche for David Shula and Boomer Esiason for David Klingler. Meanwhile, the Packers were trading a draft pick for an Atlanta Falcons quarterback who had thrown five passes in his rookie season. His name was Favre. Missed opportunities...
    Last edited by macro; 08-26-2010 at 11:33 AM.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I wonder if she told the same thing to Bill Bergesch and Murray Cook?

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    Look what it got her. Did the Reds not offer Lou an extension or did he just not take it? I was in high school but don't remember how it went down.
    They waited until after the season to offer Lou an extension and that pissed him off. I recall his interview and he said "I didn't want to come back."

Basically Lou and his ego didn't like being treated that way. If they'd offered an extension earlier in the year and told him how great he was, he likely would have stayed.

This was a mistake of handling personnel; very common problem throughout the Marge yrs

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I wonder if she told the same thing to Bill Bergesch and Murray Cook?
    Yep, they had three straight really good GMs (four if you count Howsam's second tenure) and each was let go too soon. Then the worst of the bunch (Bowden) kept his job for over ten years.

I don't remember who made what decisions, but the decision to keep Larkin over Stillwell and the trades for Danny Jackson and Jose Rijo were brilliant.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

http://baseballminutia.com/blog/2006...-measuring-up/

Bill Bergesch – Hired October 1984
    Former Title – Director of Baseball Operations – New York Yankees.

First Move – Keefe Cato to San Diego for Darren Burroghs. Bergesch made only 2 trades in his first 8 months on the job.

Most Famous Player Traded First – Cesar Cedeno was traded to the Cardinals in August for Mark Jackson. Cesar was out of the game the next year but strung together 76 magical at bats for the NL pennant winners.

Most Famous Trade Pickup – Buddy Bell, 10 months in to the job Bergesch made his first significant trade and it was steal, trading Duane Walker and Jeff Russell in mid July of 1985.

Best Young Player Pickup – Slow on the draw was Bergesch’s main problem it took him 15 months to pick up a future impact Red, once again though it was steal, with the Reds relinquishing Wayne Krenchicki and ending up with Norm Charlton.

See Ya – Who’d he cut? – Every GM usually comes aboard with a plan and often that doesn’t include the former regimes players. So the axe often swings freely, in Bergesch’s tenure the axe took down longtime Reds Frank Pastore.

Biggest Mistake – Being slow with the trade trigger was Bill’s biggest headache and it would eventually cost him his job as he held on to both the Reds shortstop prospects and the quickly multiplying outfield prospects.

First Draft – Bergesch endeared himself to Reds fans forever by being the GM who chose Barry Larkin with the 4th pick in the 1985 draft.

Murray Cook – Hired October 1987
    Former Title: Montreal GM and Yankee Employee.

First Move – – Unlike his predecessor Cook started off with a bang, trading Kurt Stillwell for left hander Danny Jackson, who would be a major player for the Reds for the next few years.

Most Famous Player Traded First – Targeting pitching was Cooks first order of business, so he moved Dave Parker for Jose Rijo and Tim Birtsas.

Most Famous Trade Pickup – Danny Jackson was an established starter who immediately strengthened the Reds weak staff.

Best Young Player Pickup – Jose Rijo would go on to be one of the best pitchers in team history.

See Ya – Who’d he cut? – Cook was the man who sent Tom Hume into the coaching profession in the autumn of 1987.

Biggest Mistake – Saddled without a first round choice in the 1988 draft Cook took Jeff Branson with the number one pick, in a draft that was largely disappointing from top to bottom for the Reds.

First Draft – See above.

Bob Quinn – Hired October 1989
    Former Title: Yankee Employee

First Move – – It almost seems common with Reds general managers, the first deal is usually a deal for arms, and in Cook’s case it was no different, in December he sent John Franco to the Mets for Randy Meyers and Kip Gross.

Most Famous Player Traded First – John Franco was the Reds closer and a fan favorite, evidently he was easy to replace.

