Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Was Brandon Phillips' "I Hate the Cards" rant actually genius?

Was Brandon Phillips' "I Hate the Cards" rant actually genius?

Well, it looked pretty stupid 2 weeks ago... but now, considering the Reds are coming off a West Coast road trip with a 4 game lead... it's looking like that series left the Cards flat and the Reds invigorated.

If the Reds can maintain a 4 game or more lead heading into the St. Louis series, we could get swept and still hold the lead coming out of there. And I think we'd all be pretty disappointed if we don't at least hold our ground with a 6 game homestand against the Cubs and Brewers coming up. I don't think we're going to go 6-0 like some of the overly optimistic posters here, but anything short of 4-2 will be poor.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Was Brandon Phillips' "I Hate the Cards" rant actually genius?

I'm not sure how much of an impact the quote had on the performance of both teams going forward, but in this day/age of players giving nothing but cliche answers, I appreciate the brutal honesty he delivered. It also signifies that we are finally good enough to have a real rival.

So checking the math since that date:

Winning % against teams he ranted against .000
    Winning % against teams he did not rant against .750

I am going to say no it was not genius. They seem to do much better against teams when he keeps his mouth shut and they just play the games. Also throw in the fact that he apparently used all his energy running his mouth and ended up with 1 hit in the entire Cardinals series would be another reason to keep his mouth shut.

Decidedly not genius, but I like his fire regardless. It's good to see players wanting to fight - reminds me of past great Reds teams.
    Brian

Editor StorageReview.com - SSD & HDD Reviews

It is impossible to know what effect, if any, "the rant" had on wins and losses, but I am confident that the rant was not genius.

I don't know, but it sure is hilarious watching the Cards implode.

Cardinals blew their wad against us and have been flat since.

Still, "not genius" by BP. Especially considering he ended up with 1 hit for the series after all that smacktalk.

I think what Brandon did that series, with both his words and his actions, was cause the Cards to peak too early emotionally. And obviously they haven't been able to maintain that level of play since they left Cincy. STL has played since, and is still playing now, like a team that left it all on the field in Cincinnati, while the Reds are playing like a team that knew that series was only 3 games out of 162 - nothing more, nothing less.

At this point it definitely makes Brandon look brilliant.

Name calling will never be brilliant. He could have said the same thing using completely different dialogue. Maybe his words inspired the cardinals to play better for that series. I don't read any more into the games since that time as once the teams went their own way, each has to play teams not directly associated with the NL Central pennant race.

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

He just said what many teams and players think.People are tired of the Cards elitist attitude.They believe the Central belongs to them,and that boat don't float this season Mister.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

without that fire and attitude, we are not the same team...that is fact...the Reds are lacking in a few areas of the team, but they make up for it with grit, fire and an attention to detail.....if the 2010 Reds just went out there and played great ball without a fire inside them, they would not be where they are today. Sometimes that fire can hurt you if you do not have the right combo of vets, but we have enough vets to keep most the youngins grounded yet still wanting to kill the other team, the Cardinals.....They just need to find a way to keep that fire when they go into St Louis. we cannot get swept again...

Turn Off Ads?