Most Famous Trade Pickup – Billy Hatcher/Bill Doran. Not looking for big name players Quinn’s biggest names acquired would both play roles in the 1990 teams run for the title, and neither would cost more then a middling prospect.

Best Young Player Pickup – Quinn’s 2nd trade was a steal for the Reds as Quinn picked the pocket of his former employers the Yankees and traded Tim Leary and Van Snider for Hal Morris.

See Ya – Who’d he cut? – Quinn was the man responsible finally getting Dave Collins of the field of play.

Biggest Mistake – The man drove the bus to the World Series in his first season, we’ll give this one a pass.

First Draft – In Quinn’s first draft he created what some consider a cardinal sin, he drafted a catcher with his first pick. Holy Steve Swisher, it didn’t fail… nor impress many either.

I don't know.. I have a hard time believing that Bergess was better than Bowden. I read WOY's recap, and this confirms it.

Bowden was not a man that I'd want my sons to emulate, but he put together good teams in 95, 95, and 99. He got Jr here. He brought in a lot of talent and considering Marge didn't want to spend any money on the "little leaguers" (farm team), it's amazing how good a team he put together.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Who was the GM that lost Reggie Jefferson to CLE on a waiver SNAFU?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Who was the GM that lost Reggie Jefferson to CLE on a waiver SNAFU?
    Actually, it wasn't a snafu at all. It was intentional. The Reds were trying to send him back to the minors to avoid paying him ML salary, IIRC.
    The Reds were fully aware of the risk they were taking, and understood the rules.

File that under the stupid things, like Marge making people save old office paper work to use as scratch paper..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Bowden was not a man that I'd want my sons to emulate, but he put together good teams in 95, 95, and 99. He got Jr here. He brought in a lot of talent and considering Marge didn't want to spend any money on the "little leaguers" (farm team), it's amazing how good a team he put together.
    I think Bowden often gets a bad rap based upon the end to his GM tenure. He did become a pompous arrogant guy but the reality is, when given the money to play with, he put together competitive clubs. I still remember when Carl Linder blocked trades for Chuck Finley because it would add about $.25M and Bartolo Colon because he wouldn't pick up a $5M option for the next season. He did have an affinity for "toolsy" type players, and I wouldn't want him running any kind of minor league draft/system. But as a deal maker in the 90's for the Reds Bowden did a nice job.

I don't know.. I have a hard time believing that Bergess was better than Bowden. I read WOY's recap, and this confirms it.

Bowden was not a man that I'd want my sons to emulate, but he put together good teams in 95, 95, and 99. He got Jr here.
    I think it's a mistake to say anyone but Jr. brought Jr. to the Reds. Once he said he wanted to go home (actually the Reds, Mets, Braves or Astros) I believe any GM for the Reds would have needed to try to acquire him. The fans wanted that trade pretty badly.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

File that under the stupid things, like Marge making people save old office paper work to use as scratch paper..
    Not to say ol' Marge was progressive in any way, shape or deed, but that's a pretty green practice right there.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I think it's a mistake to say anyone but Jr. brought Jr. to the Reds. Once he said he wanted to go home (actually the Reds, Mets, Braves or Astros) I believe any GM for the Reds would have needed to try to acquire him. The fans wanted that trade pretty badly.
    The hardest part though was convincing John Allen + Lindner to agree.
    Then getting Jr to agree to about 1/2 his market value.
    I'm pretty sure DanO could not have pulled that deal off (or would've even tried). Bowden had John Allen on the radio saying the Jr deal was dead, yet still managed to pull it off. It's a testament to Bowden getting things done.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    That day, Schott told Quinn, "You know, honey, I made a mistake. I listened to too many people, and I didn't know who to trust." And that was all she said, and she walked away, Quinn recalls.
    So Marge apologized without using the words "I'm sorry" or giving the person she wronged an opportunity to say anything?

Sounds like Marge alright.

Turn Off Ads?